Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

Greetings from KS

Old 01-23-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from KS

Hey all,

I've literally lusted after an S2000 since they've been out, I am now set to buy one, an AP1 in the next couple weeks, just need to find the right one (and not too far away).

I joined the forum to start early. I am not sure where to broach this so I have started it here. If there is a "better" suited forum please let me know, anyway -

Currently here are two I am in a toss-up over.

choice 1: a 2000 with 170k miles has: CA intake, aluminum radiator, Invidia exhaust, Dev Sport rocker (guards?, not sure the purpose of these), and suede inner seats, otherwise it appears stock. I like it and it appears well cared for - *but* 170k is a lot of miles. Even if they weren't abusive miles, it's a lot of miles... I have a CL link if anyone is interested in looking and advising on.

choice 2: a 2000 with 92k miles, all OEM (well the top's likely replaced (I think?)as it has a glass window).

I've enough (life/general) experience that in general always go with the lower mileage, but if I can get the 'choice 1' at the right price...

Any thoughtful and helpful feedback?
Old 01-23-2016, 06:40 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd go with option 2. Less chance for someone before you to have screwed something up given the lower mileage and being stock.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I'd go with option 2. Less chance for someone before you to have screwed something up given the lower mileage and being stock.
I agree. I think that the least molested and worn-out vehicle amounts to the best 'known' quantity, and when buying used that is usually the best to get. I am inclined toward #2 too, I was interested though to hear if anyone's opinion was that these are such 'good' cars a 170k example at such-n-such price would be good. I am not pimping the vehicle but if anyone's interested in viewing it it is here:
https://wichita.craigslist.org/ctd/5415066547.html
Old 01-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Received 166 Likes on 135 Posts

You've come to the right place! Be sure to stop by the Kansas section from time to time. Welcome and good luck!
Old 01-25-2016, 01:07 PM

Option #2 by far IMO--you have a better idea of what you're starting with, it has nearly half the miles...and it has the correct seats

The price premium will pay for itself in terms of resale value (should you ever need to get rid of it), reliability, and the ability to start from scratch to make it truly as you like it...I think you'd feel like you were driving someone else's car in #1.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:45 AM

Thanks all, like many a post it's somewhat for affirmation, right? lol.

I am picking up option #2 car on Friday, and I am stoked! I am on full sponge mode for the S2k. I knew a lot as I have always, always wanted one, but now it's deep dive time.

The S2000 is the bee's knees, even after a decade and a half.
I am super-excited to finally be getting one (especially the AP1, I *love* to rev engines, lol).
Old 01-27-2016, 06:36 AM

Are you going to do some track days with us at NASA Central?
Old 01-27-2016, 04:20 PM

Not sure where that is, I do motorcycle track days all season long (April to October), I am an instructor and a racer. I have been to most tracks around here: Heartland Park, Hallett, High Plains, Hastings, RPM (nee MAM), Gateway, Road America, and Daytona (Daytona is f@#kin' epic, btw!) But I have not heard of NASA Central, I thought I knew of most tracks...
Also though - MC trackdays are cheaper and more thrilling. Best description ever from one of our students who had done a number of track days in his STi and was new to MC trackdays:
- Huge grin on his face- "Wow, MC trackdays are crazy, in a car trackday it's like going to the sports stadium, fun and exciting, but restrained; this is like the wild-west." Makes gun hand gestures and goes "Peww-peww." (I am not making this up, lol).

So - it's likely I'll go but it's not going to happen too soon, funding an MC season and trackdaying a car is pretty price for this bloke
Old 01-27-2016, 04:23 PM

I do though have the buring desire to really 'learn' to drive the S2000, so on second thought a trackday is inevitable.

Saw this last night, this I'm sure has been posted before. It is to me one of the most amazing and legit videos for the AP1's capabilities, and this driver is *no* joke...
(and not even wearing a helmet, he knows that track though - wow.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5FNEhF3b7I
Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by mykl
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1453908998' post='23863899
Not sure where that is, I do motorcycle track days all season long (April to October), I am an instructor and a racer. I have been to most tracks around here: Heartland Park, Hallett, High Plains, Hastings, RPM (nee MAM), Gateway, Road America, and Daytona (Daytona is f@#kin' epic, btw!) But I have not heard of NASA Central, I thought I knew of most tracks...
Also though - MC trackdays are cheaper and more thrilling. Best description ever from one of our students who had done a number of track days in his STi and was new to MC trackdays:
- Huge grin on his face- "Wow, MC trackdays are crazy, in a car trackday it's like going to the sports stadium, fun and exciting, but restrained; this is like the wild-west." Makes gun hand gestures and goes "Peww-peww." (I am not making this up, lol).

So - it's likely I'll go but it's not going to happen too soon, funding an MC season and trackdaying a car is pretty price for this bloke

NASA is an organization - http://www.drivenasacentral.com/

I haven't done a track day on a motorcycle, but I really have no desire to. As for the STi driver... Let him take your S2000 around track (I have an STi too).

I pretty much only use my S2000 for the track. I live about 10 minute from MAM/RPM, so I get there often when it open. I've got a gift card for 5 track days and need to use them up early this season before I move south.

Quick Reply: Greetings from KS