Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

My car was vandalized the first day! & newbie Q's

Old 05-10-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car was vandalized the first day! & newbie Q's

I guess my new yellow S2000 is an attention-getter because the first day I had it parked on the street in front of a restaurant and some jerk dumped a cup full of ice cubes into the cockpit. Fortunately it's just water. Also fortunate that I didn't see it happen or I'd kill him with my bare hands and probably be in jail right now.

Glad to join the forum! I traded my 2000 Boxster S yesterday for my new baby and I'm really enjoying it so far. The boxster was nice too but many expensive maintenance issues. I've gotten so much useful info from enthusiasts on forums like this and I'm hoping to share learning experiences.

Of course, I have NEWBIE Questions.

Is this the main S2000 internet forum? Are there others that are as widely subscribed? I need as many sources of info as possible.

Anyone know a hack for the electric top so that I can raise/lower the top while the car is moving? I did this on my Porsche and it was great (they actually sold this as an option but I did the hack for free).

Can I disable the seatbelt audible alarm? I drive around the farm going 10 mph and don't need a seatbelt for that nor an annoying alarm.

I negotiated a 5yr/60K mi extended warranty and the contract is thru "Century Auto Service Contracts". The dealer told me that whenever I need any repairs in the first 5 yrs that I should use this contract. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with these extended warranties? Why would I use this contract for a repair that's covered under factory warranty?

Like many of you, I want Nav. I don't think I'm ready to cut up the dash but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Garmin's new StreetPilot 7200 with 7" screen. Tom Tom seems too small after using my 6.5" Eclipse in my last car.

I'm curious about the stock stereo. I assumed that it was a cheapie but it actually sounds fairly good at normal volume and I love the dash controls. Hard to believe that it delivers that sound with just the small door speakers and headrest speakers thru the head unit amps. Are there external amps? Is there a subwoofer hiding somewhere?

Can the XM input be hacked to work with an IPOD? I'd like to have an "external input" 3.5mm jack for that so I can plug in just about anything.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the biggest S2000 forum.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=138773

There is an electrical connector just under the drivers seat. Unplug it.

I don't know about that warranty. I have the extended Warranty through Honda Care.

Ricks might be coming out with a unit pretty soon that will put a navigation where your visor is. It looks pretty cool in the pictures.

No amps, and no subwoofers AFAIK.

It is possible to use an Ipod. Head on over to the electronics section.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:40 AM

be careful with all this hacking
don't want your S to get a virus!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:40 AM

Welcome!

As for the nav, I have the Garmin I3 suction cupped to my gauge cluster (out of easy sight). It is small, but all I really need. I can't say the best place to put it for the newer gauges, but nothing vital is blocked on mine.

Stick with the Honda dealer for the 1st 3 years, but most of us have few issues.

The parking brake must be engaged for the top operation, and that could be bypassed. Our top is so quick though, you'll find little need to lower/raise on the run.

Couldn't you hit a cow or goat on the farm. Put your seatbelt on!!

As for the stereo, I would recommend the headunit as a 1st upgrade. There are electronics available here that keep the dash buttons operational. I sold my stock headunit on ebay for over $100 way back when. Bass is lacking, but it is a personal choice to go the trunk subwoofer route.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome, B.

Sorry about the ice cubes on the first day. I hope that's the worst vandalism you ever have with your new S.

I think you should spend some time reading around the board, particularly in S2000 Talk and the Electronics forum. You can use the search link to find lots of good stuff.

Best wishes.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda has what they call the "Music Link" for 06 S to link your iPod to the factory radio. Try www.handa-accessories.com or your dealer.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Former Sponsor

One other S2000 I know about that you could check out is the one on honda-tech.com....but this is BY FAR your best best for everything that you'll every want/need to know about the S2000
Old 05-11-2006, 01:01 PM

that sucks about the ice cubes, im always top up when parked
Old 05-11-2006, 01:17 PM

Don't forget to purchase your membership!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:20 PM

Sorry to hear about the ice cubes. It's okay, those people will burn in hell!!

Anyway, check out the other forums on this site; there are a lot of good stuff that goes around there. Also, I highly suggest that you use the search function. It tends to miss a lot of threads, but it gets most of the jobs done. At least try the search first before posting something that you feel is really obvious. There are quite a few topics that got beaten to death, like:

1. How to break-in?
2. Where is secret compartment?
3. Why does my soft top not come up?
4. How to reset maintenance light after oil change?
5. Is AP1 faster than AP2?
6. What is clutch delay valve?
7. What are the 1/4 mile and 0-60 times?
8. Is the S2000 faster than X?
9. When to move to synthetic oil?
10. My hardtop rattles, what should I do?
11. Can I rotate my tires?
12. What alarm should I get?
The list goes on ...

Oh yes, this is one of the classic ones: "I heard from XYZ dealer that Honda will be terminating the production of S2000s this year!"

Nevertheless, don't get discouraged to post. This is a great site, and people are really helpful. Some people spent so much time posting information about the car, like how to wire the dash controls to aftermarket headunits, how to disable softtop speed senso/e-brake sensor, comparing the pros and cons of doing this and that etc.

Check out sites like (some are sponsors I think): hardtopguy, prestigeaccessories, aj-racing, risk2k, modifry, hondaautomotiveparts, handaaccessories etc.

Happy Motoring and Drive Safely!

P.S. Check out the forum(s) for your local community. You will find more information about local shops/events. Those are good places for your to know "What's a good body shop / alarm dealer in my area?"