Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Dash cam recommendations?

Old 06-28-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously, the Z edge S3 is my favorite.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I have this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075S7W6FR/

Its a much cheaper price than most with dual 1080p cameras, that work decent at night.

Here's a clip of lightening! No editing or enhancement.

Here's a full video clip:

At the price point, its not a terrible idea to outfit all 4 of my cars with them. $130 (dual camera kit) + $40 (128GB card) + $16 (black mounting tape) + $20 (GPS attachment) = $206
Old 07-18-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll one up the BlackVue products as well, quality, app and functionality are top notch. Downside is cost. Got mine off craigslist sealed in box, so was happy to find that! Good luck.

DIY Install <-- if you want to see video / install
Old 07-30-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I use two GoPro Hero 3 and 3+ that were bought for and used for my EuroTrashTour bicycling trips in the Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites, Verdugo's, Rockies, etc.

I've used the old Contour before they went out of business and still use one for my rear view mounted to my passenger seat hoop with it's strap but the GoPro has a significantly better picture. I've got a TON of Dragon video from this spring and just got back from the Alps & Dolomites but haven't edited anything yet. Crappy mount this time, couldn't put a mount under the handlebars so way too much movement but you can get a good idea of why people think I'm totally nuts with these descents:
All of these are zero editing:

A couple from the Back of the Dragon this spring:

You can also use the WiFi app on your phone to see/control/set the GoPro which is really nice since they have no view screen. The audio sucks unless you run a dedicated mic complicating everything. Powering is also a problem.

The advantage of the purpose built dash cams is continuous recording and saving data/evidence if there is an accident but you'll probably give up picture quality.

I might invest in that amazon recommended camera above, have had some cheap ones and they don't hold up, would love to have a permanent loop recording going with no attention but don't trust any to last long enough to be worth it, car is harsh environment.