Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Scouting for Curves in preparation for the Pinehurst NC Meet, Sept 13th...Must Read!

Old 08-30-2003, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cutuesday and I decided to take our bikes out and help develop a S2K Drive for those attending the Pinehurst S2ki Event Sept 13th. What better way to replicate the excitement of driving the S2000 but on a sportbike right? Having both a S2000 and a bike, I find I really pay attention to the quality of pavement. You have to read the road in a very similar way. It's no fun dodging bumps, potholes, tar strips etc. They take the joy away from the high speed thrill of challenging curves and corners that keep my S2000 singing sweet VTEC sounds.

Anyway, when we set out from Fayetteville and crossed into Moore County the first thing I noticed was the high quality road surface...Much better! No more Cumberland County tar snakes/strips.....There are some really nice roads here. The Sandhills area is a great setting for the meet..this is Golf and Horse heaven. Add in Pinehurst's unique Boulevard's and a few interesting Traffic Circles/Round-abouts and you have the makings of a real fun S2K meet.

That said..
Airgate has really out-done him self this time finding us a spot to celebrate the S2000......Pinehurst is beautiful! It's centrally located making it an easy drive for Charlotte, Raleigh and even our SC S2k'rs. Here is our starting point. Manicured lawn, big overhanging porches with fans, big ferns and rocking chairs. Exquisite!

Cutuesday and I left the resort and mapped out a drive that will take no more than 1-1/2 hours to complete. In the best interest of everyone. PLEASE TOP OFF FOR FUEL B-4 YOU ARRIVE AT THE RESORT.

This will allow everyone to stay together with a minimum amount of stops/starts. We'll probably provide a map with the route highlighted for those who take Geritol and can't keep up.

Trust me we found some nice curves. Need proof? How's this pic. One in particular " Old Glendon Road " is so sweet we're running it TWICE!

But we've gotta be safe.... we don't want to resemble this road! ........

We'll have a few photo opportunities..

And other Points of Interest (that double as restroom breaks) Like the Botanical Gardens.
We may stop at the Honda Dealership in Aberdeen. Cutuesday will be letting them know we are in town. Can you say HONDA Freebies ????
The drive will end at this neat Car Museum. For groups of 10 or more it's only $3.00

Here is the official thread for this meet. Cutuesday may post some of his pics (one of questionable character which may have to be edited). See you all in a few weeks!

PINEHURST SEPT 13th EAT MEET & DRIVE
BE THERE! OR B SQUARE!
Old 08-30-2003, 06:47 AM

Excellent write-up VROOOM. We really did enjoy seeing the sights and finding the twisties on sport bikes. It also saved us quite a bit of $ with premium at about $1.80. Based on the results of the scouting I think everyone will thoroughly enjoy this event. The drive consists of a mixture between spirited and scenic. There will be a few photo spots but watch out for VROOOM, he tends to be of "questionable character" from time to time.

I cannot stess enough how impressed I am with the Pinehurst Resort that Airgate has chosen as the lunch spot and beginning of the meet. Words do not do this place justice, you have to see it for yourself. It even has huge covered porches on each end of the building for outdoor seating that possibly rivals Sheila's big deck.

The final stop of this event will be at the classic car museum. It seems quite interesting however I beleive that the collection of cars outside on Sept. 13 will probably generate more interest than the ones inside. It is a perfect place to conclude the meet because the major highways come together in that area allowing easy access home.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:24 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent work Guys! I'm glad that you found Pinehurst to be a great place for a Meet, Eat and Drive. I'm really looking forward to a great time. Only a few weeks now.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:58 AM

This trip was so much fun. I should have named it N & R's Excellent Adventure. Possibly 12-S2000's attending so far and the list is growing ...... great!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:13 PM

I am going to go back soon to let the local dealership know that we will be in town and also drive the route again. If anybody wants to do a pre-run with me post here. I can go any day from friday the 5th on.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:16 AM

For those needing a more detailed map on how to get to the resort once in Pinehurst here is a good one.
Old 09-04-2003, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cutuesday
[B] Words do not do this place justice, you have to see it for yourself.