Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Trip to Washington DC

Old 05-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Trip to Washington DC

Going to be travelling to the DC area for some touristy stuff with the GF. Was wondering if people could recommend a decent hotel for a few nights while we visit the sites? We'll probably be going there sometime around the 5th/6th of July. Also any decent places to go eat/drink at night would be great as well!!

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:13 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

Come the 4th. We have some pretty amazing fireworks being the nation's capital. I mostly know places outside the city (Alexandria, Pentagon City, Arlington) but you should check the Washingtonian website. They have comprehensive reviews of just about every single eatery around the area.

As for hotels, I'd look for one central to the sites you want to see. Use www.wmata.com to plan metro travel, you will want a hotel within a short walk to a stop so that you can get around without requiring a Cab.

There are some shady areas in DC to avoid staying in.. hit up this thread with your options and I'll try to keep you out of those. Hopefully other people will chime in too...

Lastly, are you flying or bringing your car? Parking would be a consideration but whether you bring it or not you will not be wanting to drive it around the city for all your sight seeing.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a few nice hotels in that are located in central DC where most of the tourist attractions are. I know there is a marriott right off 14th street which is pretty convienent if you want to alk or cab it to any monuments/museums.

Like Aaron said, we do have some great fireworks here on the 4th, so if time allows you to come, i would encourage it

As for drinking and eating, Georgetown is the place to go. There are quite a number of great resturaunts serving all different kinds of cusine. Try Sequoia's on the waterfront. There isn't a close by metro station to Georgetown so you might have to cab it (M street). There is also pretty good shopping in there.

Good resturaunts are all over DC. Hope this helps

If you do drive parking is a bit of a challenge.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by cap1,May 2 2006, 08:38 PM

There are a few nice hotels in that are located in central DC where most of the tourist attractions are. I know there is a marriott right off 14th street which is pretty convienent if you want to alk or cab it to any monuments/museums.
do you know which marriott that is? I'm on the marriott web page and i'm finding a ton of them ( they get pricey).
also, i will be driving the S to DC, but I will probably park it once I get there and cab/train most of the way... (so yes, a safe parking location would be preferred)
Old 05-02-2006, 06:42 PM

You can take the Metro to Foggy Bottom and its only a few blocks to M street and then maybe a couple more to get to Georgetown. I've done it before and it wouldnt take too long to walk it ... Assuming the weather is nice.

Not a bad area to walk around either.

If you want to save some cash, I'd consider staying outside of DC near a Metro stop and taking metro into the city.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Former Moderator

that's another idea that i was thinking about as well... problem is, where is a good area to stay (in terms of outside the DC)

thanks again for the great suggestions
Old 05-02-2006, 07:48 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

might check out weekend rates at the Monaco. They sometimes have a 99/night deal (which is significantly better than their 350+/night rate) and it's super swanky - deep jacuzzi tubs, separate sitting room and bedroom... Like I said, nice. We always stay in a Kimpton hotel if we get the chance.

http://www.monaco-dc.com/

Just not sure if you're going to find any deals (or rooms) around the 4th, tho...

Definitely check out Georgetown, Dupont Circle, Adams Morgan for great dining.
Mie N Yu is a very cool restaurant in Gtown (reservations recommended).
If you stay at the Monaco, there are some great places to eat right near there (the MCI center is across the street) and it's just a couple of blocks north of the Mall.

As far as outside of DC, look at Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon and even Ballston (neighborhoods in Arlington, VA right across the river and right along the Metro's Orange Line). That corridor from Rosslyn to Ballston has a ton of restaurants and bars and stuff itself, so if you wanted something after a day of sightseeing, but near home base, there's plenty to choose from.

I wouldn't recommend staying in Crystal City, VA, even though it seems convenient and there are lots of places to stay. It's basically a bunch of high rises, hotels and convention spaces.

If you didn't mind a little commute, old town Alexandria, VA has a lot of charm and places to enjoy and there are probably some B&B's and smaller hotels around there.

Have fun!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:27 PM

Yeah, I second the Hotel Monaco. Nice boutique hotel. Its a block or two from the Metro (subway), and Chinatown... which has been renovated with chain eateries (i.e. Legal Seafoods, Fados, Hooters... maybe we should scratch that one off the list...) The Spy Museum is near by, and a lot of other restaruants nearby... Jaleos for tapas, DC Chophouse, Austin Grill tex-mex, TenPenh fusion asian. Nice martini bar in the hotel itself. Convenient to the Mall, which is where all the Smithsonian Museums are located, if you don't mind a 5 or 6 block walk.

Hit the rooftop bar at the Hotel Washington for a nice romantic drink or dessert at night... overlooks Washington Monument, White House, other monuments.

Capital Grille or Old Ebbitt usually serve up a pretty nice meal.

JW Marriot is on 14th... seems to be the flagship Marriott hotel in DC.

Georgetown is definitely the place in the evenings... sort of a hike from the closest Metro stop, but a nice walk... nicer during the day. Great restaurants shopping and bars, nightlife.

There are a lot of other neighborhoods with good eats and drinks... Adams Morgan, Dupont Circle, Woodley Park (by Zoo... new baby panda). Best thing about DC is the Smithsonian Museums and Zoo are free... as well as the monuments... speaking of which some require timeslot tickets in advance.

You'll have a good time. Enjoy!
Old 05-03-2006, 04:32 AM

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,583 Posts

DC is expensive to stay in and socialize in, so be prepared to spend some bucks. Your timing around the 4th is not good, either. Also prime tourist season. Not trying to discourage you - just being realistic. Any hotels near Metro stops or close to/in the city are going to be pricey - i.e., at least $150 per night, assuming you can find that rate this late. I suggest you get a travel agent to help you out. Good luck!!
Old 05-03-2006, 05:07 AM
Former Moderator

thanks again everyone for all your help. a place that we were looking at is a bit away from the heart of the city..

http://www.holidayinncapitol.com/reservations.html

Holiday Inn Capitol
550 C Street SW
Washington, DC 20024
202/479-4000

It's pretty inexpensive too... Seems somewhat close to the museums and whatnot as well. We'll probably go somewhere in the evening to go check out the various nightlife around Georgetown and nearby areas.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!!! The Monaco looked amazing btw, but woah... $300+ a night!!!

Quick Reply: Trip to Washington DC