S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Possible fix for for the auto-rolldown problem

Old 06-23-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I have a MY01 and have had this problem for the last 6 months and have been waiting for a solution. i didn't want honda to fix this until a permanent and final solution was found and i didn't want some 17 yo to take apart and put back my door. anyways I was out test driving a 03 RSX and mentioned something to the salesman about this problem and asked him about it. he said yea its simple the window needs to be reset. To do this

The car has to be started!!
1. push and and hold the window button down all the way until its completly down.
2. when its completely down, let go and push it down again and hold for 2 to 3 seconds. then let go
3. now pull and roll the window up until its all the way up.
4. when its up let go
5. pull the button up again for 2 to 3 seconds.
(after step 2, he said you should be able to hear or feel the motor or something inside reset.)
6. now then your autoscroll should work correctly. Mine does now.

I think wat the problem is that most of use the little tube thingy to put inside the back rear window to prevent the window from wrinkling, and in the process of putting it down we stop the top halfway. then as we finish putting the top down something in the window mechanism screwsup and has to be resetted. I hope that this technique helps out other S2K owners, if it does I can post this the section of this website that is the frequently asked ?'s. Let me know if this solution does the trick. I was told by my honda dealer that the actuator or something like that was broken inside. now after this simple easy fix I thinks its BS. Post and let me know if this works. It did for me. Good Luck!!!

XaznX
Old 06-23-2003, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool, i will try.
thanx.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:27 AM

IT WORKED!!!

I have a MY00 that has had this problem for over a year. I just ran out to the parking lot and tried it. Here's what I did:
-Start the engine (didn't work for me until I started the engine)
-Roll the window all the way down
-Pause for 1 sec.
-Push the button down for about 2-3sec until a click is heard
-Roll it up and now it works fine!!!!

Cool

Thanks to XaznX for this awesome tip.

(EDIT)
I forgot to mention one thing: After I heard the "reset click" the window would not roll back up. I had to turn the car off and back on again, then all was well.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it really works, someone please sticky this thread...

(i haven't tried it yet...)
Old 06-24-2003, 07:10 AM

If you have a 2002 why do you put the tube in the top when you put it down?
Old 06-24-2003, 08:29 AM

oh sorry I have a MY01, my bad
glad that it worked. maybe some of the moderators can post this helpful tip in the library section of the website
Old 06-24-2003, 08:52 AM

Whatever the cause, I think the sensors just need to be reset. It worked for me, but I needed to hold the button down for about 10+ secs.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

XAZNZ- YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!

mine was broken for the past couple of years and i didnt want anyone pulling apart my car either, so i had stalled getting it fixed.
man am i glad i did-
this works!!!
when i did mine this morning, couple comments:
1. no way can i hear any clicking (all i hear is my wonderful spugen exhaust!)
2. mine froze in the up position too, so i also turned off the car- restarted it and redid the procedure.
MY BROKEN AUTO DOWN IS FIXED!

i bet that the dealers know about this and when we get our window regulators replaced all they really are doing is this reset procedure...
Old 06-24-2003, 09:51 AM

wow... I'll try that later today.

I was always skeptical of the window regulator being the cause. After all, there are people who have had the TSB done, and later the problem resurfaces. Also, this is the first Honda I've owned that has ever had a problem with the auto-down.

I always wondered if there was a way that the auto-down could be reset. I've installed aftermarket window modules for alarms, and on rare occasion, they would need to be reset.

But does anyone else find it ironic that a salesman would know the solution to the problem? (No offense to any car salespeople, but a lot seem to know very little about cars or troubleshooting)
Old 06-24-2003, 09:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, I'll have to try it after I get home tonite!

Quick Reply: Possible fix for for the auto-rolldown problem