Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

XC60

Old 12-19-2016, 01:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tailhappy
Yes as Toe says I had a 2010 xc60. Never again. In under 24k the clutch packed up (replaced under warranty), then the wheel bearing went, then the power steering rack started to develop play in it so had to be replaced. I noticed the previous owner had to get the MAF sensor changed (another friend who had one had to get this done also outside the warranty which was over £500).

Finally half the driveshaft went on it (clunking and rumbling noises developed) and part of the suspension had a bush in which was startling to de laminate. All under 50k miles. Driveshaft outside warranty and cost a bomb.

so in short a complete pile of crap oh and dross to drive (a boat in the bends).
We had a 2013 D4 SE and then a 2012 D3 SE Lux. The first was my wife's company car, we then bought the second one when she changed jobs.

The first one was ok, but we only had it for 6 months or so. The second had done 24k miles when we bought it and we put 10k miles on it. It needed a new gearbox at 30k miles and the clutch was also well worn. Managed to get both done under a third party warranty or it would have been a £2k+ bill. With hindsight, despite it having been a mobility supplied car and having a full dealer service history, i suspect it had been clocked.

Shortly before we sold it, it developed an intermittent fault with the power steering. The folding mirrors stopped working on one side and the climate control never worked properly. All in all it was pretty crap.

Plus it was like driving an armchair. I would steer clear.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's proper put me off another Volvo as our "lugger"
Old 12-19-2016, 02:05 AM

crikey... not good feedback for Volvo!

none of which really relevant if leasing, other than the pain in the backside side, but at 2 years, 15k miles, I am sure I would be safe.

but the 'drive' is starting to concern me more... I like my golf, it's fun, perhaps need a 'bridge' before I go full boremode...

S5 Sportback (is a big hatch, so should be ok with a dog) is pretty good value at sub £300 PCM, just a bit more down initial, £2k or so.

Will give that some more thought.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a SE Lux Auto D5 for three and a half years from new and had no issues whatsoever with it. It's pretty obvious cars like these aren't sporty to drive but as a comfortable mile muncher I really liked it.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:37 AM

I have a Golf and a V70 D5 estate. Only bought the Volvo recently to lug building materials etc. Didn't expect to like it as much as I do, ( I love my Golf as well)
but find myself taking the Volvo often. The only problem I've found is getting out of the comfy seat at journeys end.
Old 12-19-2016, 06:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been quite pleased with our v50 too. It's a gutless 1.6 d2 one but its fine for doing the shopping in or having the mtb's on the roof and it's an SE Lux so the audio in it is great, much better than in my M3. It's not had any problems in the 5yrs we had it either.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by WinFreak
That's good to know. We've started thinking about replacing our v50 at some point and the xc60 has crossed my mind.

What about the v60, would that be more like the v40 or more like the xc60 you think?
interestingly we had a v60 the other day as a courtesy car whilst our v40 was in for its 3rd EGR valve/cooler (product recall on the VEA D4 engine as they keep clogging up/blunting low down acceleration and throwing an engine warning light up) It was a d4 190 bhp engine too (the same as ours). Very boaty and big to drive more like the x60 in the handling department. Maybe the r design suspension and low pro alloy setup would sharpen it more like the v40? It was quick in a straight line though like the V40. Didn't like the look of it though. Proper old gits grandad mobile.

I must say though mechanical issues aside Volvo do build very comfortable cars.

If I had my time again I'd just buy something Japanese.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by phil121081
crikey... not good feedback for Volvo!

but the 'drive' is starting to concern me more... I like my golf, it's fun, perhaps need a 'bridge' before I go full boremode...

S5 Sportback (is a big hatch, so should be ok with a dog) is pretty good value at sub £300 PCM, just a bit more down initial, £2k or so.

Will give that some more thought.
A couple of my friends have a mk5 golf gtd 140 bhp diesels. I have driven one and they are a great steer. Very go cart like with good turn in. Trust me when I say my vans are more engaging to drive than our xc60 was. Don't get me wrong the xc60 is a very comfortable refined ride, great for munching up the miles and practical for load lugging but zero engagement in the bends.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:24 PM

A couple of my friends have a mk5 golf gtd 140 bhp diesels. I have driven one and they are a great steer. Very go cart like with good turn in. Trust me when I say my vans are more engaging to drive than our xc60 was. Don't get me wrong the xc60 is a very comfortable refined ride, great for munching up the miles and practical for load lugging but zero engagement in the bends.
Horses for courses, good to take the one you fancy that day.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:46 AM

I'm in a Golf R at the moment (lease), so if a mk5 GTD makes the the XC60 seem dull.. gulp.

S5 idea came and went, not sure any good for the dog... I'm clutching at straws to stay in something remotely interesting / fast.

The head scratching continues...

Quick Reply: XC60