Carolinas A Better Place to Be

LS6 race car build

Old 01-14-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You started teasing us too far before the final unveil. We want to see the masterpiece already.

I'm not familiar with this process. Will you be able to reuse the molds or is it a destructive process?
Old 01-14-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will010100
You started teasing us too far before the final unveil. We want to see the masterpiece already.

I'm not familiar with this process. Will you be able to reuse the molds or is it a destructive process?
I'm working on it. I should have my first set of flares by the weekend. I only made temp molds for now, good for maybe 5 sets of flares. If you use the proper tools and wax/pva the flares pop out with ease. The molds will warp over time-(reason for most replica fitment issues) I plan on making braced molds good for a few dozen sets, but it's the damn fiberglass resin that's destructive. It stinks up my whole house. I feel like I'm huffing glue in my sleep.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:27 AM

mechanical update:
Heads are back from roush racing.
Ported, Honed, and fully dressed.

dressed

I also decided to take the extra step and go with a 4 stage dry sump kit ( 14-16 gpm)
here is a pic of the kit:

I managed to get my hands on a prototype pan NRC altered to fit cars with sub frame clearance issues.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am so glad I browsed my way into this thread
Old 01-20-2015, 12:14 PM

finally making my own fender flares.
I finished glassing the rear flares last night. Hopefully Ill get the fronts finished by tomorrow.

finished temporary molds:

Old 01-20-2015, 04:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Did you hit Costco for the blue gloves?

Looking good!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pinky
Did you hit Costco for the blue gloves?

Looking good!
thx,
I buy the gloves in bulk for my Lab. When I run out I just bring a new box home.
Fiberglass resin is messy stuff and I hate sticky fingers.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:51 PM

Hey man love how the build is going! Since you will be in an unlimited class, have you thought about adding a diffuser or even a full under tray? You could add channels to the diffuser/undertray for differential and transmission cooling. Or even more awesome, cut into the quarter panels and add naca ducts to channel air onto a heat exchanger (for differential/transmission cooling) at the rear bumper. For instance, cut out the license plate area of the bumper and place the hx there. I imagine there should still be room for a fuel cell depending on how your route the hoses and air ducts.

One of Stephen(insaneSP)'s buddies runs this solution (heat exchanger in the rear bumper) on his 350z. He put the pump for the cooler in the trunk area and spal fans on it for cooling.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:18 AM

^thx, I finished glassing the fronts last night.

I'm adding a custom 5" splitter w/under tray and side splitters. I have the cardboard templates already made I just need to cut them out of the omega-bond.
omega-bond is like Alumalite except its stronger and thinner. It weights about the same but instead of a cardboard like inner cavity its solid FRP. I wanted to be able to smash into traffic cones and not worry about the splitter breaking. Plus it comes in different colors, I went with gloss black. I also have a voltex style frp rear diffuser I picked up for practically nothing bc it was cracked. I repaired/painted it for less then 20$. I don't plan on running any sort of trans/diff cooler atm. If trans/diff heat becomes an issue ill start piecing a kit together.
^- if you want you can use my cr race splitter templet. You need to buy a whole sheet of omega bond but it's enough to make other aero pieces so it won't go to waste. I picked it up at a sign shop for 100$. The remaining hardware and struts can be made for 50$. I have a nutsert tool if you want to make side splitters.
Omega-bond sheet: w/ my home built racing sim in the background.

basement seat time- custom built sim, g27 wheel kit, 110" 1080 optima projector, gt6.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Impressive. Dig the Racing Sim Setup, Dig the DIY skills. I wish I had the time. Subbed

Quick Reply: LS6 race car build