S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Original vs Replica

Old 08-26-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original vs Replica

My first modification was a gear knob. Now, don't laugh. Bear in mind, I was seventeen at the time, and didn't exactly have a high paying job. But it was still exciting. My first foray into the wonderful and expensive world of modification began with a Greddy gear knob for my EM1 Civic.

As the years passed, and I moved on from one car to another, I stopped being shy about what I wanted to do to the car. By the time I had my Evo, I was comfortable changing the wheels, exhaust, suspension, sway bars, intake, injectors, stereo, the list went on. And don't even start me on anything that was carbon fibre. That evil dark weave had me hooked the first time I picked up a piece.

Begin a conversation with anyone that has changed something on their car, and you'll almost always hear some new perspective on why they did it. Now, dwell into the topic area of buying genuine vs replica, and people split into almost two well defined camps, where you can feel them almost rolling up their mental sleeves, preparing for a verbal battle.

I'll tell you where I sit, and I'll tell you why. Given my background, I have always loved modifications from a scientific and engineering perspective. I want to understand why they designed a front bumper in a certain way, and what aerodynamic advantages it has over others. I am interested in how the weight and rotating mass of a certain wheel will affect how my car will drive. Yes, feel free to brand me a nerd, it's not the first time. It goes without saying, function was key for me, but not without some form thrown in for good measure.

With the above in mind, I have a lot of respect for companies that pour thousands of man hours, and hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars, into research and development when developing a product. And so, for the most part, I have always told myself that either I buy genuine, or I keep it stock. And by genuine, I am not talking about the source of manufacture, this is not a JDM vs the world argument. I look at each manufacturer, to see what they are all about, and I go from there.

I remember seeing a copied version of the famous TE37s on a shelf at a local tyre store. Looking more closely, I saw the sticker's font had been cleverly reshaped to say "VORK WHEELS", reading "VOLK" from far away. It made me laugh. Looking at it closely, I started to find faults with it. The weight, the paint finish, the more I looked, the less I wanted to. I know what genuine Volk wheels look like, having been lucky enough to own my dream wheels (CE28Ns) on my Evo. But I won't sit here and lie to you. It was extremely tempting. $1000 vs $3300. I could buy new wheels and tyres, and still have enough money to go on a holiday. Or, I could buy genuine.

Looking back on all my modifications, from that Greddy gear knob till now, I am struggling to remember a time that I bought something that was a replica of something else. I don't know why exactly. It's not that I am wealthy, far from it. I have had a lot of responsibilities since I was young, financially and otherwise, so I never go the chance to spend every paycheck on my car like some of my buddies did. And yes, just like back then, I am still tempted to jump in and buy a replica bodykit, some wheels, some cheap suspension, and save myself thousands and thousands of dollars. But ... I can't bring myself to do it.

Does that mean that I never will? To be honest, I don't know. Perhaps, and then again, perhaps not. What I want to know is, where do you stand? Does it make you angry when you see someone with a replica set of your wheels, when you forked out three times as much? Or, are you happy to buy a replica bodykit, and while you understand and appreciate how much effort the original manufacturer went to, you simply can't justify spending a ton of money on a kit.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 AM

Using your "Vork" wheel example, I think some replicas are just that. Replicas. Think of those heavy, imperfect Vork wheels. You're paying $1000 for a $1000 product. The quality is subpar. That's why you're only paying $1000 versus $3300.

I'm kind of on the fence on this one. Some replicas I'm okay with. Like interior, wheels, and body pieces where no r&d was done. In those instances, you're paying for quality. But engine parts and suspensions are a completely different story. Replicating a part like a header, where hours upon hours of testing and research were done to come out with the best product, is just wrong. Stealing someone's design to a tee then selling it for less than half of the original, is what I have a problem with.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 AM

if money wasnt the issue id buy authentic but because it is i dont mind buying replica parts such as body kits or other easily damaged items. If it works exactly the same and looks the same why not just buy a copied item and save hundreds of dollars
Old 08-26-2010, 08:51 AM

Replica parts are for poor people.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have any issues w/ fake parts. I just dont like the sugar coated word "replica". Call it what it is.. FAKE!
Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 AM

It takes a huge reason for me to mod a car. I find that for the price of modding a perfectly good S2000 I can have a perfectly good sportbike. So having two perfectly good vehicles seems like the smart way to go.

BUT if I were to mod, I wouldn't go with copies. I would spend the $$$ on the real deal, they fit better, last longer, and usually are as good or better than OEM. Nothing is worse than spending money on junk.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by fishfryer,Aug 26 2010, 12:55 PM
BUT if I were to mod, I wouldn't go with copies. I would spend the $$$ on the real deal, they fit better, last longer, and usually are as good or better than OEM. Nothing is worse than spending money on junk.
I have the an authentic Mugen HT & the fit is no where near an OEM HT I had. I also, had an authentic Spoon hood w/ horrible fitment.

Just because you spent a lot of $$ on a part does not mean it will fit (w/o modification). Nothing fits like OEM.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Depends on the part. The Mugen lip splitter is $700+ unpainted, and I heard it cracks easily considering how low it sits. I'd much rather buy a replica of this lip.

If I'm going for wheels or a hardtop, I'd go authentic.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 AM

for little things like an ap1 lip i would go with the ebay replica. It cost way less than an oem one and there both polly eurethane and ive heard the ebay lip fitment is just about perfect but for suspension engine or anything else that is important and actually matters would have to be genuine
Old 08-26-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by rnye,Aug 26 2010, 09:51 AM
Replica parts are for poor people.

Quick Reply: Original vs Replica