Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Anyone watch "Passion of the Christ"?

Old 03-12-2004, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the movie with my wife tonight - shocking, refreshing, and powerful.

The sight was gruesome but I believe it enhanced the understanding of Jesus' sacrifice. Similar to what Buddha said "if I don't go to hell, who would?" I think the overriding compassion of these people is what shapes their religions today.
Old 03-13-2004, 02:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[Writing from a Christian perspective]

I kept asking a buddy of mine if he wanted to go see the movie (I watched it already), he said he already knows the story and doesn't need to be put through the gory. I told him that wasn't the point at all. Even Christians with a very intimate relationship with Christ don't fully understand nor can they fathom the cost of what was involved in His sacrifice - it cost God everything. I imagine the movie still doesn't do the real thing justice.

I too admit there was a certain amount of consternation before I went to see it - not because I thought I couldn't take the gore and blood but more to do with the fact that I'm proud to some extent (not nearly as much as I was years before) and didn't want to risk getting all misty and everything. More importantly, I didn't want to admit I was more sinful that I already am and a movie of this type would literally place me in a heavenly limelight. You know, kinda like when you immaculately clean your black car at twilight thinking you did a good job, then when completely bathed by sunlight at noon, you see swirls and water spots everywhere.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:22 AM

Similar to what Buddha said "if I don't go to hell, who would?"

I thought buddists dont believe in heaven/hell....???
Old 03-15-2004, 10:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KaiWang
Old 03-16-2004, 02:21 AM

"The Buddha was born Siddhartha Gautama, a prince of the Sakya tribe of Nepal, in approximately 566 BC. When he was twentynine years old, he left the comforts of his home to seek the meaning of the suffering he saw around him. After six years of arduous yogic training, he abandoned the way of self-mortification and instead sat in mindful meditation beneath a bodhi tree.

On the full moon of May, with the rising of the morning star, Siddhartha Gautama became the Buddha, the enlightened one. "

"the Buddha once said, 'When the average ignorant person makes an assertion to the effect that there is a Hell (patala) under the ocean he is making a statement which is false and without basis. The word 'Hell' is a term for painful sensations. 'The idea of one particular ready-made place or a place created by god as heaven and hell is not acceptable to the Buddhist concept. "

Anyways.. he never taught about the 18 levels of hell etc...

Its only when the religion/cult came over to china that it mixed with existing chinese methology ( 18 levels of hell, other dieties/gods etc )

chinese buddhish monks are interesting.. They meditate out of this book and repeat the contents over and over without knowing what is actually written in the book. In chinese they call it the "Jing" ..

Anyways... Whenever I ask them a tough question about life the universe etc their answer is always fall back to -> "meditate on the Jing"...

hmmmm what an idea... I think im going to sit outside under my pine tree and with mindful meditation figure out the answers to the universe and start my own cult.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KaiWang
"The Buddha was born Siddhartha Gautama, a prince of the Sakya tribe of Nepal, in approximately 566 BC. When he was twentynine years old, he left the comforts of his home to seek the meaning of the suffering he saw around him. After six years of arduous yogic training, he abandoned the way of self-mortification and instead sat in mindful meditation beneath a bodhi tree.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:29 AM

ok, finally see the movie, but I have to say that I am not very impressed. I know it is very artistically done, however, this contents of the movie don't quite go with the title, it's about Jesus's passion, why doesn't mel gibson make it so the movie is about Jesus's whole life? I have to go back and read the bible again, but I don't remember there is this much detail about how Jesus died. Somehow, this movie feels like an extended version of the "brave heart"'s torture scene. Look at the movies made by mel gibson: "brave heart", "patriot", you kinda see where this is coming from.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read the entire thread but to answer your question about the movie........

I didn't enjoy it.

You can't glorify the death of Christ without Glorifying the LIFE of Christ.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To date still the one movie that is hardest to watch without feeling something. No mortal man can endure that torture and still stand after. You would think they can see that back then.

Just got the blu-ray version.