Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Going pay rate for IT person

Old 08-13-2010, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going pay rate for IT person

As some of you know, I work parts for a dealership. It's a good job, but not much room for financial expansion. And I really like working for this company. There are currently 4 local dealerships and 1 in Augusta. I do some basic computer/printer work for my dealership. I used to do IT work years ago, but have been out of it for a while. I'm going to talk to our CFO and see if they will pay for school part time and I'll work for reduced pay for a couple of years to pay it back. I have worked here for 3 years already, so hopefully that helps. I am also going to propose I be the IT guy for the local dealerships and be stationed out of my current dealership. It should be a lot cheaper for them because they currently contract out that work. And make me more money at the same time. I have no idea what the current pay is for semi entry level IT people. Any ideas?
Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In order for it to make sense to the CFO, you will have to be able to do everything the outsourced company can do, for less than they pay that company for an entire year, and then they will still be concerned with IT support during your vacation etc.

Good luck with your endeavor.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother works for an accounting firm as the entire IT department and is in school for his degree now and makes between $15-20 an hour with promise of more money as his education background grows. He is full-time and spends a lot of the day paper pushing but has to be on call 24/7. If he goes on vacation he has to take into account. He has to be able to remote in at the very least.

I'm not sure if he is average but maybe with a couple other first hand accounts you can find your average. I am also in school for Networking so good luck from a fellow IT geek.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:08 PM

I am a principal-level network engineer. I can't speak of general IT directly, but in my company, our entry level guys must have at least basic Cisco certs (CCNA usually). Those positions pay in the 35-45k range annually, are typically salaried rather than hourly, and do require significant on-call responsibility.

MCSE certification should help in your quest.

Good Luck!
Dave
Old 08-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Dave, what company do you work for? I'm with Teradata Corp, and we have several customers in the Raleigh area. If you would rather not elaborate I understand, just found it interesting.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:43 PM

I don't mind at all - I work for Perimeter eSecurity, a small ~ 350 employee outfit HQ'd in Milford, Connecticut. We mainly do secured networks for financial industry clients, including reporting necessary for their audits, etc. Our NOC is in Morrisville, near the Airport, and my office is there. That facility houses our Sec Eng, Sec Ops, and Deployment engineering teams as well. I'm the Technical Lead for new deployments.

Dave
Old 08-13-2010, 06:17 PM
T K

Originally Posted by parkerdt,Aug 13 2010, 08:43 PM
I don't mind at all - I work for Perimeter eSecurity, a small ~ 350 employee outfit HQ'd in Milford, Connecticut. We mainly do secured networks for financial industry clients, including reporting necessary for their audits, etc. Our NOC is in Morrisville, near the Airport, and my office is there. That facility houses our Sec Eng, Sec Ops, and Deployment engineering teams as well. I'm the Technical Lead for new deployments.

Dave
Very good company to work for. I do IT Recruiting/Staffing locally.

I would say that kind of job depending on what you could do around 35k, because there is still some stuff that is going to have to be escalated at times that you won't be able to handle.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by parkerdt,Aug 13 2010, 08:43 PM
Our NOC is in Morrisville, near the Airport, and my office is there.
I bet you're the Rio I see in Perimeter Park all the time! I'm around the corner at Lenovo.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:21 PM

Us RTP people should get together for lunch sometime.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by RStoR,Aug 13 2010, 10:51 PM
I bet you're the Rio I see in Perimeter Park all the time! I'm around the corner at Lenovo.
Sometimes, yes. I see what must be your silverstone quite often, another Rio, a Suzuka every few weeks, and occasionally both an NFR and a GPW out on Airport Blvd., mostly.

I only go to the office a few days a week, and if the weather is threatining, I drive my Fit.

I agree with Karl - let's all get together for lunch sometime!

Dave

Quick Reply: Going pay rate for IT person