Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Road Tax / Insurance

Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Tax / Insurance

Went to tax the S2k today at the post office.

The insurance runs from the 1st Feb , I wanted the tax from the 1st Feb too but apparently the Post Office rules say I have to have the insurance valid on the day I apply for the road tax... in this case the 30th January !! ensued.

The car is currently sorn and the DVLA say that I can apply for the tax TWO working days before the tax is due to start.

So who is right?

To me there is absolutely NO logic to have valid insurance on the day you apply at the post office for the tax UNLESS the tax is due to start that day !!! I still couldn't drive it legally today as the tax disc doesn't start until the 1st Feb
Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by PTR300

The insurance runs from the 1st Feb , I wanted the tax from the 1st Feb too but apparently the Post Office rules say I have to have the insurance valid on the day I apply for the road tax... in this case the 30th January !! ensued.

The car is currently sorn and the DVLA say that I can apply for the tax TWO working days before the tax is due to start.

So who is right?

To me there is absolutely NO logic to have valid insurance on the day you apply at the post office for the tax UNLESS the tax is due to start that day !!! I still couldn't drive it legally today as the tax disc doesn't start until the 1st Feb
Not entirely sure but i've always taxed mine online a good week or two before its due and had the disc sat around the house until its needed. The date of the new disc always resumes from the day the old disc expires.

Last time I taxed in a post office I didn't have my V5C on me (forgot it!) but they still taxed it, you could always try another Post Office and try your luck. Quote the DVLA info you said and puff your chest out to intimidate the old dear behind the counter, that should sort em out.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't be able to do it online either if it's not insured...

I had this same problem when I registered my crx for the first time, I would just get the tax on the 2nd and be done with it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

> his jobs worth...

things like this really get my goat... out of principle, I would just drive around for a few days with no tax and state that argument to any police man that challenged me. You made all reasonable efforts to tax your car only to be turned away due to a technicality, that is quite frankly laughable.

If it were not convenient for you to go back to post office the next day, then so be it. God forbid you had a job that you had to get to and pay your taxes... notwithstanding the fact that you were attempting to pay another tax...

Another nail in the coffin of road tax all together in my opinion. slap it on fuel, then no one can escape. Save a few hundred million in admin and staff costs at the DVLA and spend the money elsewhere. Re-employ those in Swansea doing something else useful and needed in the economy.

rant over.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:09 AM

The other problem is with it being SORN, it's difficult to tax a SORN vehicle at the best of times.

Don't forget, driving a SORN vehicle is another offence as well, could get the book thrown at you
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

similar madness:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/100...sorn-question/
Old 01-31-2013, 04:25 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Fact that it usually takes a few days for an insurance renewal to reach the d-base, means I have to re-tax the 'Lude at the last minute and lastminuteitis is a British disease I despise.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by caseh
Originally Posted by PTR300' timestamp='1359578333' post='22303365

So who is right?

Not entirely sure but i've always taxed mine online a good week or two before its due and had the disc sat around the house until its needed. The date of the new disc always resumes from the day the old disc expires.

Last time I taxed in a post office I didn't have my V5C on me (forgot it!) but they still taxed it, you could always try another Post Office and try your luck. Quote the DVLA info you said and puff your chest out to intimidate the old dear behind the counter, that should sort em out.
Took your advice and hit them again today !!
Another post office a few miles away that I happened to be passing by whilst in the van.....went in, presented docs, guy said is it on SORN? yes I said , he said okay but you can't drive it today (31st )..fine I said. and he issued it !!

Not very joined up thinking at these places is it.........

The online situation is still laughable,
If the car is SORN you CANNOT tax it, even on the last day of the current month for the new month ahead...You can tax it back to the first of the previous month !!
Why would I want to give them a months tax for no benefit !!

All the programmers have to do is to insert a parameter on the issue date, say current month plus one...problem solved.

ANYWAY best news is I am now on the road tomorrow.... for the first time in an S2000 !!