Delaware Valley S2000 Members Delaware, Eastern PA (Philly)Southern New Jersey

Oh My! Such a wonderful stretch of road I almost S*** my pants!

Old 07-20-2002, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone ever goes near Cumberland MD / Breezewood PA, you have to experience the same incredible several mile set of twisties that I did just today.

It's on PA route 26, just above the MD border, between Inglesmith and Clearville. I went south to north.

There are several miles of twisties that are labeled 10 MPH. It goes up and down and round and round more than any other road I've driven on in the last two decaded of driving.

After experiencing the first set, I was considering going back to take another stab at them. Looking for somewhere to turn around, BOOM! Another 10MPH twisty sign, followed by more blissful road. And they just kept coming, set after set! Needless to say, I just kept driving, looking for more

They just put a fresh coat of macadam down. The road is smooth and predictable, yet a challenge to do quickly and not get dizzy!
Old 07-20-2002, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm putting that one on my list of weekend rides.
Old 07-20-2002, 02:28 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

We DO need someone from Central PA to set up a drive... maybe to the West so the Allegheny club could meet up with us folks from East/Central.

Destiny, you should put your head together with mdb and Jay2000 (both in Harrisburg), and maybe the others in Central PA (see the Member Roster thread ). There are SOOO many neat roads in the valleys west of Gettysburg/ Carlisle, etc. I'm in Gettysburg area a lot and would def be there
Old 07-20-2002, 02:33 PM

I'll start thinking up a route. Let me know how much time (or how many miles) is right for a group ride.

I'd love to include the rte 26 stint, but I didn't see many points of interest in that area.

The Carlisle-York-Lancaster-Hershey-Reading area has lots of interesting things to see, places to stop, and some nice roads too.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Destiny2002

The Carlisle-York-Lancaster-Hershey-Reading area has lots of interesting things to see, places to stop, and some nice roads too.
that sounds really interesting - great roads, places to eat, things to do. i'd be in for that. let's start planning the last few rides before the season gets away from us!
Old 07-21-2002, 08:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is one "voice of experience" (I mapped out the entire PA portion of Fall Colors '01 for Rick H):
*Road time should prob'ly total 100-120 miles on the road
*It's good to start around noon, with a picnic lunch at a designated spot (State or County Parks work well) that's easy to find (near turnpike exit or I-81 or Rte.15, for example). This gives a chance to meet new ppl and look at cars, etc.
*I'm sorry to say that Reading/York/Lancaster (altho very scenic) may just be too d#mned crowded on the weekends. I would suggest something N of the turnpike and W of Rte. I-83/I-81~.
*Again suggesting PM to some other Central PA folks to get them involved... so you've got 4-5 ppl def interested. It's a good bit of work to set up properly, if you want to attract ppl from Balto/Pitts/Philly
*Good spots for photo shoots are always a Plus, but ppl don't seem too interested in "tourist attraction visits" (for example, I thought ppl would get excited about Gettysburg NP last Fall, but not too many DID... go figure)
*It could become one of the Sunday joint events of the MidAtlantic/ DelVal clubs, if there is enough interest.

Maybe Paul(ie) will lend some other ideas, after next weekend's Delaware drive
Old 07-21-2002, 12:42 PM

To all: I'd like to include this segment of road on a future drive. The planning for the drive can be found here:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=72878