Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Ex Machina

Old 07-27-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Ex Machina

Once I heard about Ex Machina on Howard Stern, I knew I had to see it. Much like the Matrix in 1999, this advances the sci fi genre to another realm. Sure, we've seen artificial intelligence themes before, but not like this. Nothing is at face value in this film. I immediately thought about Blade Runner watching Ex Machina.

The movie takes place in a near future and deals with some pretty complex themes. Sure, you can look at it from one perspective- and its quite obvious with the tension that builds from the beginning. But it is far more than that. This film is spectacularly filmed, edited, and acted. I expect this film will be nominated for cinematography at the very least. It is not a fast paced movie, but I it drew me in and I wanted to see more.

It ends with a scary view of the future- or the possible future.

Ex Machina needs to be mentioned amongst other excellent AI themed movies like The Terminator series, The Matrix, the aformentioned Blade Runner. Will Smith's AI was stupid and will never be mentioned again. Ex Machina, like I said, is, different. Good different. Am I making sense?

I love stuff like this but I still haven't got this film figured out. Its worth the investment in time, but its slow pace is not for everyone.

I give it a solid 8/10- but your mileage may vary.

darcy
Old 07-28-2015, 05:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope to watch it once on DVD. Looked interesting but didn't get to the theaters to see it.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I just watched it last weekend. Id say your review is a accurate one. I enjoyed the movie very much. It is not an action film that's for sure, but its not meant to be. There is other factors at play here that make it great which have been mentioned. I thought the underlying tension and suspense through much of the movie was provoking. I wish I would have seen it at home on my 106" theater projection screen rather then my Dads old 40" LCD though Will probably give it another go in my theater.

7.5/10 for me.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it on DVD over the weekend...not a bad movie. Based on the posts, I was keenly watching to try to catch any clues to see if there was something that would happen other than what I initially predicted when I started watching...but wasn't really surprised by anything. It was a great philosophical movie...really makes you think about not just AI but a lot about humans in general (the discussion about choice of sexuality was great).

Overall a good movie...7/10 for me.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't say I enjoyed this at all, probably 45 min too long, excellent sets and special cgi effects, poorly written script...a direct rip off of Shakespear I suspect... with a modern twist. I found it a chore to sit through all of it. This film has style, a nice setup, but I found all the characters to be emotionally unlikable with every word they speak. Sorry, it seems like we saw two different movies. 1 outta 10 for being shot in a cool Scandinavian country with a great home in the woods.