Florida S2000 Owners Florida S2000 Enthusiasts

C'mon Guys! Feedback from the Chinmotorsport and Speed Ventures events!

Old 03-31-2003, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a busy weekend with Two track events run this past weekend at the same time, Please post your thoughts, Video, Pics etc... of Moroso (Chinmotorsports) or Sebring (Speed Ventures)
I am curious how they went, I was helping run the Chin event and our car is still in the shop so I have to live vicariously through you guys! Jvils was kicking butt at Moroso as was FlaKeyPete - I heard Key Pete had a "Agricultural Excursion" at Moroso and fortunately did no damage!
Nick
Old 03-31-2003, 06:49 AM

Thanks Nick. CMS was great, as always. Bit of carnage (as KeithD put it) with several spins, offs, a couple of damaged cars, and an unfortunate mechanical that caused a crash and an injury at the entry to T9. Blown left rear (I think); I heard the rotor shattered and smashed thru the spokes of the rim.

I ran several laps in the 1:57 to 2:00 range (according to the video timer). Not sure if that's good or not, but for street tires, I thought I did OK. My brakes held up well with the upgrades (sig); I was really getting on them, and no hint of fade. A Ferrari race team showed up with a 360 and 575. Oh, yeah; jwh2 came by, and I gave him a couple rides. J, if your freind can post any of the video he has of us, I'd love to see it!

I have lots of video, but nowhere to host it. I took about 1 minute worth of cars going thru T10, and lots of in-car stuff. And the Spugen Single sounds AWSOME at the track. I got lots of compliments on it.

Here's an in-car going thru T10 onto the front straigt (about 60mph).
Old 03-31-2003, 06:54 AM

Well, I spoke to you and Jvils, already but I'll give a synopsis for everyone else.

Speedventures was great. As this was their first event here, turnout was a little light, but the benefit was we got a TON of track time. I ran 100 miles on the track and could have done a lot more, however cooked my front brake pads by 3pm in the afternoon Saturday. After I changed them I was pretty tired! I only went out for a couple more laps after that. The only S2000 guys there with their cars were Me, CoralDoc, and Airsport. There were also quite a few Vettes and 350Zs (these Z guys were all VERY cool), and on Sunday the guys with the Lotus Elise and Exige showed up. Everyone was very friendly and nice. A great group in general. I only participated on Saturday.

Overall the Speedventures event was well run, all the safety aspects were there, and we had no incidents whatsoever. One of the neat things about the Speedventures event versus the Chin events was that that transponders were available for the participants so you could check your lap times. I think these are a double edged sword though. They could encourage less-experienced folk to push their cars too hard and get into trouble for the sake of improving times, but for people with a little more restraint they can be a very useful tool.

I think that anyone who is into the track events is well served by attending either groups events. Essentially they are offering the same experience, but each has its own rules and ways of doing things. I think each group could learn a little from one another, to improve their respective products.

All in all I was glad I attended and it was great to finally meet Rylan (Krazik) and Aaron. Not to mention our dinner at the Watering Hole was interesting to say the least. Too bad no one got to feed the 14ft alligator!
Old 03-31-2003, 06:56 AM

Oh, Scott (airsport) should be putting up videos soon. We have an interesting set of two videos, where I'm following Josh, and Scott is following me.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good summary Keith. I had a lot of fun too, and Scott now holds the "World Record" Sebring lap time in an S2000 - 2:38.xxx!! For comparison, the fastest Spec Miata qualifying times at a recent SCCA race was 2:41.1. He had fastest time of the day on Saturday and was edged out by the 996 turbo on Sunday.

Many thanks to Aaron and Rylan of Speed Ventures for hosting this event!

Yes, the video is very interesting . Mitch - you'll want to see it

Looking forward to seeing everyone back at Sebring in 3 weeks!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:20 AM

Thanks guys, Wish I could have been with you!!!! I love Sebring and hope to be running it next month at the Chin event!
Scott,
Congrats on the great times! I am sure Scott has a video of a fast lap !!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 09:36 AM

Scotts a madman. He really does well out there. So Scott, is it top up running from now on to reduce drag???
Old 03-31-2003, 12:31 PM

2:38?!? Jeez, I was running like 2:55 to 3:05, but that was my first time on a track. Sounds like Scott is building his rep for DoomCam...
Old 03-31-2003, 01:10 PM

Did any of the S2000 group have any troubles, like engine or damage from hitting something? I'd like to try doing one of these runs, but I'm worried about what I'd do to my car. What are the closest tracks to Tampa?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-31-2003, 01:17 PM

No S2000 issues. Closest is Sebring...

Quick Reply: C'mon Guys! Feedback from the Chinmotorsport and Speed Ventures events!