Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

First s2000! Spa Yellow AP1

Old 04-23-2019, 12:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Welcome. Spa yellow really grows on you with time.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by freddydela
Welcome. Spa yellow really grows on you with time.
yeah at first I wasn’t a fan, but now I couldn’t imagine having any other color. Got two compliments on the car in my first day of driving it
Old 04-24-2019, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Spa Yellow club. My wife hated the yellow - but now she loves the color. All of my coworkers and friends marvel at how flashy it looks... especially when they get in for a drive
Old 04-24-2019, 05:51 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Hey, Luke, car looks great, but don't they all?

I'd personally leave the car alone this year especially until you learn to drive it. This isn't a base model civic that needs better suspension. It's not a little BMW sedan either. "Flushness" is show, not go.

It already has the Honda 17" wheels which gives you a wider choice of tires. With a set of aggressive Extreme Performance Summer tires (e.g. Bridgestone RE-71R) you may find diddling with the suspension is completely unnecessary for whatever driving you do.

The "gen1" 2000-2001 cars will snap oversteer on you if you think it drives like a pedestrian BMW. Don't throw suspension mods at the car before you know what you want to accomplish. Honda made suspension changes every two years starting in 2002 to dial out some of the oversteer. By the time you wear out the RE-71R tires you'll know what changes you want. A buddy of mine with a very similar 2002 model removed the lowered suspension that was on the car when he bought it and found the car handled much better. (He also has AP2V1 17" wheels/)

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
Luke Wright (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 06:52 AM

I agree that the BMW and the s2k are two completely different cars. The bmw is like a boat compared to the s2k, and the car had extremely stiff coilovers. The spacers for the s2k will 100% be for show but I can’t put bigger front brakes on the car without them and I like the look of them so oh well. The BMW has RE-71r’s on it currently and they’re grippy as hell, but that car has traction control and can help me out in sketchy “driving on the highway when it’s down pouring in Florida” situations, which is why I’m hesitant about putting them on this car. Although I’ll probably end up slapping them on the s2000 anyways because I really do love them. Do you have any input on how they do in the rain on the s2000? In my BMW I drive under the speed limit in the rain and I’m fine, but the s2k is lighter and has no traction control
Old 04-24-2019, 07:57 AM

The early year apologists (no offense intended) praise the uncontrollably of these cars as making the car more engaging to drive. I'm perfectly happy with the stability assist and traction control on my '06 car. I've driven and never spun several early cars but a buddy put his '02 "in the cattails" in the Metro Parks soon after getting it. Under 50 mph as I recall. On-ramps, ice on bridges, and diesel spills on roundabouts (chiefly in the UK) are infamous locations. There's a learning curve on all these cars but especially the first generation. Honda was concerned enough to made handling fixes every two years to protect the uninitiated. I had the tail unexpectedly swing out on my '06 exiting of a car wash and making a "cars and coffee" exit to the right. Soapy road. Good ole traction control and stability control were valuable. I think a car without these nannies would have put me on the curb like those YouTube Mustang videos. Caught me totally by surprise. I was running RE11A tires at the time.

You're already familiar with the loud road noise of the RE-71R tires, Louder in an open car. CR-spec tire sizes with a 215mm front and 255mm rear will mitigate some of the oversteer with no diddling of the suspension. They fit in the wheel wells without modification. And look really nice from the rear of the car.

-- Chuck
Old 04-24-2019, 08:14 AM

Yup on the way home the rear end kicked out a little bit onto an on ramp, took me by surprise because I didn’t even push it that hard. Definitely have to get used to it like you said. Sounds like the best bang for your buck mod is tires so I’ll go with your suggestion of 215s and 255s, and I’m happy how cheap they are compared to 275s on a 19 inch wheel for the bmw. Only $150 a piece for these tires! Thanks for your help
Old 04-25-2019, 01:53 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

On the question of what type of tires to use on the street, I'll just leave this here for you to think about:

Old 04-25-2019, 03:46 AM

Excellent video!

-- Chuck
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I've driven and never spun several early cars but a buddy put his '02 "in the cattails"
I like how the Brits put it. "The car has seen the wrong side of a hedge."

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 04-25-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: First s2000! Spa Yellow AP1