Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Premium hatchbacks

Old 08-19-2017, 03:02 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You cannot fix the Smart's very short wheelbase and lightly-laden front axle, unfortunately. It will always be a buckin' bronco on road tits. [Am I still allowed to say 'bronco' after OJ, or is it racist?]

Yes, cars pretty much cost the same to make (it's the huge capital costs, not the material costs) which is why they make little money on expensive little cars.

The high H-point and seats closer to the extremities makes entry/egress into A&B segments easier for stiffer joints, IME.

Remember too, the Hyundai has a cheaper Kia twin. Probably a bit bargain-basement, but worth investigating?

At least the Polo is a known quantity, so you'll be able to get all the spare parts at Euro...

What you really, really want is a Honda N-One. They are not engineered to Euro standards (which is why Kei-cars are so cheap) but it's a real cutie!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:29 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

What you can check on the Smart is tyre pressures, we have one at work as our London 'pool' car and it is very sensitive to this. Mid to low 30s psi seems to suit it best at the front with the rears around 36. A few PSI out at either end ruins it.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:14 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Ah so just gotta put up with it Nick ... kei car would be great instead of the Smart (but that is a fashion choice, not an engineering based decision!)

The perceptible pause of all? automated clutch type transmissions bugs me. The motorhome beast is another such based on Fiat's Ducato Euro 5 diesel in my case. CVT would not be for me I think, too old school. I found the DCT/DSG mimics manual gear changing nicely and it seems to me you can change your mind without twisting the knicker elastic. Ironic that nearly twenty years later from buying one of the first S2000s my decision is still all about (not so much the engine and) the gear change.

Still, in not so long maybe my lifetime it will all be a thing of the past and electric will be the only way. I remember my dad explaining how electric trams worked back a century or so ago. They had two types of motor, shunt wound and series wound. Can't recall which but one was for accelerating away from rest and overcoming the big inertia of a stationary tram and the other took over once the tram was rolling. Back to the future?
Old 08-19-2017, 11:40 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

didnt realise you were going that new

you could lease for £220 a month

https://www.nationalvehiclesolutions...al-Lease/37454
Old 08-19-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

So had a look around today at a few options:

Merc A180 - only had a diesel option in stock so took it for a drive. The one I drove had the AMG pack, which doesn't actually mean its an AMG, but it does have alloy wheels and the AMG body styling. Distinctly unimpressed. Drive was smooth but uninspiring. Interior slightly more spacious than expected but didn't really feel like I was in a car with the Merc pedigree. Not sure I'd find it easy to get on with the electronic handbrake. No spare wheel, not even a spacesaver, just a can of tyre weld and an aux plug in inflator. Like the thought that if the airbag deploys, Mercedes will find my location and call the emergency services. Maryam hated the driving position (she has short legs so has to be near the windscreen to reach the pedals). This will not be making our shortlist (Rich - good call on this one !)

BMW 135i Sport - Allegedly the best of BMW of its class. Will drive one next week. Immediately felt comfortable sitting in it. Lots of toys and build quality felt infinitely better than the Merc. Eco, Comfort and Sports modes sound fun and I'm looking forward to having a play with these. Boot and rear passenger compartments seemed spacious enough for what we want. Styling was good too, and anthracite metallic paint appealed. Maryam immediately like the feel of the seat once adjusted. Only wish my budget ran to the £39K of the new M135i Sport with all the options in the showroom.

Hyundai i30 / i40 . The dealership was next door so we thought we'd see what we could get for a lower budget outlay. Think we were spoiled in the morning as this immediately felt cheap. Didn't even take a test drive. Only saving grace was the sales girl in the short skirt and low cut top Maybe that's what they think they need to shift these things.

During the week we plan to take a look at the Golf options and Audi A3s. On the way home we followed an Infiniti Q30Ss - need to find out a bit more about this one as its definitely a head turner, although expect we'd need to find some deeper pockets.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
didnt realise you were going that new

you could lease for £220 a month

https://www.nationalvehiclesolutions...al-Lease/37454
FFS listen - I don't want a lease at 6-8% interest on PCP or whatever just to buy the ****er outright and swallow the depreciation myself. Sheesh
Old 08-19-2017, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by andy2000
Only wish my budget ran to the £39K of the new M135i Sport with all the options in the showroom.
Wow this is a bit more than a premium hatchback which is the title of this thread. I am under at £12k you are well over with this
Old 08-19-2017, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by unclefester
What you can check on the Smart is tyre pressures, we have one at work as our London 'pool' car and it is very sensitive to this. Mid to low 30s psi seems to suit it best at the front with the rears around 36. A few PSI out at either end ruins it.
Good advice UF doubt the tyre pressures have ever been checked as such - on it Mind that is London not Norfolk pot hole heaven!
Old 08-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Wow this is a bit more than a premium hatchback which is the title of this thread. I am under at £12k you are well over with this
I can but dream. Couldn't drag Maryam away from the metallic burnt orange M240i convertible either, now that is a seriously good looking car. Now what's my credit score
Old 08-19-2017, 10:51 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

If i was looking for a nice place to knock around in, i'd find a rust free 2.0 Primera GT with the full leather seats. Big boot, nice handling, decent ride and will be well past depreciation. For the value you can get 2nd hand these days, unless you must have PCP ( and no, i still can't get my head around paying 3k deposit, 200 a month and then handing the ****er back) 2nd hand with either cash or low low rate bank loan just feels better value.

1999 T Nissan Primera 2.0 16v ( a/c ) GT 5Door.Platinum Silver,1 Owner,51000 RM | eBay

If i wanted to spend 12k not 3k ..... i'd look at a diesel Octavia VRS.

SKODA OCTAVIA VRS BLACKLINE DSG AUTOMATIC ESTATE | eBay

Or as it's Nawwwfaaaallkk ...

2012 SKODA OCTAVIA SCOUT 2.0 TDI CR 140 4x4 *NEW SHAPE*LOW MILES*P/EX* | eBay

I still thing people are smoking crack when they justify paying £18k for a bloody Micra.

Quick Reply: Premium hatchbacks