S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Anyone else have wear holes in their top?

Old 09-16-2002, 05:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone else have wear holes in their top?

Here's the deal. I've got a 01 w/ 42,000 mi and I just noticed that I have a few wear marks on my top. They aren't quite holes just yet, but they are about half way there.

The first one I noticed was on the outside, drivers side by the rear top corner of the window. This one is already through first layer. It kinda looks like the "weave" separated. Finding that first hole made me inspect the entire top.

I then found two more on the inside. Both in the same place, different side of the car. You'll notice that the inner side of the top feels more like a fabric compared to the outer side. If you look inside your car, you'll find a thin plastic piece towards the rear, upper corner of the window. It looks like every time I put the top down, it's wearing it through.

Also, when I run my hand over the top, I can definitely feel a difference in thickness in these areas. Is this normal?? If not, will my extended warrantee cover the repairs and if so, will they just patch the areas or will they replace the entire top?

I feel within a matter of time these will definitely become holes. I'm a little disappointed. The funny thing is that the top is up most of the time, except for summer evenings (Don't flame me, I'm fair skinned and would burn in the 115 degree daytime heat here in Vegas!)

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 09-16-2002, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is the same year; however, I only have about 5700 miles on it and I have had my top down since May (except for when I wash it). I don't anticipate having a problem for quite a while since I'm not constantly putting it up and down. Maybe you should take it to the dealer to see if you can get a new top.
Old 09-16-2002, 07:55 PM

I have a 2002 S and I have less than 3200 miles and less than 30 times the roof has been down, and I am noticing spot's on roof already. I asked the dealership and they said it was normal? Does not sound normal to have to replace the top in less than 50,000 miles.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:03 PM

I wonder if this wear is actually caused while the top is UP at speed from vibration caused by the air. My car is a year old and a daily driver, and I put the top down almost everytime I drive it and up every time I park and I don't see any signs of wear yet. Just a thought.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:49 PM

There is another thread on this. (which is what I was searching for)

I have the wear spots and one side is now turning into a hole. I've taken it into the dealership to have the service manager look at it. He said they will be replacing my top. He's looking into the glass window retro-fit before I take it in for the replacement. I also brought a picture in of a '02 top. Honda is now putting an extra piece of material there. Looks like the cat is out of the bag Honda...

BTW - My car is a daily driver and I just hit 30K yesterday.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:52 PM

Here is the link to the other thread. It has some pics in it.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=77993

This thread shows the retro-fit, but more importantly shows a pic of the added material to protect it in the future.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...50&pagenumber=2
Old 10-15-2002, 02:28 PM

Oh BTW....another friend of mine also has a hole developing on his at about 20K miles. I think you will see more cases of this in the daily drivers than anywhere else. I would suggest an extended warranty to you folks that use it as a weekend toy. I don't see how this can be avoided if you use your top.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:37 PM

Make sure the top is clean. Dirt in the creases of the folded top rub each other as you drive, causing the wear. I personally keep a california duster in the car and always use it before putting the top down. No signs of wear after a full summer's use.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:40 PM

It's not wear caused by a dirty top. The hole is coming from the inside out. Nothing in there to get dirty. It's a crease that keeps getting recreased when you put your top down. Kinda like bending a wire back and forth. It will eventually break.

Look at the pic I mentioned and you will also see that Honda has made a change to the '02 top in the exact same spot.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:52 PM

OK I will. Thanks for the info.

One other thing I do, at least when I'm taking my time putting down the top in my garage, is go back several times to make sure the folds are nice and neat while putting down the top. No hard corners.

Maybe my analysm will pay off.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have wear holes in their top?