Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

...stand off

Old 09-01-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common myth that it's illegal but it's just guidance in the Highway Code which is a code of pracise that you shouldn't ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends.

However it is illegal under the RTA to ride in a dangerous, careless or inconsiderate manner.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Yep and at which point, as a road user, the police would simply quote the highway code and book you for that. Mind you, when was the last time you saw someone get told off for riding on the pavement.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 PM

Received 627 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
It's in the highway code - think it's 'rule 66' from a quick google.

It's the FU attitude of the groups that want to ride around like they're on the tour de france that irritate me. It's almost impossible to overtake them safely.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069837
I'm a keen cyclist but these mini peletons on main roads boil my piss. Overtake close, full throttle and swearing. Like with horses
Old 09-02-2012, 12:37 AM

The beauty of being open topped is being able to hear as well as be heard.

There's always the option of deliberately clipping the muck and stones crap at the edge of most B roads - that seems to make the problem less visible in your rear view mirror at least - if they don't give you enough room to pass then it's not my fault if I'm forced far enough out to the right to hit that stuff
Old 09-02-2012, 01:35 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by arsie
Know what you mean.

My new neighbour is a local hospital paediatric anaesthetist. You would think a caring sympo sort of guy. His dogs left loose have been barking madly at us in the garden this past six month. I go round to chat about it and he asks me to leave. So immature. He comes from a city suburb and thinks in our village he is Mr Big but won't accept that his unschooled dogs cannot just run loose in his half acre of garden. He and his missus earn north of £100k per annum but he can't/won't do anything, his dogs are 'entitled' to run free. I think he has a chip because he is 'only' a Dr not a Mr. There is I think a big difference in the NHS pecking order A bit of a different situation but not really.

12 bore here I come (only half joking)
Obviously a question of 'won't' rather than 'can't.'

Just write him a polite letter, referring to your conversation and telling him that if he doesn't rememdy the situation you will have no option but to escalate the matter with the local Council. Keep the message going that that you don't want to do this but the solution is in his hands. You will propose a couple of weeks as a reasonable time for him to get things under control. And if you haven't started, then start keeping a detailed log of the barking. Give him exactly two weeks after starting the log and if he hasn't done anything follow through with your threat. The Council will have to respond. He cannot afford a conviction of any type and this is the advantage of dealing with people who have something to lose.

I had to do exactly the above with some very strange neighbours I had for a while. It did the trick.

In France, the neighbours had a dog that was not only noisy and over-territorial (you couldn't walk into the garden without the dog going mental)and it also looked very, very dangerous. I think it was some kind of Mastiff, massive and would work itself into a frenzy trying to get at anyone it could see/smell/hear. Incredibly wearing when you can't go into your own garden without it going mental. In that case the (French) owner was similarly disdainful of my reasonable requests for him to get/keep the dig under control so I told him that I would shoot the dog if I thought there was any danger of it getting it at me or mine in the garden (we are talking about a huge dog, literally hysetrical with rage and aggression, hurling itself against a quite low chain link type fence, which if it possessed brains, it might be able to scale). I have legally held guns in France. Cue various tiresome racist insults (there are lots of racists in France, as there are here, together with stupid people) and a stereotypical Gallic tirade which caused me to lose all of one second's sleep.

I don't think it would have been easy to justify shooting the dog unless it really did get through or over the fence but then I could hardly spend all my time in the garden with a bloody gun, just in case! As it happened there was a perfect solution that also kept me in the clear. Someone (a Frenchman) poisoned the dog in a period while I was away for a couple of months. After that the owner moved away after his business failed. Tough merde. I love dogs but I was glad that fecker was poisoned. I hope it didn't suffer but it didn't belong amongst humans. I am sure that if it had got to a person it would have torn them to pieces - genuinely scary and I am not normally worried by dogs in the slightest.

The 'consultant' neighbours sound like selfish pricks who need to be put in their place. Deal with them. You are completely (based on your story) in the right.
Old 09-02-2012, 01:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
The lesson is... Everyones a cock

Fortunately they aren't, but there is a significant minority that have a major effect on the rest of us.

As in the case posted by the OP or Arsie's noisy neighbours.

Most drivers just want to get from A to B without any hassle, most dog owners are normal responsible citizens

Even though it pains to me to say it, most cyclists are fine too
Old 09-02-2012, 03:26 AM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by gaddafi
Originally Posted by arsie' timestamp='1346529149' post='21981439
My new neighbour is a local hospital paediatric anaesthetist. You would think a caring sympo sort of guy. His dogs left loose have been barking madly at us in the garden this past six month. I go round to chat about it and he asks me to leave. So immature. He comes from a city suburb and thinks in our village he is Mr Big but won't accept that his unschooled dogs cannot just run loose in his half acre of garden. He and his missus earn north of £100k per annum but he can't/won't do anything, his dogs are 'entitled' to run free.

Just write him a polite letter, referring to your conversation and telling him that if he doesn't rememdy the situation you will have no option but to escalate the matter with the local Council. Keep the message going that that you don't want to do this but the solution is in his hands. You will propose a couple of weeks as a reasonable time for him to get things under control. And if you haven't started, then start keeping a detailed log of the barking. Give him exactly two weeks after starting the log and if he hasn't done anything follow through with your threat. The Council will have to respond. He cannot afford a conviction of any type and this is the advantage of dealing with people who have something to lose.

I had to do exactly the above with some very strange neighbours I had for a while. It did the trick.

The 'consultant' neighbours sound like selfish pricks who need to be put in their place. Deal with them. You are completely (based on your story) in the right.
Thanks Pete. Going to the Council and logging etc I have in my mind but they know the score on this nuisance. She works from home in a cabin in their grounds. Some sort of BMA quasi legal advice role to medical practitioners in trouble. The dogs get chucked out so she can do her work. They are well aware of the issue and quite capable of addressing it - see my 'ps' below. I would not be surprised if they would play games if/when the Council got involved. So I am speaking softly and not getting arsie (!) that would lose me the high moral ground I wonder if working from a portacabin in your garden needs planning permission or at least annual payment of a business council tax rate on the dedicated premises.

My letter went through their door last night after MoTD (Mr Fxxxx is who they bought from in June 2010).

5 Any Road
My Village

31st August 2012
Dr A R Gxxxxxx
7 Any Road

Dear Roger,

I came to see you the other day before we finally move into our new house. I wanted to air a few concerns. We didn’t get very far, you asked me to leave. Our concerns are:

Firstly, your hedge on our mutual boundary. Mr Fxxxxx used to trim both sides twice a year. He stopped in 2009. I have kept our side trim since then but the hedge is too big. On your side trees have grown up. Some are nearly as high again as the hedge itself.

When you trim the hedge – you did say ‘it is on my list’ – we would be grateful if you could remove the new grown trees and reduce the height from nine feet by a foot or so? If you need access from our side that’s fine by us, just ask. Mr Fxxxxx found it helpful.

Secondly, dogs. In December you kindly agreed we could remove some hedge to help make our drive. With hindsight, this was a bad idea of mine. Left to their own devices dogs can be aggressively territorial. Yours are prone to dash over and bark furiously at anyone on our drive. The same thing happens if we move about in front of our house or in our garden behind the house. This has been going on for months now.

Your garden is very big and I would think there is plenty of room for kennels, a gated run or even a ‘dog exclusion zone’. I have some spare old fencing posts and wire mesh if you want them. A local man made our own dog fences for us. He is not expensive.

Thirdly, the view from our front door. The outlook isn’t very salubrious. Your new hedge will take years to grow cover. It isn’t unusual to put up a fence until a hedge grows. Could you extend your larch-lap fencing? If cost is a problem we can talk.

It is a shame I have to write to you. I am sorry if my letter causes offence. I assure you none is intended. We have been here for years and are retired now. You both work and there are many priorities in your lives. Old-fashioned neighbourly communication and consideration is all we ask.

We are happy to talk at any time.

Yours sincerely,

Xxxxx Yyyy

p.s. Since we spoke the dogs have not run around barking at us. Long may it continue!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by arsie
Originally Posted by gaddafi' timestamp='1346578557' post='21982295
[quote name='arsie' timestamp='1346529149' post='21981439']
My new neighbour is a local hospital paediatric anaesthetist. You would think a caring sympo sort of guy. His dogs left loose have been barking madly at us in the garden this past six month. I go round to chat about it and he asks me to leave. So immature. He comes from a city suburb and thinks in our village he is Mr Big but won't accept that his unschooled dogs cannot just run loose in his half acre of garden. He and his missus earn north of £100k per annum but he can't/won't do anything, his dogs are 'entitled' to run free.

Thanks Pete. Going to the Council and logging etc I have in my mind but they know the score on this nuisance. She works from home in a cabin in their grounds. Some sort of BMA quasi legal advice role to medical practitioners in trouble. The dogs get chucked out so she can do her work. They are well aware of the issue and quite capable of addressing it - see my 'ps' below. I would not be surprised if they would play games if/when the Council got involved. So I am speaking softly and not getting arsie (!) that would lose me the high moral ground I wonder if working from a portacabin in your garden needs planning permission or at least annual payment of a business council tax rate on the dedicated premises.

My letter went through their door last night after MoTD (Mr Fxxxx is who they bought from in June 2010).

5 Any Road
My Village

31st August 2012
Dr A R Gxxxxxx
7 Any Road

Dear Roger,

I came to see you the other day before we finally move into our new house. I wanted to air a few concerns. We didn’t get very far, you asked me to leave. Our concerns are:

Firstly, your hedge on our mutual boundary. Mr Fxxxxx used to trim both sides twice a year. He stopped in 2009. I have kept our side trim since then but the hedge is too big. On your side trees have grown up. Some are nearly as high again as the hedge itself.

When you trim the hedge – you did say ‘it is on my list’ – we would be grateful if you could remove the new grown trees and reduce the height from nine feet by a foot or so? If you need access from our side that’s fine by us, just ask. Mr Fxxxxx found it helpful.

Secondly, dogs. In December you kindly agreed we could remove some hedge to help make our drive. With hindsight, this was a bad idea of mine. Left to their own devices dogs can be aggressively territorial. Yours are prone to dash over and bark furiously at anyone on our drive. The same thing happens if we move about in front of our house or in our garden behind the house. This has been going on for months now.

Your garden is very big and I would think there is plenty of room for kennels, a gated run or even a ‘dog exclusion zone’. I have some spare old fencing posts and wire mesh if you want them. A local man made our own dog fences for us. He is not expensive.

Thirdly, the view from our front door. The outlook isn’t very salubrious. Your new hedge will take years to grow cover. It isn’t unusual to put up a fence until a hedge grows. Could you extend your larch-lap fencing? If cost is a problem we can talk.

It is a shame I have to write to you. I am sorry if my letter causes offence. I assure you none is intended. We have been here for years and are retired now. You both work and there are many priorities in your lives. Old-fashioned neighbourly communication and consideration is all we ask.

We are happy to talk at any time.

Yours sincerely,

Xxxxx Yyyy

p.s. Since we spoke the dogs have not run around barking at us. Long may it continue!
[/quote]

good letter

let's hope they respond

running a business from home may not be an automatic right
Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 AM

Received 627 Likes on 547 Posts

Ooh harsh.

Talking if which Rog, have you seen "saw"? It has ideas re dealing with difficult f@#kers.

I am kidding obviously.

Far too elaborate
Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Can't help thinking the problem is people disappearing behind hedges, fences, security doors and a total lack of community spirit. Now it's 'dealing with people' rather than knowing them and talking to them.

Not that I'm pointing a finger, far from it - it's a society thing. My only 'neighbours' are the farmer and my landlord. If they're up to anything such as a shoot or something that might involve people coming and going, they let me know in advance. If i'm having a bbq in the back garden with some 'fireworks' or a bit of noise, I let them know in advance.

It's so much easier when everyone wants to get along.

When you think back a few years, you'd see your neighbours all the time. Either on the drive on a weekend washing the car or doing the gardening. Maybe invited around for a BBQ in the summer or you'd see them down the local pub. The good thing about that is that you know if new dogs are coming, you know if someone is planning on cutting a hedge or is fed up of a tree blocking sunlight before it becomes a problem,

Now people have gardeners, the car goes to a carwash and a true village pub is a distant memory for most.

Now the only time you talk to neighbours is if you HAVE to and it's always about problems rather than being sociable.

That's not to say I don't agree with Nott ... as I do ... there are an increasing amount of utter o0cks out there.

Quick Reply: ...stand off