Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Brand new S2k owner - sport car newb - got advice?

Old 08-24-2008, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new S2k owner - sport car newb - got advice?

Hi Everyone,

A few days ago I picked up my first "real" car, an '02 S2000 with 50k miles. Holy crap what a machine! I'm not sure if it's a street legal go-kart, full scale R/C car, or 4 wheeled motorcycle (or perhaps all of those together at the same time) but one thing is for sure: it's a damned blast to drive.

Since I'm a sport car newb (or nub even) I am still treading lightly flooring it in straight lines only. I've started to get more comfortable with speed in turns (with the thing stuck to the ground like it is and no body roll flying into corners almost feels natural) but I did discover that throttle + corner + unexpected VTEC switch == oversteer. I hit that condition on the onramp within 20 minutes of taking delivery of the vehicle, oops. I was able to just steer out of it (ok I'm not a RWD newb, mostly driving off road trucks fairly speedy) but obviously that is to be avoided.

Since I've never owned an S2k before and never owned a powerful rear-wheel drive sports car before I'm hoping I can get some pointers along the lines of "don't hit vtec unless you mean to in a corner" to help keep me out of trouble while I adjust to this thing.

I'm also interested in anyone who can give me advice on good routes around the Bay Area, California where I can practice and have fun.

Thanks everyone, I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy!

Tyler
Old 08-24-2008, 07:54 AM

You'll enjoy a good track day with the car =)

I think there is a few clubs that does it up there.

the Pre 04's are a bit tail happy so remember to take it easy.

Usually you want to be in vtec before entering the corner so you don't expect the sudden vtec surge...I can imagine that being a little scary...
Old 08-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by dorikin_86,Aug 24 2008, 07:54 AM
Usually you want to be in vtec before entering the corner so you don't expect the sudden vtec surge...I can imagine that being a little scary...
You have peaked my curiosity here. Is it possible to keep the car in VTEC through the whole turn? I guess the real question here would be is the car geared so that if you redline it the next shift keeps you in VTEC?

A highly related question is how much high rev operation can the engine handle with out shortening it's life? Should I worry about how much time is spent in the upper RPM range?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 AM

Great decision on a great car!

Some things to ponder:

1. DO NOT attempt to learn the cars beahvior at or near the handling limit on any public road regardless of traffic conditions - don't mean to be condesending but given your exposure to powerful RWD cars like this, that is my first thought.

2. Look up your local SCCA chapter and sign up for an auto cross event - a parking lot with plenty of room to spin and a course made up of cones to negotiate, drivers compete one at a time for the best lap time in their class. Speeds typically range form 15mph up to 60mph and there are plenty of experienced people there to ride with you and answer your questions. This will teach you plenty about the capabilites of a stock S2000 - they are very nuetral handling cars as long as you have course knowledge and can anticipate/use the high amount of rotation to your advantage.

3. If you are hooked at that point and want to step up to what the car is really intended for, IMO, then sign up for a track day (HPDE). There you will get real track time on a real track. This is were the S2000 is most at home and were you will feel the full experience the Honda engineers had in mind when the car was developed.

For the Street:

1. Too many guys run these car out of oil, so check your oil level at least a few times per month and change at 3,000mi intervals.

2. Too many guys blow engines with missed shifts, so make sure you are very familiar with the shift patern and how closely spaced everything is. A missed shift from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3rd to 4th at WOT = bye bye engine.

3. Tire pressures, as you know are crucial to the balance of the car at speed. Make sure your up to 32psi as a baseline cold - meaning in the morning before it has been driven.

Thats all I can think of, enjoy the car and treat it with respect mate.

Nick
Old 08-24-2008, 09:00 AM

Congratulations on the new whip. Just be careful on public roads because there is no need to risk other people's lives just for you to understand your own car even more. The S2000 is one of the greatest sports cars available (IMO), but it can also be a b*tch, just like every sports car out there so be careful.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Listen to everything SlipAngle said...especially 1 & 2.

One other thing: tires are critical. If you have crap 225/50-16 tires on the rear of the car, I'd suggest a change.

The rear OEM Bridgestone S02 is as wide or wider than many 245/45-16 tires. The stick increadibly well in the dry (can be scary in the wet), but don't communicate much when they are at the limit. Other than the OEM S02, you should run 245/45-16 at the rear. That is a rare size in a performance tire...the Hankook RS2 is about the only halfway decent tire in that size.

Jim at TireRack says that the only 225/50-16 that he's ever tested that is as good or better than the OEM S02 is the Bridgestone RE-01R. Given the number of tires Jim has tested on an S2k, I trust his judgement.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by triddle,Aug 24 2008, 11:17 AM
You have peaked my curiosity here. Is it possible to keep the car in VTEC through the whole turn? I guess the real question here would be is the car geared so that if you redline it the next shift keeps you in VTEC?

A highly related question is how much high rev operation can the engine handle with out shortening it's life? Should I worry about how much time is spent in the upper RPM range?
Yes...an ap1 has matched gears so that at each redline shift you are back in VTEC.

Use a lower gear to stay in VTEC on corner entery.

I've spent hrs in VTEC at one time running the Dragon (east coast version of canyon runs). Car now has 90k miles and haven't blown up yet (knock on wood). Oil consumption goes up the more you VTEC and gas milage really suffers. I average about 11mpg when running the Dragon.