S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

S-Pods FAQ's

Old 02-27-2004, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S-Pods are a rear speaker mounting system utilizing space inside the roll bar hoops.

For current S-Pod information please visit

www.streetsmarttechnologies.net

They fit all years S2000's.

No Cutting or Drilling is necessary to install them.

The system consists of: 2 leather covered speaker grills, 2 aluminium speaker mounting plates, 1 each - right & left leather covered backing plate, hardware, and instructions.

The mounting plate holes are cut to accept either a 5.25"(13cm) coaxial, or 5.25"(13cm) mid and separate tweeter. I HIGHLY reccommend components over coaxials if your budget will allow. Components offer much more clarity. The holes are cut to 4.75"(12cm).

*note: A customer of mine recently used MB quartz components. If you are planning to use high end speakers with dedicated mounting plates such as these, you must first send me the mounting plates so I can insure a perfect fit.

Mounting depth is not an issue with either coaxials or components, 3.25"(8.3cm) is available.

Component tweeters are mounted with double stick tape through the mounting plate to the plastic roll bar cover. Holes for them are drilled to 2"(5cm).

Coaxial tweeter protrusion is an issue. 1/8"(3cm) past mounting surface will clear the speaker grill. 1/4"(5mm) will touch the grill's foam backing if mounted from the front. 1/4" or more can be accommodated by mounting the speaker behind the mounting plate. This works fine but takes a lot of patience to start the mounting screws blind.

Pricing
The price is: $240USD + shipping + Tax(CA only) + 3% Pay Pal fee (Pay Pal may be used for credit card orders, or direct bank transfers) <a href='http://www.paypal.com' target='_blank'>www.paypal.com[/URL]
I accept checks only for US orders (no fees). International customers must use PayPal.
UPS Ground shipping in the contenential US is $10.
California residents add 7.75% tax.

International orders are typically $280-$300USD total, but this is subject to change depending on location and current shipping rates.

Shipping
Domestic orders usually ship within 1 business day of payment.
International orders usually ship within 5 business days of payment for the best shipping rate.

Ordering
Send a PM to: marks2002, or e-mail to: manning1@frontiernet.net (this is also my Pay Pal account name)

FAQ's
Why do I need S-Pods? The speakers are not obstructed by the seatbacks as in some other rear speaker mounting solutions. They offer a nearly unlimited choice of speakers vs Hondas very expensive paper cone speakers.

How do they look? High quality materials and construction are used. They look like they belong on the car.

How do they sound? This is very subjective but: a cheap set of coaxials in S-Pods sound 100% better than stock. Decent components sound 200% better.
(Check the S-Pod consolidated info thread for much discussion on the subject.)

Will you discount them? No, they are very reasonably priced considering the labor and materials involved. You may be able to save some shipping expense with a group buy. I'll be at a few major S2000 shows, and accept cash saving you fees and shipping costs. (Will be at Sac2k days for sure, will post more info in the future.) Blems MAY be available cheaper at shows.

Will you customize them? I'll make slight mounting hole adjustments if you provide your speaker specs in advance.

What colors are available? Black, Red, & Blue. Black is a virtually perfect color match to stock. Red and Blue are a very close match, maybe 1 shade off - barely if at all noticable.

Can I install them myself? Most do-it-yourselfers can in a couple of hours. The hardest part is separating the plastic rollbar hoops. This is done by striking through the back of the hoop with the palm of your hand several times. (I believe this is worth the effort to avoid drilling into your baby.)

Shops typically charge @$50 to install them.

How long will they be available? As long as there is a demand, maybe a few years after S2000's go out of production.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S-Pods Pictures Only

Note: The flash in some pics reflects more off of the plastic than leather. Don't worry, they are a very close color match.

Installed - rear view:

Backing plates:

Speaker Mounting Plates:

Installed - front view:

Speaker Grill - rear view uninstalled:

Installed - without Speaker Grill