Towing a trailer with bikes though.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:34 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
...says the man driving a camper van
oi you young whipper snapper
Old 08-17-2017, 05:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite all the anti-Golf sentiment I'm going to go ahead and recommend the Golf R, the Wagon if you need more practicality.

Agree with Gad's earlier post, surprisingly little room in the back of a BMW 1, I did have three adults in the back of mine once but it's a cramped, dark place.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's not surprising, if you have to package a straight-six and pass crash tests; there is a reason that transverse end-on transmission is commonplace.

Rog, be sure to test those DCTs thoroughly - Ford especially have been much bemoaned for getting hung-up electronically and doing weird shit. Even Honda had problams with the i-DCD in the Fit Hybrid. Which is why we get a CVT...
Old 08-17-2017, 07:11 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by jml
Towing a trailer with bikes though.
the ultimate example of a mid-to-late-life crisis...
Old 08-17-2017, 10:34 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

[QUOTE=GarethB;24340429]Despite all the anti-Golf sentiment I'm going to go ahead and recommend the Golf R, the Wagon if you need more practicality.

Agree with Gad's earlier post, surprisingly little room in the back of a BMW 1, I did have three adults in the back of mine once but it's a cramped, dark place.[/QUOTE

Just make sure it's a grey one
​​​​​​​
Old 08-18-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

I'd say there's little point in the R but i hate fwd. even the GTD140 could overwhelm its limited traction easily

i was in the back of a Focci ST today.. its far from roomy too.

I hear good things on the 140i box Rog
Old 08-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
I'd say there's little point in the R but i hate fwd. even the GTD140 could overwhelm its limited traction easily

i was in the back of a Focci ST today.. its far from roomy too.

I hear good things on the 140i box Rog
Me too but a sequential box for £more than the M3 I just sold and spend my equity ISA money?

My current assessment of segment A/B options within my main constraints*: budget £11k-£13k. DCT. 5-door. Nearly/new.

Ford Fiesta - excellent drive/handling, good looking but auto is poor
Suzuki Swift Sport - ditto not nearly as pretty no auto
Fiat 500 - looks cute but hard ride and no auto
MINI - likewise newer ones verging ugly
Pug 208 - is average and auto poor
Citroen - too extreme looking
VW Up - ok but auto shit
VW Polo is in the running ... old and new: DCT
SEAT Ibiza likewise, new one is £2k less than a new model Polo
Skoda Fabia I am trying one as courtesy car soon but I still find them unpretty looking
Japanese: Jazz, Yaris and Aygo were brilliant in their day but now tired
Hyundai: the i10 is well reviewed top A segment but no DCT.
That said I ought to test drive one to see.

*Just realised many of my assessments are on the look of the thing. I blame my barely suppressed feminine side.
Oh yes colour - not red (fades), white (too fashionable), black (colour of funerals/hard to keep clean)
Old 08-18-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

You are nuts Rog
always compare 1 size up, small cars and perceived low running inflates their prices i think
i agree on the Fabia, maybe a colour that suits?

Taking the 359s for refurb this weekend i think.. car has not moved in weeks
Old 08-19-2017, 12:57 AM

We all are. Or can be (nuts). You could be polite and call it early onset ...

I am already 1 size Up! due to my requirement for DCT/DSG/PDK (being Porsche's acronym but I am not in that league )

My observation, which you sort of agreed with Jason in your reference to room in a Focus, is that once you have enough room inside the difference is largely on how much tin there is on the outside as you go up the segments. Plus the old fart factor, as bodies get less flexible, of being able to get in and out easily: sill height to step over (Lotus!!) and the seat height to sit on, and of course the seat comfort itself.

With me it is purely on what I term the capital costs i.e. tax, insurance, depreciation. The step up to a Golf sized car is another £5k on the new price at least. I think there is a minimum cost to manufacture a car, extra tin is not much in the grand scheme of things and they make more profit on bigger cars I would bet. Keeping up the new price of small cars is manufacturer driven and Asian tiger relatively new brands (Kia, Daihatsu, Hyundai, Ssangyong etc) show what can be done. Running costs on my low mileage is neither here nor there: so V8 high octane petrol guzzler is no problem whereas fitting it in might be! FWD power steering isn't an issue down below 120 bhp which will easily provide 0-60 mph in under 10 seconds, which IIRC is better than my mini Cooper 998 managed back in 1968 when new. Genteel handling is more important than an 'engaging' 'involving' drive with mid turn lift off manners etc although nice to have. I used to have all this with the M3 DCT but SWMBO doesn't like my Mr Hyde mode

The other day taking Carol's Smart in for a new touch screen (£ouch) I was struck with the pre CANbus nature of the beast: an analogue clock in a cutsie dashtop binnacle, another in the infotainment screen and a third in the car dash computer. All separately adjustable and only one has a daylight saving UK option (which I cannot fathom out how to get to work properly. RTFM time!)

Getting used to the Smart but it is still a bumpy little skiff on our roads, I must look into aftermarket air suspension add-ons.

Quick Reply: Premium hatchbacks