Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Nottingham Transport show

Old 06-15-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
You can buy an AMG E63 6.3 NA V8 nutter bastard for < 24k. There's practical smoking family transport if ever there was one. I can see why you'd buy an EV if you lived inside the ULEZ zone ( still can't believe they called it that ). No one is going to subsidise an EV that a private buyer purchases for leisure miles so until the price falls into line or they price petrol / petrol cars significantly higher the take up will be as slow as it currently is.

It would take legislation to prise me out of the Fiesta or off the motorbike.
a 63 has crossed my mind but no doubt a harsh ride too.. i need limo ride as she has a bad back
Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Citroen DS / BX Gti?
Old 06-16-2019, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Citroen DS / BX Gti?

many years ago she had company cars from Anglian Water.
they were Rovers :ROFL:.. she had a petrol one and it would never start in the rain, queue wd40 to disperse water from the plug leads.. then later a diesel.
Anyway. she crashed the diesel and got a large citroen as a replacement while it was fixed. i cant even remember what it was but as a passenger it was superbly comfortable but sat at lights it's air suspension would never, ever settle..

So maybe i need a used tesla S with air? .. the other options with decent air suspension are big audis and mercs it seems. i had a citroen years ago, it was fugging pathetic so i will never buy another. literally fell to bits

Old 06-16-2019, 01:56 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2

many years ago she had company cars from Anglian Water.
they were Rovers :ROFL:.. she had a petrol one and it would never start in the rain, queue wd40 to disperse water from the plug leads.. then later a diesel.
Anyway. she crashed the diesel and got a large citroen as a replacement while it was fixed. i cant even remember what it was but as a passenger it was superbly comfortable but sat at lights it's air suspension would never, ever settle..

So maybe i need a used tesla S with air? .. the other options with decent air suspension are big audis and mercs it seems. i had a citroen years ago, it was fugging pathetic so i will never buy another. literally fell to bits
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydropneumatic_suspension
Old 06-16-2019, 05:07 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The problem with air suspension is that road grit wears holes in the bags. Just like 1961 with the 2,3 Liter and later the 220SE.

The old Citroen system is far more robust - if that were an Activa, it was probably the electronics or the anti-roll mechanism doing weird things.

Citroen has given up (like everyone else, it seems) but if I ever can summon up any interest in buying a modern car, I'll factor in new footballs every now & again and go air. I do love the silence and calm of EVs, which betray the unpleasant coarseness of most modern ICEs - DI really does not help in that regard.

Though I detest the brachiating thuggery of AMGs, I can see the appeal in a secondhand one. I find myself oddly attracted to Alpinas as the slightly more discrete version of overkill.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:00 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Though I detest the brachiating thuggery of AMGs, I can see the appeal in a secondhand one. I find myself oddly attracted to Alpinas as the slightly more discrete version of overkill.
What i always liked about Alpina was that if you took the badges off, there was almost nothing else to give the game away unless you really knew what you were looking for.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:32 AM

Xantia - that was it! tah, my brain can go back to sleep now

do they still do it? i like the cactus, that can be ding free with its padded doors

the peace, ease, torque and low running cost of electric appeals, plus as i do the school run i wont be murdering the other children . arf

unless they dont hear me coming
Old 06-17-2019, 02:06 AM

UF - Alpinas only need the stripes & the rear badging lost to be the ultimate Q-car, if you are not a wheels anorak.

No, Notts - Citroen are no longer Citroen. Talbot, more like. Or Vauxhall in future.

The cost of emissions equipment means most A & B segments will likely have to be electric in the future due to tight profit margins. But like Diseasels, electrics do not make much sense on a purely economic basis. Or a pollution basis, really...

The idea of an electric Lotus just seems wrong, somehow. I'm gonna have to recalibrate my idea of 'lightweight'.

I think electrically-assisted bicycles might make a great deal of sense for commuters, in future. Again, anything faster is seemingly more expensive than a petrol motorbike and suffers the same nannying regulations.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:23 AM

bikes are good.. 18mins garage door to work barrier today, first dry day in a while though. i dont think it will catch on tho

60mpg probably and almost ULEV too at 100g/km .. before i decat it anyway

commuting in a car here is misery, struggle buggies trying to screw each other, road raging, jean claude van twats galore.. and 10mph avg probably

i wont be around when they are all autonomous and the dithering twat causing traffic is history unfortunately.. a leaf might make sense based on big mileage? i do feck all
Old 06-17-2019, 03:58 AM

Yeah, it's mostly the road conditions that is causing me to lose interest in cars at an alarming rate. The mysteriousness/imperiousness of the Leg End baffles the struggle-buggy TDi-brigade and they tend to leave me TF alone.

I could see electric-assisted bikes being popular on the continent, where they have more rational cycle lanes and nicer weather. We'll be reduced to using hoops & sticks.

Quick Reply: Nottingham Transport show