Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Fast cars

Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a way, much of what is being said here reminds me of one of the main reasons I like and enjoy the S more than other powerful/more powerful sportscars out there. I find that the S has more (and more visceral) drama/sensations per MPH than any other car I've ever had. Much of that obviously has to do with the car's (relatively) frenzied 9K rpm 2 litre NA motor coupled with a back end that needs respect. Kind of like why many moons ago whilst owning a Z900 I still used to run a small capacity 2-stroke twin like an RD200. In a crazy way, I'd sooner do 70 along a lane and FEEL like I was doing 90 as opposed to be doing 90 and feel like I was doing 70. Quite possibly why I've never really fancied a Porsche - they're just too damned capable and fast (as opposed to exciting per se - for me at least anyway).
Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 PM
ge2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,May 2 2009, 02:27 AM
The thing is that there is something visceral about driving quickly down a b-road that track driving will never provide.

No run off, and you don't know the road so you pick your braking points based on multiple factors. You also have to deal with a vast array of surface changes/imperfections that cause the car to weave/pull jerk under braking.

It is like the difference between Ballroom dancing (Track driving) and a street fight (B-Road driving).

Ballroom dancing - you practice, practice, practice to perfection. If you make a mistake, you look a dork.

Street fight - you practice but you never know what your opponent is going to throw at you. You deflect, counter and attack. If you make a mistake, you get seriously hurt.

Now racing is a different kettle of fish again.

To fit in with the analogy - Ballroom dancing on a minefield
Ballroom dancing on minefields is for idiots

If you want to get your thrills from pushing your luck there's only one place to do it IMO.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:44 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

My car on it's stock suspension, standard fit tyres and properly set up geometry doesn't weave about under braking on B-Roads...

I prefer to enjoy driving my car on the road and on the track rather than trying to scare myself stupid and possibly injure or kill anyone else.

I've seen plenty of damaged cars on proper track days to know it's nothing like ballroom dancing. Which, incidentally, can result in some nasty injuries if you're not careful.

As Patrick Swayse (a great ballroom dancer) says in the immortal film "Roadhouse", "Nobody wins a fight".
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

B-road instability under braking means you are toeing-out, need a tad more castor or the correct-offset wheels. Set up correctly, you can stand the S2000 on its nose.

Veehexx' point about the Prelude is a valid one; like a VFR800, it's a master-jack of all trades and the master-craftsman of none. It is a great cruiser, if a tad raucous over 5,000 rpm, or 90-ish mph. The fantastic ride/handling combination however means that one can make unbelievable journey times, simply be rarely slowing down; the trick being to do under 90 for the entrie journey. It's also amazingly satisfying as a b-road tool; one sort of thinks one ought to be in a 'Teg, but is then glad one isn't!

The NSX is naturally better, yes; but there's nowhere to put the dog.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by ge2,May 2 2009, 08:39 AM
Ballroom dancing on minefields is for idiots

If you want to get your thrills from pushing your luck there's only one place to do it IMO.
You do realise I am on about track racing right?
Old 05-02-2009, 03:24 AM
ge2

Read it wrong.

Street fighting is for idiots then
Old 05-02-2009, 05:19 AM

Sorry about coming the party late, .......... But how old is old?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:20 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There was a good article on this in Evo the other month.

The guy was saying that driving a fast car is like having the devil on one shoulder, and officer dibble on the other.

I feel like this now. Any form of fun in a fast car means bye bye license IMO. I am always checking in the rear view mirror, watching central reservations for cameras, and craning the neck to see of officer ****stubble is sat in the next bush. To have fun in a Exige or similar on open roads involves going very fast, or going round 15 mph roundabouts at 50. Either are going to get you anally fisted by the rozzers.

In fact last time I took the Exige out I got pulled over for driving enthusiastically away from the lights. Even the rozzer said it must be hard having fun in a fast car.

But while i've thought of buying something slow and comfy, like a Porsche 996 Carrera (), there is still that bit of me that says "**** them all, don't let the rules get you down, don't be gay, buy a fast car!"

Old 05-02-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My uncle has had a few fast cars in the past and we know that he's got a bit of a lead instead of a right foot. His reason for never owning another sports car is that he will loose his license.

So out he goes and buys a Jag XJ6, I've been out with him and it and it's a very fast car. Now he can waft along at 95 and you would not think you are going faster than 30mph. I guess that the temptation to thrash it is no longer there...
Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 AM
B B

Check out the Soapbox item on page 047 of this months EVO magazine.
Reader contributor Colin Hardy makes exactly this very point, and having myself moved from a 1.6 MX-5 to the S2000 there is some validity in the argument.

Quick Reply: Fast cars