Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

newbe preparing for winter

Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbe preparing for winter

Have been in all my joy driving my new S, then last week coming off a cold wet nightwork driving home 46 deg. drizzle. damp roads. It was the first time when MY06 really just wanted to drive sideways. Initially a bit surprised, then amused, and had I bit of fun. But realized it wasnt the wet (drove in that plenty), it was the temp. I was well aware of this before purchase, but it was put out of my mind before now. This is my daily drive, and in the worst days of the winters to come, I have plenty of options to get where I need to be. But, the S is not going to be put away for the winter, I am going to continue to drive it.
Now, can you guys give me some sugg. for a winter setup? I am not looking for something to get me through a blizzard, but somethiing that will give me a bit more grip in the cold, and be able to get me home in some slush and light snow? I was thinking of maybe picking up some ap1 wheels and putting some winter tires on, at he same time, I dont want to completely kill the agility and fun of the car!
You guys have the experience what do you do?
Old 10-10-2006, 10:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

There will always be a pay off. Winter = less fun no matter how you look at it.

During the winter I put the stock rims back on with some AS tires so I can at least drive in under 50 degrees. Don't let the AS fool you though, they CANNOT BE DRIVEN IN THE SNOW! I cannot stress that enough

Not even a fine blanket of snow (like only a dusting). When there is just a dusting of snow I cannot make it up my girlfriends drive way (its steep) and the tires just don't grip.

If you plan on driving in any kind of snow / slush -- get the proper snow traction rated winter tires. Otherwise, your risking your life, your car, and other peoples lives.

I've driven (once) in ~2inches of unplowed snow on the road. I couldn't go about 20mph, couldn't start in 1st (had to start in 3rd) and the car would not respond to changes in the steering wheel. Its not something I want to repeat.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:07 AM

Snow and the "S" = great drifting practice...
Old 10-11-2006, 04:42 AM

Snow tires are a must for an S2000 that will be driven year round around here.

Everyone knows (or SHOULD know) that the stock summer tires are dangerous to use in snow or ice. But another less obvious issue with summer tires, like the S2000 comes with, is that the rubber compound of summer tires are just not designed to offer traction in cold temperatures. Summer tires offer optimum grip when the ambient temps are warm. As a result they are not suitable for winter driving, even when it's not snowing or wet out. All season or Snow tires will offer superior dry traction when the ambient temps are under 40 deg.

Andrew
Old 10-11-2006, 05:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First winter for me too with the S. After having driven a Porsche 944 with 10-inch wides in the rear (all-season, hah! certainly they must not consider snow part of the winter season) I decided to do it right. Get a 2nd set of wheels, snow tires and maybe even a bag or two of sand in the trunk. This way if the weather calls for even a hint of snow then I can swap wheels and toss in the bags in 30min or so.

My 2nd set of ap1's should be here today
Old 10-11-2006, 05:59 AM

just got my S02s pulled off of my AP1 wheels (have two good condition fronts if anyone is interested, they can be had for cheap). getting ready to sand them down and paint them. I will be mounting winter tires on them as soon as I pick out which ones I want.

I ran Blizzak LM-22s on my 330Ci and liked them alot, but they do not make the F/R combo. I need to do some research on what to get.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first winter as well, not worried though. I love driving in the snow. The car came with undersized all seasons on the AP1's, not sure how they'll fare but shouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I bought a set of AP1 wheels and put Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires on them. They were better than stock tires in rain, and great in snow. I could easily keep up with left-lane traffic, and that's all I need when it's snowing.

I thought I might have lost some dry grip, but I still took curves at the same speed with no slipping. I think the sidewalls are probably not as stiff as a stock tire, and that's what I'm feeling when I throw it into a curve.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 AM

Do you & your S a favor & get a winter beater
it's not fair to the S to subject it to winter crap weather!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The S is definatly fun in the snow when your in a nice big parking lot with no polls / curbs around so you can just drift.

When your driving on a road with traffic, curbs, turns...its NOT fun and more or less scarey depending on how much snow.

No AS tire will work in the snow unless its just a dusting. Trust me on that.

If you can get a beater car. I've seen to many posts on people crashing during the winter whether it be from black ice / snow / just being stupid.

Quick Reply: newbe preparing for winter