Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Dash-Cam

Old 09-28-2015, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash-Cam

Given Ultra_Nexus' 'success' capturing Evo-Man in action, I was prompted to invest in a dash-cam, in an attempt to capture - primarily - the insane overtaking by drivers in and around where I live, and as an added bonus, the maniacs on bikes and belligerent cyclists.

Deciding upon which dash-cam to buy could easily have been a soul destroying activity, so I went for one recommended on dashcamtalk.com. It's an Elephas A118 C for the incredible sum of only £49 - plus cost of Micro SD red and a tenner for the GPS unit.

It took about 5 minutes to install and the picture quality is quite remarkable given what it cost. It appears to work OK, starting to record as soon as the car is started and providing useful file management and setup options. I am going to have to remember to switch of the sound recording though.

Hopefully there is nothing interesting to upload...
Old 09-28-2015, 11:54 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

if i had one in both cars i woulda caught a fat chav berating me for hood down 'itssss nor sunneh'

and a bloke in one of those new Jags making my Eisenmann race sound as gay as

that is all
Old 09-28-2015, 12:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have remove the card and transfer recordings manually (assuming there's something worth viewing) or does it upload to the cloud or whatever? If, after hours of actionless footage, the card becomes full, will it just overwrite old recordings?

Good idea but sounds like it might be a bit high maintenance ...
Old 09-28-2015, 12:37 PM

Yeah; the £49 doesn't buy upload via phone. It's a matter of pulling the card and sticking it in the computer to download.

The data overhead would be too large in any case; each 5 minute 'chapter' is c. 350MB.

The camera records until the card is full, and once it reaches capacity, it begins to overwrite the oldest file first. 32GB is the largest capacity card it can use, which is good for c. 3.5 hours.

It is very PC centric; the plain video files can be read by a Mac', but for integration with GPS data, there is only Windows software apparently.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:53 PM

a good review My link

Loved the review video. I liked the motion activated setting, could prove interesting during the next service.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been using an iON (Air Pro 2) on the bike ... one thing I find is that it so wide, with a 180 degree field of view, that all the interesting stuff I see looks too far away on playback.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 PM

I've had an EPrance 801 for a few months £48 with SD card
Nice and compact with some nifty little features
Old 09-29-2015, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are these all wired in, and if so, how?
Old 09-29-2015, 10:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the 118 in two of my cars. Hardwired install in both with fuse jumpers. Wouldn't be without them. Caught a person who took off the side of my wife's evoque mirror, then did a runner (she was sat in car). Followed the offender who pulled over. Whole lot on camera, submitted to insurer and admitted liability same day.

Also caught some 'maintenance' going on in my s4 when it was in for a minor repair on the rear bumper. Uploaded footage to the repair centre. Caused them some issues. Proper Ronnie Pickering stuff
Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiskine
Do you have remove the card and transfer recordings manually (assuming there's something worth viewing) or does it upload to the cloud or whatever? If, after hours of actionless footage, the card becomes full, will it just overwrite old recordings?

Good idea but sounds like it might be a bit high maintenance ...
It's not at all. If used as an event device. The card in mine only comes out on an event, ie we get hit then the card comes out. Else, the 32 GB is cyclically recorded over and it sits there like a silent witness, should it ever be needed. It's lunch money. All people should get one for what is essentially a quarter of even the lowest excess.

Quick Reply: Dash-Cam