Carolinas A Better Place to Be

Visiting Asheville

Old 05-06-2017, 03:33 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Visiting Asheville

Question. I'm visiting Asheville in June / July with some friends and we were looking for places to eat, visit, etc. I know I'll sneak out one day to head down to the Dragon since I haven't gone there in a few years but we plan on staying in Asheville most of the time. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!
Old 05-06-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Tons of options - I love going up there. Restaurants tend to turn over pretty regularly, even if they are amazing - lots of competition, and there's lots to do. Basically afaik you want to be aware of West Asheville, the River Arts District, N Asheville, Downtown, and Biltmore Village, and everything in each area..

For food, there's lots of stuff - these I've been to and liked, but each time I go I find something new..

12 Bones - ribs, but limited hours - good for lunch
Tupelo - there are two now - one downtown is the original - usually packed but still worth it
Jerusalem or Rezaz - great Mediterranean
Chai Pani - Indian
Farm Burger - burgers and milkshakes
Chestnut - American /Southern
Limones - good Cali and Mexican, also White Duck Taco
Sunny Point or Biscuit Head for breakfast, or Early Girl, but these like Tupelo are all slammed in the mornings. I need to find some place no one knows about...
If you're there during the week, Bouchon has all you can eat mussels night - get there early. Otherwise it is still great.
Lots of desert places - Short Street Cakes is a good one off the beaten path.

If you're into breweries, there's lots too. Wicked Weed just sold out to AB Inbev, so it may be you last chance to try their beers before they get "corporatized". The Bier Garden is good for catching sporting events, but I think its all indoor. I'd go to New Belgium's brewery, but there are several others.

As for driving, yes you can head over to the Dragon, but there are lots of other great roads nearby too. You could also take the Parkway up to Little Switzerland and get lunch at the lodge there - interesting little place. The Diamondback is similar to The Dragon and near Little Switzerland, so you could try that. There's also a good run from Black Mountain down to Chimney Rock, but that is more trafficked - Highway 9 I think. I've also been on some of the twisties from Weaverville up towards Hot Springs (which is a cool little town and if you bring swim trunks, or not, you can get a tub for a bit of time) and toward the TN border - very little traffic and some great roads. The nice thing about the mountains is there are lots of great roads - The Dragon is great, but two hours away, and there are great roads minutes from where you'll be.

I'm sure someone that lives there could provide more info too.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hwy 151, 276, & 215 are some of my favorite driving roads. Enjoy stops along the way at Pisgah Inn (Lunch), Graveyard Fields, a few water falls and Devils Courthouse.

My go to food recommendations is Cúrate (if you want to drop some $$) or if you're on a budget Nine Mile (Montfort), Asheville Pizza (Downtown) or the Walk (West Asheville).

Sierra Nevada is just awesome when the weather is nice and the bluegrass is a play in'. Their food is excellent too.

For a beer Brahmari or Ben's Tune Up are my designated choices based on selection. For wine, 5 Walnut. For Cider, Urban Orchard (their Reuben is awesome).

Stop in at the pin ball museum for $9 all you can play pinball while drinking a PBR.

Anything with the words "Tupelo", "Mellow", "Farm Burger", "Rooftop Bar", "Chocolate Louge", "Wicked Weed" or "Well Played" you can skip. Trust me.

PM for any specific recommendations.

The dragon is a 90 min drive away but to be honest, there are better roads.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sierra nevada is pretty cool, farm burger is good too.. Did my fair share of driving on the parkway, I used to live in Greenville, SC so I did 215,276 in a loop very often.

276 has the glass looking waterfalls going towards SC. Just be careful since the road in some sections is in rough shape and has lots of pebbles and crap.
215 is good, you can get aggressive but not too crazy.
on the parkway itself, just watch out cops and stuff.. wouldn't go nuts here. If you want to explore, there is a spot between 276 and 215 called skinny dip falls. It has a pull off to the side but its really easy to miss since it has no markings, if your going towards asheville and you cross the tunnels you passed it.
You can swim and jump off from the rock at the skinny dip falls, crystal clear water and its really pretty.. Just keep in mind that water is f**** cold.

have fun! oh and watch out for cyclists
Old 05-11-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are plenty of breweries to visit if you're into that. The White Duck Taco shop was pretty delicious from what we had there.