Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Following in the steps of BB

Old 07-09-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this an S2K forum?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:51 PM

Craig we tried the Exige S and it screams like a TIE fighter but long distance could be interesting TBH.

I didn't get as big a as I do from the Elise - odd but I don't know why
Old 07-09-2006, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's helpful Chris. When I test drove the 111S a couple of times three years ago I was disappointed by the engine - simply not eager like the F20C. Does the extra oomph of the Toyota engine give you a similar smile as the S2000, or is simply the corners where it excels?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:07 PM

The Toyota 111R engine, or whatever it's called, does indeed have oomph.

You know the how post MY04s don't seem to kick as much as the pre-04s did purely due to the cam profile?

Well the Toyota kicks as much as that difference again. Cos of the lower weight and therefore higher power to weight ratio, the kick at 6200 rpm is highly inducing.

The rev range isn't as long as the S but no one expects it to be the F20C mark II - I think rev limiter kicks in at 8.5k (not sure tho) but it does have a nice little shift light to keep you in VTEC equivalent.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Jul 9 2006, 10:58 PM
That's helpful Chris. When I test drove the 111S a couple of times three years ago I was disappointed by the engine - simply not eager like the F20C. Does the extra oomph of the Toyota engine give you a similar smile as the S2000, or is simply the corners where it excels?
It's far more severe a kick than my MY00 had. It's a clich
Old 07-09-2006, 10:55 PM

Well done Chris - see you've finally realised the dream of owning a red car I'd have thought that you're too tall for the Lotus.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice car - is that Bell & Colvill's showroom its parked outside?
Old 07-09-2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Type R,Jul 10 2006, 07:55 AM
Well done Chris - see you've finally realised the dream of owning a red car I'd have thought that you're too tall for the Lotus.

Chilli red is the fastest colour, in Elise world anyway. TBH Chris the colour is awesome, red with an orange fleck to it that shimmers over the body panels. You've got to see it to give it justice.

As for the height thing I was worried but not at all, there is oddly plenty of space in the cabin for me. I know I am all legs and arms but still with everything else stripped out of the car there is no feeling of claustrophibia at all. I admit I haven't driven it with the roof on as yet, but there is plenty of leg room and I'm 6'2" and a little bit (harking back to an old post) and no worries at all.

Getting in and out is a bit of an art form but nothing that isn't realistic. If Jo wears a skirt in it however as she gets out you would know not only which colour but the manufacturer and stitching style of her underwear.

Mik, you're right mate, it is Bell & Colvill. Richard Dean, the sales guy we dealt with, was very relaxed about the whole experience and never put pressure on and ok, the facilities aren't as contemporary asd Porsche Guildford but then again I enjoyed this relaxed, let the car do the selling approach, and he never pestered me about the sale either. I heartily recommend them.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 PM

It is indeed B&C that's where Chris has bought it from

(I preferred the Exige-S it was in a different class, but Chris preferred the Elise - we won't argue about it in the future then )

The car is gorgeous, Chris felt comfortable with it - in fact as far as I could tell he got in the car and fitted/clicked with it straight away. Even with my anxiety issues I felt comfortable in the passenger seat with him driving. I love the colour, the seats are comfortable, and we got a pretty good deal with all the extra's Chris wanted - including the bling indicator stalks! Only thing we didn't get was air con, but tbh he never used it in the S and the Mondeo doesn't have it either (stone chip in the condenser) so I don't think it's any great loss.

Now just got to persuade him to get track cover
Old 07-10-2006, 12:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all confused now. Do I trade my 911 in?

Quick Reply: Following in the steps of BB