Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Should M. Schumacher still be racing F1

Old 08-01-2010, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should M. Schumacher still be racing F1

After today's little run in with Rubens, i would conclude that he does not have the necessary respect for other peoples well being to be allowed to race. He shows little respect for safety and is not fast enough to be competitive, so resorts to extremely dangerous tactics to try and bully results.

He went 7 years doing that but was often at the front so incidents few and far between. He is now mid order and mixing with cars all race long.

His antics today, in my opinion, warrant him being stripped of his F1 licence permanetly. His post race interview shows that he does not believe he has done anything wrong, whilst Ruben's showed himself in a very good light.

He is the best grand prix driver the sport has seen, yet carried the tag of being ruthless, at this rate he will be the best driver the sport has ever seen and be remembered for being involved in a horrific accident. Motorsport is dangerous, thats why all drivers have to have a level of respect that is equal from front of the grid to the back...the FIA need to step in in my opinion.

Made me quite angry watching it this afternoon, digging race drivers out of tyre walls is not what a race weekend should be about.

Stock car racing would no doubt welcome him.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Shocking move by schumacher.

However, Senna used to get up to similar antics.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Shows what a cool head Rubens has on his shoulders to make that stick. However not a move that Herr Schumacher should be proud of.

Have to agree with Lower though, not the worst I've seen. Senna would likely have done the same as would many others.

However it still doesnt get away from the fact that it could have had serious implications. I hope the stewards will make the right decision here.

Back to the OP, its always going to be difficult for someone returning to F1 but early days yet. Give it till the end of the season to see what Merc GP can do with the package and then we should judge if its right for him to be back. One wonders what he would be achieving if he had signed to Red Bull.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If "not fast enough to be competitive" is the criteria then only Ferrari, Red Bull and McLaren would be allowed on the track.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schumi is used to being the best. Not excusing him but he will resort to these tactics once things dont go his way anymore.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:36 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by phil121081,Aug 1 2010, 02:38 PM
is not fast enough to be competitive
get a grip

Old 08-01-2010, 09:22 AM

Not his finest hour tbh.

Never been a fan of Schumacher and I've always thought he had a nasty streak about him. We all know what he did to Hill and tried with Villeneuve. Those incidents were bad, but this is in a different league. Trying to push a driver into a solid wall at speed is something else.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

if he had wanted to push Rubens into the wall he could have done

since the consequences could have been just as serious for MS, I doubt that was his intention

the fact is, he didn't

what he did so was squeeze Rubens in waht was undoubtedly an aggressive and intimidatory move

but what I don't understand is, if Rubens had noticed 'gaps being closed late' for the previous few laps, he went for the one that he did

tbh, it didn't look any more dangerous to me than Vettel's ramming of Webber a few weeks ago
Old 08-01-2010, 09:36 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

Rubens showed class with his comments, Schumacher only proved that he still thinks his way is the only way. Time the stewards told him otherwise.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:28 AM

Not a "nice" move by Schumi
But in all honesty there are a fair few drivers past and present who would have done something similar for that last point.
Unfortunately predicting the outcome is the hard part

Quick Reply: Should M. Schumacher still be racing F1