Euromeet 2009 - 10th Anniversary Archive from this legendary meet!

I was in the euromeet region last week

Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 AM
BVE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I was in the euromeet region last week

I REALLY hate not being able to be there...

did a nice week in Italy last week (Rome, Florence mainly) and on the way back my girlfriend wanted to have a drive on some mountain roads (me driving, her enjoying the scenery)...

we drove around the area where the meet will be held (well, actually a little more north) and that's going to be great with the amount of s2k's going!

The natives won't know what hit 'em though... Going through Cortina d'Ampezzo top down between 2meter high snow walls makes for VERY bewildered looking people there

Have fun people!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds as though you had a super trip!

I'm sure that those attending the Euromeet would be interested to know if you had to use snow tyres, snow socks or snow chains, to get around in those sort of weather conditions?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:22 AM
LTB

Sounds like you had a great time and I can vouch for the condition of the roads, they are excellent.

So as not to panic people, Cortina d'Ampezzo is over 150 Kms away from where we will be based and at a much higher altitude, plus we still have over 1 month to go until the meet.

Even so, it sounds like you had no issued navigating the snow which was the same experience I had on the Austrian/Italian border in January. The authorities are expert in keeping the roads clear and open.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 AM
BVE

I had one near-death experience, but that was because the navigation sent us over some.. less-public roads

but the normal roads are VERY driveable.. the only 'danger' at the moment is the melting snow: water running over the roads giving constant changing conditions (dry/wet)
But an s2000 driver is a cautious driver anyway right?

I was on snow tires, but snow chains etc are not needed, but should you be caught in a snowstorm it could cost you a fine and the obligation to buy a set at ridiculous prices... but don't worry about that in 5/6 weeks time... it should be a non-issue by then!
The only thing that is importantis the law of having winter tires...? I'm not sure if Italy forces it, but countries like switzerland, germany and austria have a law about them (until just after the euromeet I was told)

And the distance: true, but still... it's a fair bit further in the right direction than where we are now

But people should leave the hardtops at home!!!
Like I said, we drove top down already!

you guys should just do what you always do and have an awesome time there!
Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by BVE,Mar 2 2009, 02:35 PM
I REALLY hate not being able to be there...
too bad you didn't schedule that about 1 month later..!
Old 03-02-2009, 01:18 PM
BVE

hehe... not really... more to life than cars you know...
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 PM

I know - I kinda think the same.
However this could really turn-out a once in a lifetime event.
Anyway thanks for sharing!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by BVE,Mar 2 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure if Italy forces it, but countries like switzerland, germany and austria have a law about them (until just after the euromeet I was told)
Actually it's more a guideline than an exact (calendar based) set of rules.

In germany it's depending on the condition of the roads, but this definition is fuzzy itself..

What is clear is that if you have an accident in germany and the road is snowy/icy (as reported in the police report) and you don't have winter tires (snow chains are generally forbidden) then you will get fined, towed and the insurance will not cover any damage (it does not matter whether your car is registered in germany or not). Additionally you will always be the guilty in case of accident (the fact that you car is not road legal prevails to other considerations)

But do not panic... April should not be a problem (if you stay on the main roads). I drive in germany and I am driving summer tires now.

@edit: I checked the Austrian laws.. and the laws changed in the last year. It's mandatory to drive with 4 snow wheels from 1 November to 15 April (weather conditions do not matter)
Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 AM
cmn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deibit,Mar 3 2009, 02:30 AM
@edit: I checked the Austrian laws.. and the laws changed in the last year. It's mandatory to drive with 4 snow wheels from 1 November to 15 April (weather conditions do not matter)
Do you have any idea what will happen if you are stopped by the police with summer tires on the way to Euromeet or something? I am NOT driving all the way down there on winter tires... Then I'll rather take another way around Austria. (Btw, are you sure that it's not like in Norway, where you are allowed to used studded tires in that period of time, but forbidden to use them in between? Here you can drive on summer tires all the year if conditions allow it, even though it's not many places here that it's possible.)
Old 03-04-2009, 03:14 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

This might help.

http://www.austriantimes.at/index.php?id=9068

Clearly there are implications for those travelling through Austria to the meet as the ruling is valid until 15th April. Although this article does clearly state that winter tyres are only compulsorywhen there are winter driving conditions. it does not say they are mandatory for all conditions.

This also seems to suggest the same (direct from the horses mouth as it were) :

http://www.bmvit.gv.at/en/verkehr/roads/tyres.html

I would suggest close monitoring of the weather conditions en route...

Quick Reply: I was in the euromeet region last week