Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Farming out body repairs

Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 PM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Farming out body repairs

I had a quote from a Honda dealer to repair some dents and scuffs on the CRV. I learned today however that they actually farm this work out to an independent body shop 'approved' by Honda.

So now I'm thinking what benefit is there to me going through the dealer. It makes more sense to me to deal with a body shop direct and cut out the middle man. (and possibly any uplift in cost due to Honda taking a cut, although I spoke to the body shop today and they say the cost is the same if I go through Honda or directly to them.

It doesn't make any sense to me why Honda would take this approach.

Anyone got any thoughts or advice on this ?

Also if anyone has a recommendation for a body shop in Guildford area. (Ideally one you have used yourself and have first hand experience of) then I'd appreciate the tip.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:32 PM

Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts

Inflated price for the punter direct.
Going through the dealer, it's at cost price plus a small add on for profit.
Which is the same price as going direct for the public.

Cheapest way... Is to get it done whilst a smart repair guy is working at the dealer. Cash in hand on his "lunch break" while he repairs your car dents round the corner from the dealer. I've done that a couple of times. Obviously this is only relevant for smaller body work repairs.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through the honda approved repairer for an insurance claim on my S. I nominated them specifically to my insurance company.

It took about 3-4 times as long (around 6 weeks due to parts shortage), I didn't get a courtesty car as nomincated my own repairer and the end result wasn't very good.

I would not recommend them.

This was a leading bodyshop in bristol who have contracts with Honda, Porsche, Merc and BMW so the forecourt looked pretty impressive (full of expensive bent cars), but I was not impressed one bit with the work or service, it went back a few times.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:23 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2000
I spoke to the body shop today and they say the cost is the same if I go through Honda or directly to them.
Actually it costs YOU the same whatever way you go but the Honda dealer will get a discount for all the work they put the body shops way, that's where they get their profit. The only benefit you may have is a Honda warranty on the work (for what that's worth).
Old 06-24-2015, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phil121081
I went through the honda approved repairer for an insurance claim on my S. I nominated them specifically to my insurance company.

It took about 3-4 times as long (around 6 weeks due to parts shortage), I didn't get a courtesty car as nomincated my own repairer and the end result wasn't very good.

I would not recommend them.

This was a leading bodyshop in bristol who have contracts with Honda, Porsche, Merc and BMW so the forecourt looked pretty impressive (full of expensive bent cars), but I was not impressed one bit with the work or service, it went back a few times.

And the mark up is not small
Find a good body shop and go direct
Forget " smart" repairs the prep is not good enough for it to last IME
Old 06-24-2015, 05:21 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Agreed. I once had to use a little known shop in a nearby village for an insurance job. As soon as they know it's a direct job no courtesy car the quote gets reasonable though not put in writing it is always met bang on. Local is good. Personal custom is good for them too, no big company rake offs.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Agreed. I once had to use a little known shop in a nearby village for an insurance job. As soon as they know it's a direct job no courtesy car the quote gets reasonable though not put in writing it is always met bang on. Local is good. Personal custom is good for them too, no big company rake offs.

I have a fella I use locally, first class work, reasonable price especially for cash just because he knows he won't have to wait months for the insurance company to pay up. Yes it's true insurance companies regularly stiff repairers as well.