Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Goodbye and Hello.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I've used the figures from Parkers, so they should be comparable.

I'm pretty sure the Prius has typically benn compared to the larger cars on interrior space - the Auris Hybrid being the Focus competitor.

The Focus is around 1,300 - 1,400kg, so the Prius isn't particularly heavy, and certainly doesn't weigh 8 tons

I agree it's not a petrolhead's choice, but IIRC, it's going to be a commuting and sitting in traffic car, at which it excels.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 626 Likes on 547 Posts

i was wrong. 7.5 tons

Nick is right, it's like a pumped up golf.

be interesting to see how it fares - i know the CR-Z is superb in heavy traffic, my old commute was 75 miles and often traffic at 60-70mph so i guess a Clio TD would be better.

The Prius is not cheap either, but then neither is a mini

either way, commuting sucks
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anything but a Prius....I cannot think of an uglier car on the market at present. I still don't really get the hybrid thing, think it has a long way to go. A modern small diesel is comparable in economy terms (the 1.6/1.4tdi VAG unit) and can be found in cars far easier on the eye.

My old company were dishing them out as company cars, sometimes I think was lucky to be made redundant!

I drove the CR-Z (courtesy of Bristol Honda) on wednesday, it was cool, but in sport mode (where it was cool) it doubt the real world economy makes it a worthwhile...

I wonder how the Prius would stand up against say the 1.6tdi A3 or the 118d in real world economy.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:34 AM
UK Moderator

I expect it depends how and where you're driving. In stop/start, I'd expect the Prius to be much much better than a diesel. On the motorway, perhaps they'd be closer.

The Prius makes much more sense for "the environment" because it's quieter, and doesn't stink, which are very good things.

I'm often a pedestrian and all diesels are really not nice to experience.

Here's an American comparison: http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...hybrid-reality in which the Prius stuffs a Golf TDi.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:24 PM

This thread has made me realise just how much I hate the Prius. How unreasonable am I being? There are more fuel efficient cars out there. There are more comfortable cars out there, and the rare earth metals required in the build of the Prius, to my mind at least, negate ANY eco credentials, leaving a bad token gesture.

But what, if anything, am I missing?
Old 09-25-2010, 08:29 AM
UK Moderator

The Prius is pretty much the most fuel efficient car out there, especially for commuting - see the link above.

Using less fuel does make a difference, particularly as it does it with a clean petrol engine, rather than a dirty diesel (and even the "modern" ones are dirty).

I hate diesels far more than I hate the Prius, as they have a far greater adverse effect on my environment.

And at least the Prius owners I know don't bore everyone to death going on about how much torque they have.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chilled,Sep 24 2010, 11:24 PM
This thread has made me realise just how much I hate the Prius. How unreasonable am I being? There are more fuel efficient cars out there. There are more comfortable cars out there, and the rare earth metals required in the build of the Prius, to my mind at least, negate ANY eco credentials, leaving a bad token gesture.

But what, if anything, am I missing?
I'm with you.

Although is the precious metals an internet myth? I've never bothered to check.

Tokenism at its worst. The most efficient lifetime cars are probably those 1930 examples being run in Cuba.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Sep 25 2010, 04:29 PM
And at least the Prius owners I know don't bore everyone to death going on about how much torque they have.
Emperor's new clothes.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 AM

I don't intend to bore-the-tits off everyone... but here's the result of a journey home on Friday evening, the usual weekend running about (I live in the Sticks) and a journey to work this morning.

If the average mpg holds true, then I'm looking at a fuel saving of around £1,200 per annum against the Mini.

Were I driving a diesel of course, I'm guessing the fuel saving would be negligible.

The depressing aspect (at least from my perspective) is the average speed the computer is indicating. I don't indulge in hard acceleration in the Prius, but I do keep up with surrounding traffic - apart from the 13 miles or so of rural roads from home to the built-up areas when the heavy traffic starts; here I set the cruise at at 55 mph. On the A1 the cruise is set at 65 mph but it's very difficult to maintain that speed given the volume of traffic and driving conditions en route from Newcastle to Darlington and vice-versa.

In these daily-driver conditions the Prius excels.

I am surprised at the comments suggesting the Prius is ugly however. Interestingly, at the pub' on Friday evening, a good friend arrived in his new-that-day car; a C-Class 350 CDi Sport. NFI from anyone, but plenty in the Prius. Sign of the times.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 AM
UK Moderator

Very interesting

The relatively low average is essentially an effect of all the time spent stationary.

I remember trying to set high average speeds on a regular trip in my Mum's MkII Golf GTi - this was back in the lat 80s.

Even trying very hard, late at night, it was impossible to get an average of over 50mph on this particular trip, which was a combination of motorway, dual carriageway, A, B & C roads. Much of it was driven at 90mph+ (this was in the days before speed cameras and I was young and foolish). A minute spent at some traffic lights absolutely ruins average speeds.

The mpg of the Prius is very impressive though, and I rather like the looks of it.

Quick Reply: Goodbye and Hello.