Engine Swaps Discussion of alternate engine swaps into the S2000 other than F20/22. K24, 2JZ, V6, V8 etc...

Why don't more people go J-series? What am I missing?

Old 11-15-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was about to say that Chase hasn't had any troubles that I know of out of his J-swap and he tracks it constantly... except he just swapped his motor out last weekend after finding metal shavings in his oil. So I dunno.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DragonSi
I don't think you're missing anything. This is something I plan on doing. I think the reason so many members seem reluctant to support the swap, is mainly because they have perfectly healthy F-series engines in their car and don't see why one would want to mess with that. The only thing that drawback with this swap would be emissions compliance, the obd2 port won't be functional, since you'll need to go with a standalone for the swap, according to InlinePro. And you'll need to get a lower final drive ratio.
You don't need standalone if you go J35a8 like I plan on doing. It's from the TL Type-S and has flashpro available. With that, you can disable the immobilzer which is the biggest problem with other models.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So much mis-information and speculation here.

I haven't done a J swap myself, but have been researching it for months now (Chris Dornon's, Andy Divers', Chase's, InlinePro's kit, Sector One Design, etc.)

Here's why I haven't done it:

(1) Top Reason: A/C support. I am probably mistaken, but I believe Chris and Chase were the only two to keep A/C. It's time consuming fabing custom lines, and I need A/C for Louisiana summers.
(2) Lack of an OBD II compatible ECU. My car is *currently* registered in NC... and they LOVE emissions testing. I'm looking to get it registered in FL.
(3) Headers (cost and brake lines). Custom headers cost, but more importantly, the driver side headers end up right beside your brake lines. Now you're budgeting more time to custom fab brake lines or bank on "shielding" them.
EDIT: Oh yeah! I was thinking about getting headers from the Superfast Miatas JV6 kit and modding them for the S2000. They are restrictive, but offer some cost savings.
(4) Cost (time fabbing or money buying) for conversion kit. InlinePro makes a kit. I think it's ~1,800. This does *not* include their water pipe re-routing or having them notch the oil pan for the starter. All in all, I would expect to pay ~3000 for all of the parts to include a harness from RPM Systems or API.

So here's my list (guessing off the top of my head):
~1,000 for headers
~1,800 for adapter plate, clutch spacer, and engine mounts
~800 for the water pipes and notched oil pan
~400-500 for the harness
~1,000 for the ECU
~500 for a new clutch
~500-1,000 for a used to re-furb'd J35a4
~100 for an RPM adapter

Money isn't always the issue. For me it's time spent fabbing or locating someone who can. I am mostly worried about A/C and brake lines. I am still trying to determine if S2000 A/C lines can mate to the J's compressor. Brake lines I would shield since I don't see many track days.

All in all, if you sell the F series for 3,000, you're spending less than a cheap S/C kit and getting closer to that performance. If....

Last edited by DaVinci; 11-18-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by DaVinci

So here's my list (guessing off the top of my head):
~1,000 for headers
~1,800 for adapter plate, clutch spacer, and engine mounts
~800 for the water pipes and notched oil pan
~400-500 for the harnessers (cost and brake lines).
~1,000 for the ECU
~500 for a new clutch
~500-1,000 for a used to re-furb'd J35a4
~100 for an RPM adapter
I'm planning to go j35a8 so some of this doesn't apply. The ecu is flashpro capable so I could just trade my s2000 Flashpro for one. The exhaust pathways are cast into the block, so there are no headers on J35. I can use aftermaket precat delets and just have it fabbed down to my s2000 exhaust. Clutch I don't consider project cost since I'm coming up on needing one anyway.

Your cost for adapter, spacers, etc is high. InlinePro adapter is $595, flywheel spacer is $199, and starter spacer is $129. So unless their mounts are $1000...

Harnesses and brake lines? All the engines I've looked at come with the harness. Not sure what you mean about brake lines since that is an independent system.

PS - I'm pretty sure V6Donut's headers were over $2k, but again he has a J32.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MemphiS2k
I'm planning to go j35a8 so some of this doesn't apply. The ecu is flashpro capable so I could just trade my s2000 Flashpro for one. The exhaust pathways are cast into the block, so there are no headers on J35. I can use aftermaket precat delets and just have it fabbed down to my s2000 exhaust. Clutch I don't consider project cost since I'm coming up on needing one anyway.

Your cost for adapter, spacers, etc is high. InlinePro adapter is $595, flywheel spacer is $199, and starter spacer is $129. So unless their mounts are $1000...

Harnesses and brake lines? All the engines I've looked at come with the harness. Not sure what you mean about brake lines since that is an independent system.

PS - I'm pretty sure V6Donut's headers were over $2k, but again he has a J32.
I understand *your* budget and perspective, but you asked why *other people* don't J swap. Not everyone is driving a DBW S2000 that already needs a clutch. I am happy you can justify it, but for those of us with healthy 2000-05 cars, we have to buy more chocolate for our wives.

... you seemed to be less concerned about why others don't want to do it and more concerned with making sure you aren't off your rocker before you do this... the S2Ki response will always be "SWAP!"

InlinePro may have dropped prices. For the plate, spaces, and mounts, I was quoted $1795 on the phone. Another guy payed that same amount.

If you can use a J35a8 ECU, you might be able to run a 100% stock harness aside from adapters for the gauge cluster. Don at RPM Systems has done a lot of work with the APP sensor for the DBW J engines.

Brake fluid lines, not the vacuum lines. The fluid lines *under the car* will be close to the left header unless you route the header around or under the oil pan. Otherwise, you will have some really low exhaust pipes.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

$3000 to swap to an Accord engine.

lol.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
$3000 to swap to an Accord engine.

lol.
If a toaster over was faster, I'd swap my engine for it. What a stupid argument. Also, the J-series is a huge engine line. That's like equating the Accord K24 is the same as the Civic Type-R K20C1.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:49 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

OMG.....wait until you see the Vibrant Performance J-swap!!!!
Old 12-08-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Luder94
OMG.....wait until you see the Vibrant Performance J-swap!!!!
No link?

Last edited by MemphiS2k; 12-08-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 AM

View this post on Instagram

Quick Reply: Why don't more people go J-series? What am I missing?