Hard at Work Mid-A Off-topic Playground.

%!&#*377st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%

Old 04-14-2016, 05:00 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

omg a
Old 04-14-2016, 05:06 AM

Received 681 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak' timestamp='1460560045' post='23936852
So, I'm working on making a DXF of the firepit this week. i'll send it over to my buddy who has a laser cutter that can do the job quick and clean. I'll get a quote from him and see what everything will be. I'll need to get a prototype made and make sure all of my "guessed" dimensions makes sense. I know all of the out dimensions because... geometry, but i'm going to be guessing on some of the slots... I'll need to spend some time in CAD and really work out how they go together. then i can make a flat patter DXF for the laser to be able to cut it up.
That's pretty darn awesome. I'd love to learn how to use CAD software and make some neat stuff. Any way I can convince you to make me some brake ducts for the S like these?

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-Upgrades.aspx

There's so much pent up demand for these that if you made them I'm sure you could retire with all the money you make from selling them.

In all seriousness though that'd be pretty darn awesome if you could replicate that firepit. I don't have a place for it but I'd buy it because it's damn cool!

PROBABLY could, but its been too long since i've used CAD (6 years) basic shit is easy still, but the complex sweeps and lack of some critical dimensions would make it difficult. I really need to take a refresher course on solidworks or CREO.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:10 AM

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by WhrDLMI
I noticed something this morning... I am not driving to work in total pitch darkness anymore. The light is just starting to creep over the horizon as I roll down the FFCP.
Rollin in my 2.0?

Crap, that's right you got the inferior model.

Rollin in my 2.2?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:11 AM

Humm... According to the Goog, sunrise on Monday, June 20th will be at 5:45 am. I guess I didn't realize that sunrise was ever actually that early.
And it will keep getting earlier until 06-22, at which point we will have the longest day in the northern hemisphere.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:11 AM

Received 2,264 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by tacocat
Originally Posted by WhrDLMI' timestamp='1460630370' post='23937734
I noticed something this morning... I am not driving to work in total pitch darkness anymore. The light is just starting to creep over the horizon as I roll down the FFCP.
Rollin in my 2.0?

Crap, that's right you got the inferior model.

Rollin in my 2.2?
ragtop down so my hair can blow
Old 04-14-2016, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Roflcopter
ragtop down so my hair can blow
Yeah, I tend to omit that line. I use:
ragtop down so with a bowl of colon blow.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:13 AM

Dan--"right in the eyehole!"

https://www.nhl.com/news/henrik-lund...?tid=280160686

Will any goalie survive that series?
Old 04-14-2016, 05:15 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak
PROBABLY could, but its been too long since i've used CAD (6 years) basic shit is easy still, but the complex sweeps and lack of some critical dimensions would make it difficult. I really need to take a refresher course on solidworks or CREO.
Ya gotcha.. I imagine the big problem like you said is a 3D object with curves/etc without exact dimensions and angles would be very tricky (even with the dimensions it could be tricky). I mock up simple stuff with sketchup, but making something that actually works and in CAD software is something else entirely.

Have you heard of Tech Shop? This seems like an awesome place if you're an engineer or have an engineering background and want to make stuff. They have a shop in Arlington where you pay a monthly membership fee and can use all sorts of expensive equipment. I know Dave (yeaitsahonda) powdercoated his rollbar there. Looks like a cool place, just don't have the time these days. http://www.techshop.ws/ Is there anyplace you'd recommend for trying to learn CAD software? I guess it's probably not too simple a task and probably takes a serious investment in time.

Going off on a tangent, I wonder if/when 3d scanners will be able to be used in the future to map out an area/object in 3d space. Something like using an xbox kinect to generate a 3d object. I'm sure it'll happen sooner than later, it'd be awesome for replicating parts or even designing parts around things.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4,658 Likes on 3,345 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak' timestamp='1460560045' post='23936852
So, I'm working on making a DXF of the firepit this week. i'll send it over to my buddy who has a laser cutter that can do the job quick and clean. I'll get a quote from him and see what everything will be. I'll need to get a prototype made and make sure all of my "guessed" dimensions makes sense. I know all of the out dimensions because... geometry, but i'm going to be guessing on some of the slots... I'll need to spend some time in CAD and really work out how they go together. then i can make a flat patter DXF for the laser to be able to cut it up.
That's pretty darn awesome. I'd love to learn how to use CAD software and make some neat stuff. Any way I can convince you to make me some brake ducts for the S like these?

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...-Upgrades.aspx

There's so much pent up demand for these that if you made them I'm sure you could retire with all the money you make from selling them.

In all seriousness though that'd be pretty darn awesome if you could replicate that firepit. I don't have a place for it but I'd buy it because it's damn cool!
Those things are AWESOME!

The tooling to make molds for those is probably cost prohibitive for such a niche item but with 3D printers getting as good as they are, you ought to be able to make money that way.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:23 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Those things are AWESOME!

The tooling to make molds for those is probably cost prohibitive for such a niche item but with 3D printers getting as good as they are, you ought to be able to make money that way.
Yep, I think you could 3d print em out of a type of ABS plastic and it should hold up. Like I mentioned above, I know tech shop http://www.techshop.ws/ has very expensive equipment you can use with a membership (I think it's $150/month?). I know they have all kinds of fancy equipment (welders/cncs/3d printers/etc) that any average joe can use. If anyone does make them I was/am serious about buying a pair, and I know there would be plenty of other folks interested as well.

Quick Reply: %!&#*377st Official Hard At Work Thread!%&#!*%