Georgia S2000 Owners For owners from Georgia

Travelling Advice in Savannah

Old 05-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Travelling Advice in Savannah

I'm going to be visiting Savannah next month and was looking for some recommendations on places to eat/visit while I'm out there. I've seen tons of stuff in terms of tourism packages, but, I'd like to find out what locals would recommend.

I will be staying here:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/savd...toric-district/

Just trying to get some advice/opinions on places to go.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-04-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hilton is nice but very expensive. Wet Willies is also a nice place to grab a drink on River St.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Former Moderator

Gotcha.. I saw a Marriott on the river as well....

I'll have to check out Wet Willies

Thanks!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:32 AM

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your thread Mocky. Do you have anything in mind that you'd like to do when you come? The Marriott is on river and is a good hotel, however the Bohemian and hyatt is just a little more convenient. Not sure how much you wanted to spend but there are some fantastic Bed and Breakfasts in the area.

As far as rstaurants, I donno where to start. You name it, it's here. Steak, burgers, seafood, Mexican, Italian, celebrity owned rstaurants, etc. Give me a little more insight on food type and budget and i can narrow the choices for you. I love restaurants so I've tried a good many of them. Also Tybee Island is only about 20 min from downtown so that opens up a few more restaurants ideas.

As far as things to do downtown there are a ton of tours. I'm not a toury type person but I was very happy with a ghost tour that I did 6 months or so ago. If you want something a little a more intimate, the horse carriage tours are really good also.

If you want I can probably get a few local s2k guys together for dinner and drinks or so.

When are you coming btw??
Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ahhhh, reading about this makes me want to make another trip down. Went for the 1st time a few months back and had a blast, definitely a cool little place.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Former Moderator

Thanks for the follow-up~~!
I definitely want to check out Tybee Island.. I've heard a lot of great things (especially about food options).

Which reminds me... food wise, I'm up for anything... mainly local cuisine (if that makes sense).

I'll look into the Boehemian and Hyatt as well... not sure how much they are but I definitely don't want to break the bank...

Tentatively I'm looking at the second week of June
Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Former Moderator

West Bay St area the area to be around?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM

West Bay or East Bay is ok. (Marriott is East Bay just a little further East). Dealing with food there are literally 100's of good and goodish places and most within walking distance. Here's a link to a list of most the restaurants here.. http://savannahmenu.com/restaurant_finder

There's an icon that say "location" at the top of the list just click on downtown or tybee and it'll give you all the restaurants in the area.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Former Moderator

Gotcha..

Been looking at hotel pricing and parking.. .is it better to stay somewhere outside the historical district and take public transportation to the area? Just thinking through some options... the $25 a day to park kinda sucks.. lol
Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM

always cheaper to do that... What days are you going to be staying? Parking downtown is free at night and on the weekends. The hotels use city private garages and charge accordingly. The Hyatt and mariott has there own do they charge as well?

Quick Reply: Travelling Advice in Savannah