Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Hotel Rwanda

Old 02-01-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hotel Rwanda

This movie is amazing, and Don Cheadle (sp?) was great in the role. Not once did he slip his accent and sound American, and not once did you not believe he was the man he was portraying.

If you have a small theater in your city or if there is a chain playing this film, I highly suggest you go see it, after you read up about the Rwanda genocides and know what you are getting into.

Its a film and as such you should see it as entertainment, and not as a history lesson. But the facts portrayed in it are correct, and I dont care how Gun-ho American you are, you have to feel a bit of shame when we (as well as every other country) pull out.

Also, and I cant believe I am about to say this, Nick Nolte did a terrific job as well. He sold his character and his on line about why the rest of the world doesn't care, and isn't coming is powerful. (you know what I am talking about if you see it, or have seen it).

Another note, you may really want to read something before hand about what happened there. Not just to prepare yourself for what happened, but so you know a little background of what their talking about. At some points its tough to understand because of their accents.

All in all this is one of the reasons we still call it Film, and not just "the movies."
Old 02-02-2005, 02:24 AM

I want to go see this sometime soon!

Looks like a great movie!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:54 AM

FILM! NOT MOVIE!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:41 AM

Received 1,144 Likes on 1,065 Posts

I too would like to see this. I'm always interested in Hollywood's version of history.
I agree that before seeing this, you should try to acquaint yourself with what really happened - and especially that you should treat this film as entertainment and not a history lesson. I think that's a good general rule to follow when watching any film that attempts to chronicle history.