Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Selling an Unregistered Car

Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Selling an Unregistered Car

I am due to sell a vehicle (Lincoln Navigator) which is in the family that is currently unregistered in the UK. We have owned it since 2005 and have imported it to the UK just over a year ago but due to it needing work to convert it from the USDM to be compliant to UK road traffic legislation it has taken time and still isnt finished.

Adding to this my recent car accident and the fact all my spare time will now be taken up sorting out my new S2000 I have decided to sell the Navigator as it is.

I have been dealing with a polish guy over the past 2 weeks who has expressed he is very interested in the car. He has driven up from London, where he is living, to look at it and wants to buy it for his girlfriend, who he has twins with.

When initially communicating with him he wanted a copy of the VIN before seeing the car and I have never been asked that question before even though I have sold about 16 cars over the years; so this made me a bit uncomfortable as he didn't say why. Asking a few friends though I was told this is normal for a lot of people on the contient but in the end he just took a note of it when he came to look at the car.

He has put a deposit directly into my bank account and intends to pay cash on collection. He has arranged a recovery vehicle to collect the car tomorrow, with him present as its not in a condition to be driven. He has seen all the documents including original bill of sale, service records and the customs clearance form however, he has now asked me for a copy of my ID.

Would you see this as normal or would you be suspicious/uncomfortable in any way? I don't normally have any issues with knowing what I'm doing with the buying or selling of cars but have a bit of paranoia because the car isn't registered and the fact there are so many scams on the go out there these days...

TIA
Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be worth giving DMS a ring and have a chat with Chris there

It sounds feasible to me, when a car isnt registered in NL you can insure it on the vin and get some import plates