Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Fast cars

Old 05-05-2009, 02:13 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Me too.

Inevitably, this is now a discussion about great cars; those that respond well to driving well, as opposed to those that are merely fast.

Thus driving fast is merely a relative term and the it is merely the Politburo's attempts to enslave us all with arbitrary limits and deliberately dangerous road conditions that should be under discussion.

Admittedly, modern traffic density, as well as negligent road maintenance contrive to make truly fast cars irrelevant. But there are circumstances where they may still be enjoyed.

Do not be cowed by those that believe themselves to be king! They are merely king knuts, for the main part.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer the question - err yes!

If you want to go fast and enjoy it, then it's significantly safter to do it something that was designed to do the job. If you want thrills and adrenalin hits - there's loads more ways to do it which ultimately comes down to personal choice.

I remember overtaking around the outside of a long corner at Forest Edge in a kart - general consensus was that we were doing 65-70mph when we touched. Now right up to the point where we made contact it was probably the biggest rush I've had on four wheels. Only down side was the following two cartwheels that took me straight to the scene of a bracken accident!

You need to be going fast to have fun - certainly!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:54 AM

Was that the one that used to be your avatar?

I thought that was a brilliant photo!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves,May 5 2009, 05:54 PM
Was that the one that used to be your avatar?

I thought that was a brilliant photo!
It wasn't actually me in that photo but it was the closest re-enactmentI could find!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 PM

Drive fast - it's ace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1ebhr8iYBw
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM

this guy agrees with you. i'll wager it feels a lot faster than it is but it sounds great as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lmE1...eature=related
Old 05-07-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's two approaches to this. Drive something like a Spitfire. You'll feel like you're going fast without actually going that fast.

Or drive something so quick that you can overtake very easily and therefore still enjoy yourself.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
B B

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,May 3 2009, 06:42 AM
I'd say the S2000 makes a good case for ownership here.

It's not a properly quick car but it's certainly also no tedious shopping cart.

The S needs your attention to drive it rapidly, it also feels and sounds like its going fast when often it isnt (relatively speaking of course )

For me it fits nicely between a tedious daily driver and a properly fast car and the fact it needs you to sit up to drive it rapidly means I'm never in danger of being caught out as I suspect would happen in a Porker or a GTR.

I do hanker for more power ( I suspect everyone on here does) but I suspect I'd either A) lose my license or B) buy the farm, as I do suffer self control at times with the loud pedal and so the S has given me option C) Have jollies and return home in one piece; so far at least
AND YOU DON'T SEE ONE EVERY FLIPPING MINUTE eg MX-5/MGF/Boxster/TT/911
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM

every single car on the road can break the law concerning speeding and cameras etc. most hot hatches are quick/nippy depending on your perception of what is quick.

the S2000 does not have fantastic acceleration but can keep its speed through corners keeping the average speed up. one reason i got rid of mine is the fact that my
Old 05-08-2009, 02:19 AM

Hey Bozwell,

Do you know a guy with a metallic dark grey E-Type lightweight coupe?

I was tagging along with one at Bedford (very closely matched to the S2000!) and it was stunning. Never got to talk to him though.

Quick Reply: Fast cars