Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

back in the game!

Old 06-18-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with your intake selection. I believe that is the one where a couple of people have had hydrolocked motors from sucking in a slug of water on startup from the rain rolling off the edge of the hood and into the filter and finding a low point to collect.

I would hate to see such a clean low mileage AP1 end up that way
Old 06-19-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jkelley
Be careful with your intake selection. I believe that is the one where a couple of people have had hydrolocked motors from sucking in a slug of water on startup from the rain rolling off the edge of the hood and into the filter and finding a low point to collect.

I would hate to see such a clean low mileage AP1 end up that way
i've heard the stories. this is the same intake i had on my first S2000. i've used gorilla tape to cover all the cracks and holes inside the bumper where water might hit the filter directly. i did get a misfire once the first time around. driving on the freeway in oregon in an absolutely torrential downpour. i'm talking biblical shit. check engine light came on. i pulled over and shut it down for a few minutes. when started it up again all was well. when i opened it up later there was quite a bit of water in the bottom of the piping. i'm not too worried having the obvious entry points for water sealed. i think i'd have to drive through a lake to get full on hydro lock...
Old 06-27-2015, 09:39 PM

couple small adjustments to the ride height and went in for an alignment. with the wheels turned to the right i pulled into the shop up their little driveway and did this:

gah! my friend who's done some PDR helped me reshape the damage and roll the fenders flat on the inside. looking like a gem now and plenty of clearance!

also, finally got my speedline hardtop locks:

it's an aluminum replacement for the OEM release button with a locking cylinder inside. also comes with locking screws for the catchers. the seals on the hard top squeak a little bit when cold, gonna put a little silicone grease on them next. secured the soft top latches with some zip ties so no rattles there. here's how she sits now:

absolutely love the look of the OEM hard top but honestly i already miss riding with the top down. i think it's one of the things that make the S2000 so much fun. definitely makes the cabin quieter and feel more secure though.

as for the coils... pretty comfortable ride. with dampers on the softest setting it's a little softer than stock and at the stiffest setting it's only slightly stiffer than stock. sooooo... pretty stock feeling aside from the ride height. i was actually hoping for something a little more aggressive but wanted to try something new. plan to track the car about 5 or 6 times a year but these coils are more DD oriented which is the good news and the bad news. also makes me appreciate the stock suspension, it's pretty damn good! ....just too tall for my taste.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:43 PM

and an iphone shot for good measure!

Old 06-30-2015, 12:59 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

and welcome....
Old 08-21-2015, 10:40 PM

small update:

the S2000 has been making so many loud squeaking and chirping noises over bumpy surfaces.... been driving me nuts! sounded like it's coming from the suspension, but sometimes seemed like it's coming from inside the cabin. thought it might be coming from the 13 year old sway bar bushings, at least had to be suspension related. sprayed some silicone grease on the sway bar bushings and it seemed to sort of help for like a day. maybe. decided to replace the bushings. here is old versus new:

old ones were sad, warped, and dry. new ones were round, clean, and greasy as hell. installed the new ones and proudly drove away. car was still squeaky as fuuuuuuu....!

dug around and found some one on the forums who suggested the hood latch might be the offender. i popped the hood and greased the heck out of the hood latch mechanism and all the contact points. sure enough, the S2000 is buttery smooth and silent over bumps now. i wouldn't have guessed in a million years that the hood latch was the issue. thanks, S2KI.com!

as a side note.... i just came across a little extra money to spend(waste) on the car. ordered techna-fit stainless steel brake lines, motul RBF600 brake fluid, carbotech XP8 brake pads for the track, and about to pull the trigger on a hard dog roll bar with a welded double diagonal. can't wait to get back to the track!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 PM

whew.... just got done tightening my rear axle nuts to 1,000,000 man-pounds of torque. legit.

also cleaned my CAI filter.

and trimmed my rear bumper a little more so my sick ass tires don't rub when i hit speed bumps at 50 mph.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:34 AM

getting ready for the track next weekend. installed the techna-fit stainless steel brake lines and motul 600 brake fluid.

yeah, they are red just like my car. isn't that cute? ran the same lines on my last S2000 and was very happy with fitment and performance. gonna slap the XP8 pads on game day, will still run stock pads on the street.

will be running laguna seca with an organization that allows the stock roll hoops. just can't seem to commit to the roll bar. i absolutely loved the hard dog bar i had on my last S2000 but it is such a pain in the ass to install! after i installed the first one i promised myself i would never do it again. would definitely feel safer with a proper roll bar but will have to think in it more.

also tow hook plate mount. 'cause i keep getting tickets for no front plate. stupid.

Old 10-05-2015, 04:36 PM

oh, snap! legacy plates just came in.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:55 PM

alright, second track day in the new S2000. first time was at thunderhill in stock form aside from wheels/tires. this time at laguna seca with coilovers, CAI, SS brake lines, dot 4 fluid, and carbotech XP8 pads. the brake setup made all the difference. the stock setup faded hard about half way through the day. no brakes on the back straight is pretty flippin' scary! brakes were rock solid this time. coilovers were better than expected for a streetish setup, although i must admit that the stock suspension is pretty dang good. i had a great time but i was slow. best time was 2 minutes flat. could definitely have pushed it harder but wasn't trying to go crazy. it's been a few years since i've tracked regularly. looking forward to getting back into it.

Quick Reply: back in the game!