Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Premium hatchbacks

Old 08-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Ah so just gotta put up with it Nick ... kei car would be great instead of the Smart (but that is a fashion choice, not an engineering based decision!)

The perceptible pause of all? automated clutch type transmissions bugs me. The motorhome beast is another such based on Fiat's Ducato Euro 5 diesel in my case. CVT would not be for me I think, too old school. I found the DCT/DSG mimics manual gear changing nicely and it seems to me you can change your mind without twisting the knicker elastic. Ironic that nearly twenty years later from buying one of the first S2000s my decision is still all about (not so much the engine and) the gear change.

Still, in not so long maybe my lifetime it will all be a thing of the past and electric will be the only way. I remember my dad explaining how electric trams worked back a century or so ago. They had two types of motor, shunt wound and series wound. Can't recall which but one was for accelerating away from rest and overcoming the big inertia of a stationary tram and the other took over once the tram was rolling. Back to the future?
I am moving towards a small 'city car' for everyday use, which is invariably pleasure free, such as a trip to B and Q. Anything else is pointless/superfluous. For example, I can hire a Merc Sprinter for £30 for four hours. Why run a bulky estate 365 days a year for the seven I might really use its capacity?

Of course, there is a certain pleasure in driving an RS6/XFR/insert what you like everywhere but it comes with far more downsides than ups now that I now longer make any long journeys.

All as long as one has something else in the garage to alleviate the tedium. That's the route I'm heading down. From a car for each set of circumstances to a supermini five days a week coupled with something providing silly fun for weekend (in reality probably Sunday early morning or a show) run outs. The hopelessly, wildly impractical appeals to me and would be more favourable to a more sensible /conventional pairing such as Golf R and Exige.

I do like the Kei cars/concept very much but I have an eternal soft spot for the original Fiat 500. I know that won't work though. The day car has to be maintenance free and 100% reliable and I will happily accept temperament in the garage queen(s).
Old 08-21-2017, 02:16 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
All as long as one has something else in the garage to alleviate the tedium. That's the route I'm heading down. From a car for each set of circumstances to a supermini five days a week coupled with something providing silly fun for weekend (in reality probably Sunday early morning or a show) run outs. The hopelessly, wildly impractical appeals to me and would be more favourable to a more sensible /conventional pairing such as Golf R and Exige.
That's my thinking with the S2000 and the Golf (although the S2000 isn't "wildly impractical" of course) but I am operating in a "somewhat" different financial/storage arena to you
Old 08-21-2017, 05:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lovegroova
That's my thinking with the S2000 and the Golf (although the S2000 isn't "wildly impractical" of course) but I am operating in a "somewhat" different financial/storage arena to you
I wish. I'm stretched every which way at the moment. All of my own making and if it all comes off, happy days. If not, big oops and start again, but I will have farked up badly and not enough (life) time to get back to where I am. Still, it's only money

Your combination sounds fine and works for you. I just need to feel a bit more excitement (than I have had with an S, etc) when I open the garage door and forget about the pleasure of driving when in a daily.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Hope the project(s) come right in the end.

Always a bit of a concern with these things, as one gets older.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

I am moving towards a small 'city car' for everyday use, which is invariably pleasure free, such as a trip to B and Q. Anything else is pointless/superfluous. For example, I can hire a Merc Sprinter for £30 for four hours. Why run a bulky estate 365 days a year for the seven I might really use its capacity?

Of course, there is a certain pleasure in driving an RS6/XFR/insert what you like everywhere but it comes with far more downsides than ups now that I now longer make any long journeys.

I do like the Kei cars/concept very much but I have an eternal soft spot for the original Fiat 500. I know that won't work though. The day car has to be maintenance free and 100% reliable and I will happily accept temperament in the garage queen(s).
Exactly my thinking. And don't go near the new Fiat (well, soon ten years old) they still haven't moved the bonnet release catch from the left side, so you have to reach over the passenger's legs to pop the bonnet - well, pretty much put your head between her legs IYSWIM .

Now things are moving on the garage queen front - watch this space - I can defer/re-arrange the city car. My cunning plan is to get Carol to see the sense of upgrading from the iconic but uncomfortable and spastic elastic auto of the original Smart to something a little less painful ... if less fashionable and been given steroid treatment like all 21st century designs I have starting wondering out loud about the latest Smart let's test drive etc but it will of course be an all connected CANbus FRED riddled POS I am about to commit a grand to an A frame to tow the current Smart behind the behemoth which will ideally have to be upwards compatible. Fat chance as dimensions are all changed. Also I think the new Smart is a bigger techno challenge to the A frame boys IIRC - CANbus issues??. Trouble is I don't have room to keep a trailer lying about the place except down the veggie patch ... decisions decisions ... it's a hard life eh
Old 08-21-2017, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Hope the project(s) come right in the end.

Always a bit of a concern with these things, as one gets older.
cheers Nick
first world problems ateotd
I just need to take the initiative with a few things which I am in the process of doing
real stress comes with no control and I'm not in that place fortunately

back sort of o/t I hear Ford have a scrappage scheme - £2K for your <09 diesel against a new car
have you seen their new prices?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:17 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

So has Vauxhall apparently. More to do with no-one buying their crap, I'd presume.

Interestingly, over in the US, Honda (big over there!) has realised it's catching a cold on these lease deals (3-year residuals being too low) and is apparently moving to a more 'market' rate. That should lead to a sales tank.

The Great Unravelling begins?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
So has Vauxhall apparently. More to do with no-one buying their crap, I'd presume.

Interestingly, over in the US, Honda (big over there!) has realised it's catching a cold on these lease deals (3-year residuals being too low) and is apparently moving to a more 'market' rate. That should lead to a sales tank.

The Great Unravelling begins?
I think the emperor will be able to parade for another year or two but it has to start somewhere

Ford Focus FROM £19K

Anyone paying that must be on crack
Old 08-22-2017, 04:04 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

I think the emperor will be able to parade for another year or two but it has to start somewhere

Ford Focus FROM £19K

Anyone paying that must be on crack
Just for fun, I've asked carwow for a quote on the cheapest £19k Focus. 2 offers in so far, the best with a 25.1% discount at £14,715...
Old 08-22-2017, 05:09 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Did you see the CEO of Ford on BBC breakfast this morning trying to convince us they are doing it for the environment and not for profits. Yeah right !!!

Quick Reply: Premium hatchbacks