Dinner and a Movie Discuss your favorite movies foods, restaurants and recipies.

Red Wine

Old 02-28-2002, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Wine

I"m just wondering what is a good bottle of red wine that is $50 and under?
Old 02-28-2002, 03:53 PM

The mind boggles at the possibilities, but I think more info is needed...

There are MANY fine wines that are way below $50. I know Bernie is going to chime in here shortly with some of his favs, but give us an idea of what you like.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:23 PM

Personally I find the $50.00 price mark to be somewhat in limbo. By that I mean you can spend as little as $20 - $30 and get equally good quality as most $50 vintages, but you have to spend considerably more than $50 to get a superior vintage, say $80+.

Of course, the tastes of wine are HIGHLY subjective. My buddie that ownes the largest retail wine business in this part of the state constantly makes recommendations for what he considers to be great values. I've learned the hard way that I NEVER like his recommendations! To each his or her own.

BTW, Beaugoles are generally inexpensive (<$12) and are considered a great value!
Old 03-03-2002, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by MyBad

BTW, Beaugoles are generally inexpensive (<$12) and are considered a great value!
Hehe, beaujolais...

yummy, a light, red wine, only offered in the fall... if you want to try this, go out and get it now!
Old 03-03-2002, 09:25 PM

Actually, Beaujolais Nouveau is what I think you are referring to.

AT ONE MINUTE PAST MIDNIGHT on the third Thursday of each November, from little villages and towns over a million cases of Beaujolais Nouveau begin their journey through a sleeping France to Paris for immediate shipment to all parts of the world. Banners proclaim the good news: Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arriv
Old 03-03-2002, 11:54 PM

My wife made Calzone tonight and we had a bottle of Ruffino 1997 Ducale Chianti Classico with the meal. In fact, she went to bed and I'm finishing the last of it with a plate of fruit.

Nothing compliments an Italian dish like an Italian wine, and this one is very good at a price around $25-30US.

http://www.wine.com/product/display.asp?PP...D=SWC12780_1997
Old 03-04-2002, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by MajorHavoc
Actually, Beaujolais Nouveau is what I think you are referring to.
You're right, I was just correcting the spelling and didn't finish the thought! Interesting story though; I didn't know the specifics or that there was a ceremonial side to this particular wine. Fascinating!
Old 03-04-2002, 11:10 AM

Have you tried Santa Margharrita ? Oh mama
Old 03-04-2002, 11:28 AM
Sly

Originally posted by MyBad

IMHO the Beaujolais Nouveau is a great marketing gimmick. Make an event out of it and clear out your inventory 2 months after the harvest. Great way to save on cellaring and get your investment back quickly. And I also think they are overpriced...

A better choice would be the other wines from Beaujolais. Appelations such as Chiroubles, Juli
Old 03-04-2002, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sly
[B]

IMHO the Beaujolais Nouveau is a great marketing gimmick. Make an event out of it and clear out your inventory 2 months after the harvest. Great wave to save on cellaring and get your investment back quickly. And I also think they are overpriced...

A better choice would be the other wines from Beaujolais. Appelations such as Chiroubles, Juli

Quick Reply: Red Wine