Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

How fast is fast enough?

Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some interesting thoughts here.

Firstly the A3 discussion, IIRC Damon Hill was driving one in and around the time he appeared on Top Gear, I believe he had a few moments where he was fast on a track

(Cue loads of people disclaiming how good / bad / indifferent an F1 driver he was even though he won the title and they haven't).

As for track driving myself, if it's in my car, I'm not that big a fan to be honest, I get worried about the potential cost to my P&J if I mess up and this often holds me back. Please remember that I have track day insurance too!

My proudest moment was overtaking a 911 carrera 4s for the 2nd time in a session i.e. lapped him. I was very chuffed. But on the same day I knew what was overtaking me, and it all came down to the driver. In the backs of magazines, the elise will beat them hands down, but the technical specification of the nut behind the wheel was of a far lower quality in the elise than in the other car (make and model escape me right now).

I do find it interesting that one or two have posted that they will pull to the side and let the faster car through and I too am of this discipline. What makes me laugh is the fact that a vast majority never find that they need as the only thing faster than them out there is light
Old 06-07-2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kelk,Jun 7 2009, 12:08 AM
I do find it interesting that one or two have posted that they will pull to the side and let the faster car through and I too am of this discipline.
But why wouldn't you

Woud you say these types of people aren't really car enthusiasts?

Sub - I know exactly the irritation you feel but if you can it is for the better to take a deep breath and pull off the track. I'm slowly learning to do this. The red mist can cloud your own judgement.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moggy,Jun 7 2009, 08:16 AM

Sub - I know exactly the irritation you feel but if you can it is for the better to take a deep breath and pull off the track. I'm slowly learning to do this. The red mist can cloud your own judgement.
Your right of course, it's not the thing to do, but sometimes there's so many of these types on the track, if you pulled off every time you'd never get any track time
Old 06-07-2009, 12:49 AM

It appears to be more of an issue in the first hour or two of a day.

It makes a lot of sense to stay off the track for the first hour, at least just doing recce drives / setup.