Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Moving to Charlotte?

Old 11-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moving to Charlotte?

Alright...realizing that Retail Management is getting old...now at 5+ years...I'm looking for something else. I feel like my passion lies in marketing.

Great news is...SunCom has two awesome positions available that could be my "dream job."

Bad news is...they are both in Charlotte.

Figures as much...nice corporate-type jobs won't be found in New Bern or Morehead City...so it's time to look at getting out.

I love working with SunCom, so I'd prefer to stay with the company. The only issue that rises are below:
  • Anna and I are having our new home built --- however, they have yet to break ground. Wonder if we can "stop" the process...hmmmmm.
  • What is life like...living in Charlotte?
  • What will Anna do? She has tons of experience in restaurants...hmmmmm.
  • How much more will the cost of living be?

The biggest issues are the new house and Anna with the restaurant. Anna and I have always wanted to move from New Bern...to a bigger city and we especially like Knoxville. However, Charlotte has the added perks of S2000 friends and it's only 4 (or so) hours from the Dragon! C'mon! What can be better than that???

The SunCom office is in the SouthPark area...so please recommend some areas where we can buy/build a home that is not too far...but not too close either. Our target purchase price on a home is about $160k.

Waiting with anticipation...
Old 11-25-2005, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Realizing that I don't live in Charlotte...we would love to have you guys closer to us...and the Dragon (of course)!!!

I'm sure the Charlotte gang can give you no end of good advice. There are a zillion restaraunts in the Charlotte area, so I can't imagine Anna having a problem finding something, in that field. As for housing, I would imagine that $160K figure might be your biggest challenge, but again...I'm not familiar with the housing costs in that area.

So...being short on useful information...I still vote for you to move to Charlotte (or somewhere closer, anyway).
Old 11-25-2005, 11:13 AM

In Charlotte right now for Turkey day. Housing in the imediate Southpark area is not cheap or in Charlotte in general for that matter. You could find something decently close to Southpark like out near Park Rd or South blvd for around there. I think it is doable. I doubt Anna will have a problem finding work because the restaurant scene here is BOOMING. Especially recently.

I say go for it Raul. No time like the present. 5 years in retail is enough to drive anyone batty...
Old 11-25-2005, 11:24 AM

Charlotte is definitely a growing 'metropolis'. I moved here three years ago and it seems to get bigger every month.

160K in the South Park area might be a bit tough....honestly. Unless your the handy type. To give you an idea, I bought my 2 bed/2.5 bath townhouse two years ago for 155K in the Ballantyne area. Granted it's a townhouse, but my travel schedule really doesn't allow the luxury of time for things like a garden and lawn and such. Although, I do have a two car garage

Distance from South Park is not more than 15 minutes straight up Park Road. That might extend to 20-25 minutes during rush hour.

Regarding your current house situation...you'd probably want to review the contract. But I can't imagine they haven't anticipated something like this. Worst case, I believe, you would probably loose your deposit. But since they haven't broken ground. They should be able to put the lot back on the market with little fuss.

What does Anna do in restaurants?? My GF is partners in a local chain here in Charlotte. She's always looking for experienced people...

In short, come on down!
mike
Old 11-25-2005, 04:30 PM

I was talking about you just today (at the event you didn't show up for) and told cutuesday that I thought you'd be GREAT in a PR/marketing position, only I was thinking you shouldwork for Honda.

Seriously, I think you'd be great at something like that. You're smart, creative, get along great with people (who don't have bears around) have a positive outlook on life, are self motivated and well organized (anal).

I think you should go for it. Just don't go to the interview driving a square car saying, "We get it".
Old 11-26-2005, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by MyBad,Nov 25 2005, 08:30 PM
Just don't go to the interview driving a square car saying, "We get it".
Old 11-26-2005, 08:16 AM

C'mon up!!! Be more than happy to show you around. Since Charlotte is on the NC/SC border, you might want to think about buying in SC. Housing should be less expensive there and you certainly won't have to deal with the ever increasing tax hikes to fund things like BobCats Arena.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:43 AM

Charlotte is a fantastic place to live, and I think you will both enjoy it. Your best bet for $160 is on the outside of I485 towards Union Cty.

I assume there is more to do here than where you are so, naturally, you will spend more. However, you will most likely be making more, thats just how the game goes. Beside, you will be drinking lots of wine with Ron and Sheila!

As for your current house, I would contact your atty. first. You may just lose your pre-construction deposit, if you put one down. SunCom might also cover the deposit loss if they transfer you. Make sure to negotiate the moving cost as well- they should cover all of it, but it varies with each company.

There are enough connections on this board that Anna will have no problem finding a place to work, especially with her experience.

Traffic stinks but that is the only downside. You will love it in Charlotte.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Huskergirl,Nov 26 2005, 03:43 PM
Traffic stinks but that is the only downside. You will love it in Charlotte.
Yeah, now that Kalan is gone traffic IS the only downside
Old 11-26-2005, 08:04 PM

I'm not really sure what you mean by that comment.

Quick Reply: Moving to Charlotte?