S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

SLK Mesh Windscreen Installation

Old 05-06-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLK Mesh Windscreen Installation

After owning the S2000 for 2 1/2 years, I finally decided to try my old SLK mesh windscreen over our rollbars. It fits perfect! The two snaps are the exact same as our top cover uses and I didn't have to remove the rollbar covers. I took one test drive tonight up to 80 mph with windows up and the cabin is indeed less turbulent. Much better than the full height plastic inserts (I owned one). Of course the secret compartment isn't useable with this. If someone else has already done this, I must have missed it.

How did I do it.....

First, I had to locate the holes. The SLK windscreen has an internal elastic band across the top from snap to snap. It is quite stiff though. With one knee in each seat, I stretched the screen as far as I could, trying to keep it centered. It is important that the screen is stretched over the back half (towards rear of car) of the roll bars, because that is what holds it in place once the wind kicks up. This also results in a mesh lip across the top that helps redirect airflow (IMHO). You'll notice black electrical tape in the pictures that I used to mark the windscreen location, one side at a time. I measured 5 times to be sure, then lowered the holes about 3/16" each, assuming I wasn't putting the full tension. I also measured to make sure the holes were in the same location on each side.

Second, I 'stole' the snaps from where the top cover elastic bands attach (near gas door release). To get at the nuts on the backside, I removed the rear 'speaker' panels and the necessary panels were free to move. I might replace these snaps, or might not, since I never use the top cover.

Third, time to drill some holes! The volume behind the rollbar snap locations is empty and can be reached by just removing the seat belt anchor bolts. If you are uncomfortable removing and replacing these bolts, I suggest finding someone who knows what they are doing. To drill the holes, the top needs to raised some to get a direct line of site - you'll understand. I used a 1/4" bit, but had to ream out the hole a bit for a good fit. The stock holes for these snaps are oversized by the way.

Fourth, installing the snaps. By reaching in through the seat belt anchor area, I held the nut on the inside of the new hole and threaded the snap in place. Forget getting a wrench inside the rollbar, but my fingers were able to do the job. A lock or friction washer or such might help. I did use a small adjustable wrench for the final snap tightening on the outside though. Had I thought of it, a socket would have been perfect to hold the internal nut, oh well.

There are two other nylon straps (not snaps) on the SLK windscreen that ended up directly inside the seat belt anchors. Their purpose is to tighten the bottom of the windscreen, but mine is already pretty tight.

I know some people don't like the look of a mesh windscreen, but unlike many mods it has a purpose besides looks. It made a big differnece on my SLK and it will as well on the S2000. My girlfriend has an Oris mesh panel on her Miata (same as OEM Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, VW). The difference was remarkable since the stock Miata has practically no rear wind protection.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can you see out the back?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:30 AM

You can see out the back, but at night it might be tougher to make out a police car. The mesh also helps with headlight glare, but monster trucks may still shine over it.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:19 AM

Have you tried opening the secret compartment? Doesnt look like it can open.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:53 PM

Nice mod. How long does it take to put on and take off?
Old 05-07-2005, 01:02 PM

Secret compartment is not usable while the screen is on. One snap can be released even while the top is up, then the compartment will open. I think it would be difficult to re-attach the snap with the top up.

Taking the whole thing off takes a few seconds. Putting it on involves snapping one side, placing the screen over the rollbars, then stretching with one hand to the other snap. 30 seconds I guess, including walking around the car.

I noticed early this morning with overcast skies, cars without their headlights off were harder to see. Not invisible, but not obvious either.

Edit - I wrongly assumed the secret compartment was not usable with the mesh in place. My door raises about 6" so I can see into the front tray and reach into the back one.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:16 PM

Seems like a good mod. 30secs isn't bad at all. I may do it myself.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:45 AM

I have figured out recently that the mesh can be lowered and raised without undoing the snaps. Even with the top up, I can just pull the mesh on or off of the rollbars. This helps with night visibility with the top up and tinted windows.