Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

Lunch Plans have changed and oh, Tapoco Lodge #@$%

Old 08-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lunch Plans have changed and oh, Tapoco Lodge #@$%

Well, Friday morning, as I drive into work, I receive a phone call on my cell and it's from the Tapoco Lodge. Diane (or Donna), the owner's daughter, begins to tell me over the phone:

"Raul, I just wanted you to know that we will not be able to serve your group on September 11th. We have another group of 50 people that has just confirmed for the same date. We simply can't serve your group. I just wanted you to know so you are able to make other plans."

And, seriously, it went down...just like *that*! No, "Good Morning," or "Hi, how are ya?" Just right into the meat of it. Truly unprofessional. Sure, you own your own business and all, whatever, try treating people with respect. Realize that I am responsible for the lunch of 80+ people and don't turn away my business.

So, I said to her, "You mean to tell me that *you* have cancelled a group of 80 for a group of 50 when my group was already CONFIRMED last week." And she said, "Yes, this group has no problem paying the prices in our menu."

Unreal. They have no "problem" paying? Well, I don't either, but I surely don't have the budget of $9.50 for a sandwich (Club style), chips and a drink! $9.50 was the original price she quoted me for the group. Do you knwo what kind of lunch spread I could get for $9.50 per person??? Seriously, and with 80 people, I surely thought we could get more than enough with our budget of $7.50 per person. She would not give me ANY break at first and charged me full price on ALL items, PLUS she added 15% gratuity and 7% sales tax.

Now, last week, all of this was confirmed with the Tapoco Lodge. I was able to get the choices of sandwiches down and we set the price at our budget of $7.50. The $7.50 per person rate was inclusive of tax, gratuity and offered a various selection of sandwiches (Roast Beef, Turkey, Ham, Tuna, etc.) plus chips and a drink. Not only did we *CONFIRM* this via telephone, I actually typed up a letter with "S2000" letterhead and sent a copy directly to the Tapoco Lodge.

Now this crap. And to think that I was actually going to host the Spring annual "Wake the Dragon" event at the Tapoco Lodge. That's out now and other plans are in the "works" for our lunch and our Spring event. I'll see if I can make arrangements with the owner of Deal's Gap (the Dragon Grill) or with Tim at Subway. If Tim agrees to meet us at Fontana with the food (Subway) and serve it, then that may be the ticket (eerrr, I mean way).

So, I just wanted to share. It really pisses me off and I think folks within our S2000 community should know this. It's simply a shame and not good business.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:31 PM

Boooooooo Thanks for taking care of all of this kind of CRAP ahead of time for us!
Old 08-23-2004, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Airgate you are a true CLASS ACT ! I would have showed my ass big time

I'm glad we are on your team
Old 08-23-2004, 07:54 AM

I can't believe she did not even give you a little "fluffy whip" before she bent you over.

I never liked that place anyway.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:41 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

to the Tapoco lodge. Booo on them for their unprofessionalism.

Another suggestion, if your looking for one, last time I was in Robbinsville there was a BBQ place that was pretty good. Maybe they would cater the event at Fontana Dam.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The tough thing for Raul at this point is that time is against us for finding an alternative.

Raul, I left you a v-mail a few moments ago, but it was basically suggesting this: Why not just use a "meal voucher" with The Dragon Grill? If the registration covers an all-inclusive meal up to $7.50...that would fit perfectly at the Grill. Any amount over $7.50 (which would be hard to believe) would be covered by the individual S2000 owner that placed a meal order over and above $7.50. And its already *on* The Dragon. I ate there during the recent McDragon non-event and the food was just fine! And it was quick! And I could get right back on The Dragon again! .

Just a thought...but perhaps you could place a meal voucher with each event packet, work out a deal with The Dragon Grill, and then settle up with the Grill after-the-fact. Or you could just pre-pay the Grill for all registered members? Dunno...like I said, this is just a thought.

- Dave
Old 08-23-2004, 01:05 PM

I could swear there was another thread suggesting another food location which was declined b/c airgate had already locked-in Tapoco...

If i could only find those posts!
Old 08-23-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

big to the Topeka Lodge for their business ethics, but oh well....big big to Airgate for handling all of these details for us...this will be my first Dragon and I'm sure it will be a blast...thanx again Airgate.

-tim
Old 08-23-2004, 02:17 PM

This is crap.
Raul, go ahead and make reservations with the Tapoco for the Spring run (tell them you need every room they have) . . . . . and cancel at the last minute. It's only fair to play by their rules.
Perhaps the owners of the Dragon grill would be interested in competing with what Subway can offer.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had considered staying there next spring too regardless of where the HQ was going to be for WTD05

..but not now brother!!! Airgate ;you lead and we'll follow

Quick Reply: Lunch Plans have changed and oh, Tapoco Lodge #@$%