Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Pacific Rim Trailer!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Pacific Rim yesterday. Went with 14 Y.O. and 8 Y.O. the youngest, my son said "Best movie I ever seen." My teen nephew said "From a 1 to 10 I give it a 10 1/2!" It in my opinion was a great reinvention of Godzilla meets Power Rangers type of movie with a touch of nerdy comedy. So far the best movie I have seen this summer. Its also one of those movies where you should not leave until after the first set of credits roll.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

ugh that makes me want to see even more now

Old 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM

Just go see it! It was good! FYI, there is also Pacific Rim the game for download on Xbox live. Free trial.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

2 words: F#$%#& awesome. I've been waiting for this movie ever since I found out about it last summer. Saw it on Thursday in IMAX 3D. As stated earlier, if you were into godzilla, power rangers, etc as a kid, you will thoroughly enjoy this flick, as did I.

Probably one of the most emotional (and longest) intros to a movie I've seen, which isnt a bad thing here. CGI was flippin' awesome as well. I just wish that more of the robot v monster fights were during the day. However, the night fights do add to the mystique of the kaiju and jaegers.

Character development wasn't the greatest, but it was just enough to care about the actors. Besides, who needs character development when you have giant robots and monsters going at it! My only gripe about the characters was that Ron Pearlman wasn't used as much as he should have been.

Will this movie win any academy awards? Probably not (other than special effects, which were top notch). But this movie, from the start, was probably never meant to win any huge awards. All that you need to know is that this movie is a great popcorn/summer blockbuster flick. If you want to have the imagination of a 7 year old kid again, WATCH THIS MOVIE.

9/10 easily for me. Now time to wait for Godzilla 2014.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 PM

I couldn't agree more with Ruiner831. I am almost tempted to see it again in 3D.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 PM
Gatsbee13

cant wait to see this!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

yes character development and story were a bit lacking, which is why some critics gave it a hard time, but audiences are loving it because it's delivering what we all thought it would: an awesome monster vs. giant robot movie!!

It was meant to be an homage to the old giant monster movies of old Japanese cinema, like Godzilla, and Anime giant robot movies as well. Most non-anime followers would see it as similar to Power Rangers (which it is too), but if you follow anime, you have undoubtedly watched Neon Genesis Evangelion and i was pleasantly surprised at how much Del Toro took from that series. (For those that haven't seen Neon Genesis but enjoyed this movie, go watch at least the first 3 episodes and you'll see ALL of the similarities.)

I knew he was doing homages to these genres but didn't know exactly how much he had taken. He obviously didn't copy it exactly, but there were so many references...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________
**spoiler alert**

Spoiler

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Although there was many similarities between Neon Genesis Evangelion and Pacific Rim, i'm glad Del Toro left out all of the Religious undertone of Neon Genesis!!!!

I thought it was awesome when he threw in classic anime/Gundam/Evangelion scenes where the primary gun either malfunctions or runs out of ammo, so they have to turn to a sword!!!! that made a tear come to my eye from how beautiful it was! the way Gypsy Danger's sword assembles itself is very similar to a Gundam whip/sword.

Overall it was a great monster vs. giant robot movie. Highly recommended, especially if you love Anime. It was beautifully done--graphics look amazing. i concur that i wish more scenes were done in daylight as opposed to a rainy nighttime setting. The few daytime kaiju fight scenes that there were, looked amazing. But i'm glad it was a hugely faithful homage to the genre. While it did have plenty of references to Neon Genesis, i didn't really find it trying to be a cheap rip-off. I think Del Toro did a great job of making it it's own stand alone movie. He also did a great job of mixing American elements while keeping it's Asian roots largely intertwined in the movie. If we would have had any different director on this, it would have been 100% set in America like that lame Godzilla remake in New York.

from me!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

I was super pumped for this movie, until...

**spoiler alert**

Spoiler

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

If you haven't seen the movie I definitely think it's worth a watch.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 AM

If you haven't seen the movie yet, here is a sneak peak. Go Seattle!

http://www.komonews.com/home/video/I...215586011.html
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by screamn7
If you haven't seen the movie yet, here is a sneak peak. Go Seattle!

http://www.komonews.com/home/video/I...215586011.html
i vote for a second

Quick Reply: Pacific Rim Trailer!