Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Xenon lights, any MOT testers out there?

Old 12-24-2013, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xenon lights, any MOT testers out there?

Hi guys Merry Christmas, I have an opportunity to buy a OE Xenons (Litronics) for my 911 but if I remember correctly, the cars equipped with xenons need to have a headlamp washer, which unfortunately my car does not have..... The other point was that it was a horizontal beam rather than the beam angled up when dipped which I was told is not an issue in UK. Can any of you confirm what I have posted above?

Cheers
Old 12-26-2013, 12:20 AM

I've just had Xenons fitted to my gen 2 Boxster as the OEM halogens were rubbish. They're not OEM Xenons but a conversion kit. Make sure the ones you get are either OEM or compatible with cars with a canbus system because apparently you'll get electronic issues. I'm having to take mine back to the garage in the new year as the left hand light doesn't always illuminate immediately and displays a warning on the on board computer, nine times out of ten it works fine though but going to get them to look at it anyhow.

I asked about the headlamp washer/self levelling MOT ruling but they told me if it's not fitted it can't be tested and as far as they are aware there will be no issue with beam pattern.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit_287
I've just had Xenons fitted to my gen 2 Boxster as the OEM halogens were rubbish. They're not OEM Xenons but a conversion kit. Make sure the ones you get are either OEM or compatible with cars with a canbus system because apparently you'll get electronic issues. I'm having to take mine back to the garage in the new year as the left hand light doesn't always illuminate immediately and displays a warning on the on board computer, nine times out of ten it works fine though but going to get them to look at it anyhow.

I asked about the headlamp washer/self levelling MOT ruling but they told me if it's not fitted it can't be tested and as far as they are aware there will be no issue with beam pattern.
I think the MOT requirement is vague to say the least although Northern Ireland one is far more specific about aftermarkets or even orignals being equipped with these 2 functions otherwise it fails. AA however states the NI one and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets tightened up to this regulation. It is not so much of a problem for me as I don't drive the car in the dark as I hate driving where I cannot scan far ahead and anticipate problems but it would be nice if I could fit the Xenons as they are from the factory.