Introductions Make your introductions to the S2000 owner community. Discussions and comments from new and future S2000 owners. You will get a warm welcome, friendly and helpful advice. The 'Start Button' of the forums.

New guy, S2K shopping advice

Old 11-12-2022, 12:07 PM

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
OK! Now you can refine your priority list to move "2004 or later" (first year of the AP2 power train) to the top of the list. This cuts out fully half of the cars imported.

Appears there was an aftermarket radio fitted. Common for the radio controls to not be linked and problems with the door. Minor item but the shocks, cruise control, and steering would eliminate this for me. Heck, any one of them as there are still good cars out there. $18,000 though is an indication it's a pig wearing nice lipstick.

-- Chuck
It does move my priority up to an AP2, but still will not eliminate an AP1.

And I also understand that stuff can be fixed, but too much is too much. and yes the shocks, cruise and steering wheel were just a bit much. It was "only" 2 hours from me and gave me the opportunity to drive an AP2 so the trip was well worth it in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
robb (11-12-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 03:08 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

That was a good one to pass on. For me, I have always factored in what it would cost me to make the car into something I would be proud of. Often times it makes what seems to be a good deal, not so much. The cheap can become expensive. I'm glad you are taking your time. I guess I got lucky with mine as it is the only one I ever looked at and I had not researched them until after I had it. Sometimes you get lucky.
A.O. (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 06:20 AM

Received 1,149 Likes on 1,010 Posts

the trip was well worth it in my opinion.
You've already driven more miles than I would.

If you like driving but not buying come on up to Richmond and drive my tuned DBW '06 (AP2V2) for comparison purposes. Ain't for sale -- my widow will do that right after the funeral -- but it's the next performance step up without resorting to supercharging or straining the car. This car is now 16 years old and been in my garage more than half that time and less than half her total miles. Purchased the car off the used car showroom floor of a big Honda dealer in Columbus OH where it'd been dealer prepped, detailed, and serviced with all recalls handled (brake booster). Only thing wrong with the car was the horrible black wheels the previous owner put on the car which were "in the bin" shortly thereafter. (Not really. Someone wanted them.)

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 11-13-2022 at 06:22 AM.
robb (11-13-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 06:58 AM

You've already driven more miles than I would.

If you like driving but not buying come on up to Richmond and drive my tuned DBW '06 (AP2V2) for comparison purposes. Ain't for sale -- my widow will do that right after the funeral -- but it's the next performance step up without resorting to supercharging or straining the car. This car is now 16 years old and been in my garage more than half that time and less than half her total miles. Purchased the car off the used car showroom floor of a big Honda dealer in Columbus OH where it'd been dealer prepped, detailed, and serviced with all recalls handled (brake booster). Only thing wrong with the car was the horrible black wheels the previous owner put on the car which were "in the bin" shortly thereafter. (Not really. Someone wanted them.)

-- Chuck
Thanks for the offer but I'll pass, too far to drive with out the option of purchasing.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:15 AM

Ok, this car just popped up local Saturday and I'm going to go look at it this afternoon.. thoughts?

2005 Honda S2000 AP2
6 Speed Manual
117,000 miles
VIN: JHMAP21455S004438
8/10 VIN Car (front bumper & driver fender)
Texas/SC/NC car, NO RUST
New Robbins Soft Top installed in 2021
Oil change every 5k with OEM filter & Synthetic Castrol Edge 10W-30
Completely stock besides a HKS Dual High-Power Exhaust

Maintenance at 105k
-Brake/Clutch Fluid Flush
-Clutch Slave and Master Replaced
-OEM Honda Brake Pads
-Trans Fluid Flush
-IACV Cleaned
-Sparkplugs
-O2 Sensor Replaced
-New Serpentine belt and pulley bearings
-New Continental ECS tires (225/255)
-Alignment

Maintenance at 110k
-Injectors Cleaned and New Seals
-Fuel Filter Assembly Replaced
-New Valve Cover Gasket & Sparkplug Tube Seals
-Valve Adjustment

Maintenance at 115k
-Differential Fluid Changed

Now I do see a few cars going for sale in this general mileage area 100-150k miles, is there a reason for this or just a coincidence?

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2022, 03:25 AM

Received 1,149 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Looks good on paper. Note aftermarket exhausts are often annoyingly louder than OEM -- some to the effect of headaches. Test drive roof up and down.

-- Chuck
Old 11-14-2022, 03:47 AM

Looks good on paper. Note aftermarket exhausts are often annoyingly louder than OEM -- some to the effect of headaches. Test drive roof up and down.

-- Chuck
Thanks, going to go have a look this afternoon. Is there a way to quiet them down without a full replacement?
Old 11-14-2022, 04:01 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,644 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Originally Posted by A.O.
Thanks, going to go have a look this afternoon. Is there a way to quiet them down without a full replacement?
It’s a cat-back exhaust, fairly easy to change if you don’t like it. Finding a stock exhaust to swap back to shouldn’t be too difficult if you wanted to go that route.

I had the HKS on my car for 15 years, it’s one of the quieter aftermarket exhausts for the S. It does have a drone in 6th gear around 55-57mph but not horrid.
A.O. (11-14-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 04:24 AM

Thanks Sam.. Cat back exhaust? does that simply mean from the converter back?

Also, if the radio controls on the dash are not functioning, is it possible to remedy that without tracking down a stock radio? Yeah, I know most people dont seem to care but I do, that's more important to me than a great sounding stereo!

Last edited by A.O.; 11-14-2022 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:32 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,644 Likes on 1,936 Posts

If it’s due to an aftermarket radio, yes there are adapters available to make the dash controls work. Modifry has the best adapters, it will require removal of the current radio to connect the adapter but not too difficult.
JulieU (11-14-2022)

Quick Reply: New guy, S2K shopping advice