Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Luxo Barge

Old 11-30-2016, 02:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 106 Posts

You'll struggle to better a 530d/730d. The engines are extremely reliable as long as you:
  • Change the cam breather loo roll often as its usually ignored on the service (or change it to the Vortex newer version). This important change prevents premature turbo failure. Common to see Range Rovers with this engine having turbo's fail - as I understand, on Rangey's they have 2 filters to change on the M57.
  • Remove those silly swirl flaps, to prevent ingestion of their fixing screws becoming mashed on the cylinder head (easy job - blanks or biggers screws with heat glue)
  • Service it often - in fact, over-service it like I did below....
My E39 530d Sport is still running now at 244,046 miles (reg YH51 AFF), with the only advisories last week as a shock absorber beginning to weep and some lower body corrosion behind the front wheels (does have worn tyres too!). The engine will outlast the body.
I did the swirl flaps myself and made my own guide on BMW5.co.uk. That was some 100,000 miles ago- still on the same engine, same Auto box from new, same turbo as 2001... I'll concede that the E39 now is rather old-dated looking fodder, and once joked as "The Best Car in the World" will never set your pants on fire but for comfort and agility, it has some very surprising agility for it's size. Often said also about the E39 M5, which some of you have owned.
The E60, even with its Dame Edna looks, will also consume galactic miles with no bother whatsoever. The only fly in the ointment is that silly plug-in ignition key with eventually may show the ELV steering lock error. So long as its got good history though, not much comes close to the ride, comfort, shove and overall value for money. The suspension and Inspection II will be the biggest expensive. (I'm ignoring the Jags just because they do seem less reliable and can prove to be a headache UNLESS you are handy with the spanners).

Can't say I liked the Granada's of the Noughties. 80's ones though are uber cool with broad hips, even more rust and velour interior. Hmm..
Old 11-30-2016, 05:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have friend whose E39 touring - a 525 - did an almost identical mileage. Same engine and gearbox (with no fluid change), and for the first 60k miles of its life was never serviced at all.

The e39's 'outdated' looks, as well as its dynamic capabilities, are one of its attractions for me. Less is more and all that.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist
This generation Granada was a hatch, before it evolved into a Scorpio. From what I recall, the petrol versions were nice cars.

It always was a Scorpio in Germany.

That was oddly only applied to the range-topper here.

It's a hot-cross-bunned Sierra. Just like an XE/XF in fact, but made of rust.

BTW Jason, I've always had a similarly low opinion of Ford's crude engineering - how can a company make a casting look so ugly and unfinished? Not to mention Ecobusts nor DoubleTroubleTransmissions.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

.. i suppose that's conversely why we both arrived at the S2000 Nick. That or luck

here's my point

Old 11-30-2016, 09:49 AM

You should've googled the Diseasel - it looks like I cast it all in a child's sandpit. And it was about as refined as if I had...

You can fool some of the people a lot of the time, it would appear.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Polemicist
This generation Granada was a hatch, before it evolved into a Scorpio. From what I recall, the petrol versions were nice cars.

so much for my memory
Old 11-30-2016, 01:54 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
I suppose a lot depends on how happy you'll be to watch the M3's value go under £10K. Might be better to put the present value into something that won't drop in value - but you are fussy!
i pondered that post for quite a while as we have some common thoughts on motors in general. The way i view the M is it's not expensive to run given my miles (it is very heavy on fuel but i do bog all miles really) and the depreciation is pretty low, it would probably list at around £22k i think currently and i only paid just shy of 30k in 2012 (ok, i'm adding in things like the comp pack wheels and exhaust)

it'll be a while before it's a 10k car and i'd speculate an ageing Lotus might have a lot further to fall in a crashing market

the next gen from this is turbo and while a lot quicker and laden with electric fandangery it's more complex, probably more needy and doesn't sound anywhere near as nice.. there's a common theme here in my thinking..

so low risk to keep for now i think and easier to chuck a few pounds her way to upgrade the Qashqai to a Qashqai RS Turbo.. or something

possibly...
Old 11-30-2016, 10:35 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

What about the new Seat Ateca - those seem to rate well in the new reviews, smart looking thing too or that new Skoda Kodiak?

I wouldn't sell the M3 either, not unless you know you have something to replace it with. An Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio will be 15k in 2 years time, i'd wait for that
Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 AM

Cheap Lotuses are actually beginning to suffer from currency inflation, too.

But an M-car that cheap is probably kind of a keeper, definitely until it blows up. As you say, the newer ones are a bit shit.

So yes, maybe a jacked-up barge (XC70/Legacy/Outback?) might be a compromise?
Old 12-02-2016, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
BTW Jason, I've always had a similarly low opinion of Ford's crude engineering - how can a company make a casting look so ugly and unfinished? Not to mention Ecobusts nor DoubleTroubleTransmissions.
I can forgive Ford's crudity when they were responsible for this majestic vehicle...

Quick Reply: Luxo Barge