S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

wiring though the firewall

Old 03-09-2002, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring though the firewall

Apologies in advance for the dumb question, but... I'm trying to install a thermometer, and want to know how to thread the temperature probe wire from the passenger compartment to the engine compartment (where it'll get a good reading). I realize that there are two main grommets, one on each side, but how do I get the $#%! wire through? How much of the carpet/padding/insulation/interior body panels have to be removed?

Seems like something for which there should be a previous thread with instructions, but I couldn't find any.
Old 03-09-2002, 07:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got a thermometer but I put the sensor on the inside surface of the outer skin just in front of the driver's door. I've tried it in several places in and around the engine area and the engine heat still manages to get to the sensor to make it incorrect. Unless you have a long enough wire to run it all the way up and inside the front bumper cover, it won't be accurate. However, if you really need to do it that way, there is a place in the passenger footwell that you can run wires through. You will be able to get at it better if you remove the battery. It's just under and behind the battery.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the comments.

I have 10' of wire, so it should reach to the front intake area. The instructions say it's better to mount it on non-metal surfaces, but I may give up and put it in the door hinge area as you've done. It does get awfully sunny down here in Texas, so I'm worried it'll read high. At least it'll be better being Spa Yellow paint than black!

I'm not wild about taking out the battery, having to reset the radio, etc., but I tried to snake a wire through the upper grommet, and just couldn't get it through all the stuff under the base of the windshield. The lower one should be easier.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:54 AM

If you still need to 'cleanly' get a wire from the passanger compartment to the firewall, I highly suggest the following:

1) Locate your radio code.
2) Remove your cars battery.
3) Behind the battery is a LARGE gromet.
A) Unwind the black tape around the gromet and its wires..
B) (The easy part) Remove the gromet
C) Using a long metal wire, push the wire through, it'll come out in the passanger compartment.
D) Tape your wire to the metal one.. and pull wire through.
E) Run wire through gromet
F) (The HARRRRD PART) Put the gromet back in the firewall... This is a serious b**ch, and took me about 1hr!! (Of course, I had a 8gauge wire pushed through it)
G) Restore tape around wires.
4) Put battery back in
5) Enter radio code

All done.
(And I'm serious about what a pain it is to get that gromet back in)
-- Aaron
Old 03-11-2002, 10:11 AM
Rex

Here is another way through the firewall, iIf you do not have the Hood Switch option on your alarm. There is a grommet in the firewall almost directly in front of the steering wheel. You can get at it above the brake pedal, or from the engine compartment. See page 4 of this document (http://www.handa-accessories.com/S2000/s2k...khoodswitch.pdf) for a picture. There are no panels to remove. You can punch or cut a hole in the grommet to pas the wire through.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been able to do this by duct taping the wire to a very very long screw driver, and penetrating the grommet with the screw driver, with the wire attached. Once's it's through, slowly pull it along.

-- Chris
Old 03-11-2002, 02:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by amartin
[B]If you still need to 'cleanly' get a wire from the passanger compartment to the firewall, I highly suggest the following: